October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
22 May 2015 17:58 #202847 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Jackwraith wrote: And at some point his daughter in the visions does call him "Daddy".

Considering his kid in the first movie was an infant boy, what's the deal with the girl in his visions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2015 18:48 #202848 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Been wondering that, too. Part of the insanity?

More
22 May 2015 19:27 - 22 May 2015 19:37 #202849 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Ready for this: I wish!

Attachments:
Last edit: 22 May 2015 19:37 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, wadenels

More
22 May 2015 21:57 - 23 May 2015 04:51 #202852 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road

Josh Look wrote: Well, it looks like they're getting ready to roll. There's some official word on the casting. Tom Hardy IS playing Max, Charlize Theron will be the female lead...there's a few more. 2012 by the sounds of it.

Wow, five years.

This review is nice. It discusses how a lot more cgi was used than we realize and that Miller learned it making his last three kiddy films. All sorts of insider baseball.

squaremans.com/fury-road/

This two hour presentation on the filming is camera geek heaven, and has all kinds of inside information. Half of that movie was shot on Canon 5Ds that were stuck underneath vehicles, and there were obscene amounts of CG. Miller would say "Fix it in post. If they want a finished movie they'll pay for it."

Last edit: 23 May 2015 04:51 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, ChristopherMD, sornars

More
23 May 2015 03:07 #202855 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Looking forward to seeing this in NYC when I get there in late July.

Can you drink alcohol in the theatres? I only say this because it is the law to drink nearly ALL of the time when I am out of this country to make up for lost time over the previous year.

If not, I may have to use my honed smuggling techniques to sneak a hip flask or seven into the theatre.

More
23 May 2015 04:46 #202857 by Cranberries

ThirstyMan wrote: Looking forward to seeing this in NYC when I get there in late July.

Can you drink alcohol in the theatres? I only say this because it is the law to drink nearly ALL of the time when I am out of this country to make up for lost time over the previous year.

If not, I may have to use my honed smuggling techniques to sneak a hip flask or seven into the theatre.

More
23 May 2015 07:27 #202858 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Camelbacks are passee.

Used to have one, got found, got arrested, now I use more subtle mechanisms.

More
23 May 2015 12:32 #202864 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road

craniac wrote: It discusses how a lot more cgi was used than we realize and that Miller learned it making his last three kiddy films.

Every movie uses a bunch of CGI, even romantic comedies. I don't think you can get by without it these days. That being said (I haven't watched the video), as other have mentioned, it all depends on how it is used.

ThirstyMan wrote: Can you drink alcohol in the theatres?

It depends on the theater. Seems like more and more are serving beer (or stronger) these days.

More
23 May 2015 12:41 #202865 by Cranberries

Disgustipater wrote:

craniac wrote: It discusses how a lot more cgi was used than we realize and that Miller learned it making his last three kiddy films.

Every movie uses a bunch of CGI, even romantic comedies. I don't think you can get by without it these days. That being said (I haven't watched the video), as other have mentioned, it all depends on how it is used.

Yeah, the thing about Fury Road is that a great deal was made about the fact that it had so many real, physical stunts, like the flame throwing guitar (which was real), but they did butt loads of work in post. After watching that video, you realize that George Miller is a brilliant artist/con man, who knows how to make the studios dance for him. Again, the first Lord of the Rings cost 120 million in today's dollars, vs. 150 million for Fury Road. Oh, and they shot without a script, basically. Sort of.

More
25 May 2015 09:19 #202898 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Saw it last night. Floored. Loved every damn minute of it.

The vehicles are amazing. The style of each faction's vehicles is an extension of what gives the faction power. The canyon tribe has their mobility in unforgiving terrain. The remnants of Furiosa's clan have the Harley/Indian-looking bikes, ready to ride 160 days across the salt. The Citadel's vehicles are often massive, stylish to the point of being almost cartoonish at times, and imposing. That's what makes the Citadel work. Their mythology, intertwined with their image, is what gives them power. They need to project power though massive vehicles, throne-like cars, the Doofwagon, War Rigs, huge carvings, the deindividualization of the War Boys, the costumes, the promise of Valhalla, etc. The Citadel has resources and an image they're trying to project, and their vehicles are a part of that. The vehicles of the other tribes made me want to know more about the tribes themselves, having seen how the Citadel's vehicles are such an extension of their image.

The plot was brilliant. The action was brilliant. Max, Furiosa, Nux, and so many others were brilliant. Fury Road drops an entire world to explore through imagery and doesn't need to explain a damn thing about it. I've been thinking about all the non-action stuff in the movie since last night and I want to know more about it. I want to know more about the tribes, Furiosa, Immortan Joe, the Bullet Farmers, etc. There's some really intriguing stuff going on behind the scenes that we only got glimpses of, and I love that. I love the underlying commentary on religion and authority that doesn't require any expose or pontification. The divide between the Haves and the Have-Nots is front and center at the Citadel, and the layers of that society are clear despite only being given a few minutes of screen time. The inking of UNIVERSAL DONOR TYPE O -, the milking scene, Valhalla... To Immortan Joe you're all just meat. Furiosa and Nux are in the middle of it, but Max just gets wrapped up in another thing he'd rather avoid.

I could go on, but I'm really just rambling at this point and still haven't managed to coherently pin down what makes this movie so great. It's the best movie I've seen since I was a kid. Pretty sure I was grinning like an idiot through 70% of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, stoic

More
25 May 2015 10:30 #202902 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road

craniac wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Looking forward to seeing this in NYC when I get there in late July.

Immortan Joe says that there better be mother's milk in that contraption--he likes it fresh.

More
25 May 2015 12:59 #202905 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Saw it. Loved it. Want to see it again.

I don't understand why people are going on and on about this movie being "feminist." If all it takes is having a female lead that can drive a standard and a Victoria's Secrets model looking pretty in a white bikini to make a movie "feminist," then Wizard of Oz must be a goddamn feminist manifesto.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

More
25 May 2015 13:33 #202906 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I saw it again, this time with my wife. She enjoyed it, but was utterly baffled at how someone could come up with something so over the top and crazy. "Who would think of a giant speaker truck with a dude wailing on a guitar? That's insane."

More
25 May 2015 13:38 #202907 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Disgustipater wrote: I saw it again, this time with my wife. She enjoyed it, but was utterly baffled at how someone could come up with something so over the top and crazy. "Who would think of a giant speaker truck with a dude wailing on a guitar? That's insane."

It's better than bagpipes.

More
25 May 2015 22:16 #202930 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
I've seen a lot of action movies over the years. Fury Road just fired them all. In two hours, there was a great quantity, variety and intensity of action thrown up in the screen, with a decent story beneath it all. Near the end, I was actually getting slightly exhausted by the action, but then Miller throws in some additional variety, like those bendy-pole assault rigs. Things got really chaotic by that point, and it seemed like half the cast had just switched vehicles. Still, all that said, I slightly prefer The Road Warrior as an overall movie, for having two outstanding badguys and that whacky Gyro Captain.

Lots of depth to the visual information in Fury Road, inviting a viewer to watch it again and pick up on more. I liked how the gas pedal on the War Rig was the device that they use at a shoe store to measure your foot size. And when that little wind-up music toy appeared late in the movie, it made me realize that it was possible that one of those brides of the warlord might just be the daughter of the feral kid from The Road Warrior. Depends on how much time passed in that world, but possible.

I've never been a huge fan of Charlize Theron in the past. Nothing against her, but beyond her surface beauty, I didn't see anything remarkable or memorable about her. That changed today, when she totally sold me on her part as Furiosa. She shared so many scenes with a bunch of nubile babes, but blew them off the screen with her intensity.

The plight of the War Boy who joined the good guys was touching. Doomed to die of cancer, raised in a sick and dysfunctional society, but so easily swayed to a new cause just because somebody cared about him. And yet I was even more moved by the plight of the Many Mothers, who were clinging desperately to the dying vestiges of their world, yet kicking so much ass in the final desperate run back to the Citadel. I suppose that can see why those Men's Rights wankers are upset, but they should just cowboy up and stop whining like babies.

Years ago here at F:AT, somebody came up with an arbitrary point system for measuring the AmeriTrash level of a movie. IIRC, The Road Warrior had the high score. I assume that Fury Road has actually outscored it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds