October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
02 Jun 2015 22:02 #203289 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Mad Dog wrote: I've always thought the first movie takes place at the start of the apocalypse. Things are starting to turn bad and lawless gangs are sprouting up, but mostly it hasn't reached the more isolated areas yet. People are still going about their business like everything is going to return to normal. Then shit really hits the fan after the first movie and we get the montage at the start of Road Warrior.

That's likely the perspective of somebody who saw the movies out of order. At the time that the original Mad Max was the only movie in the franchise, there was no perception of a collapse of civilization. There's no way that a slick attorney is getting a violent psycho out of trouble when civilization is falling apart.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2015 22:28 #203290 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Considering the police station was basically an abandoned building, civilization was at least on the decline.

More
03 Jun 2015 00:36 #203302 by eekamouse
Replied by eekamouse on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Shellhead wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: I've always thought the first movie takes place at the start of the apocalypse. Things are starting to turn bad and lawless gangs are sprouting up, but mostly it hasn't reached the more isolated areas yet. People are still going about their business like everything is going to return to normal. Then shit really hits the fan after the first movie and we get the montage at the start of Road Warrior.

That's likely the perspective of somebody who saw the movies out of order. At the time that the original Mad Max was the only movie in the franchise, there was no perception of a collapse of civilization. There's no way that a slick attorney is getting a violent psycho out of trouble when civilization is falling apart.

I'm kind of in the middle. I feel the original film is basically, "In the future, people are mostly dicks to each other... because malaise.... and crazy. They're really crazy." I half expected life to be a blend of the first two Mad Max movies by the time I was the age I am now.

More
03 Jun 2015 09:09 #203311 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Michael Barnes wrote: On Shell's comments about Mad Max- the bit with the lawyer is all part of the vigilante genre, especially in the 1970s. A key component of those movies (again, think Dirty Harry and Death Wish) is a failure of the legal system...so it's important genre-wise for that lawyer to show up and get the gang member out while the cops are powerless to do anything about it.

Not only that, but the freed gang member then goes on and gets revenge by killing the main character's cop buddy.

I like how Max's leg wound at the end is addressed in future films with the metal brace. Not too sure about the part with the bike driving over his arm (probably broken by then) and yet he still manages to pick up and shoot his shotgun though. Typical of action movies I suppose.

More
03 Jun 2015 09:24 #203314 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Shellhead wrote:

I have it on VHS. The blurb on the back clearly mentions the movie is post-apoc, which I found weird. It was probably written after Road Warrior.

Mel Gibson sizzles in this cult classic that made him an international superstar. It is sometime in the near future. The interstate highways have become white line nightmares, the stage for a strange death game between nomad bikers and a handful of cops in supercharged cars with an abundance of weaponry. Weary of the carnage, top cop Max (Gibson) resigns from the force to travel cross-country with his wife and child. But just as the dark memories of the past are erased, a chance meeting with a renegade band of cyclists starts Max on a path of explosive vengeance. A brilliant mix of action and emotion, "Mad Max" brings a hazy vision of an apocalyptic world into stark, startling focus.

Ok, so maybe not post-apoc, but straight apocalyptic!

Here's a quote from IMDB:

The film is set in the near future of a bleak, dystopian and impoverished Australia that is facing a breakdown of civil order primarily due to widespread oil shortages. (This is not explained in this film but in the sequel, Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior.) Central to the plot is a poorly-funded national police unit called the Main Force Patrol (MFP, derogatorily called "The Bronze" by their enemies), which struggles to protect the Outback's few remaining townspeople from violent motorcycle gangs. The MFP's "top pursuit man" is a young police officer, Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson), badge number MFP4073.

Another one from Rotten Tomatoes:

This stunning, post-apocalyptic action thriller from director George Miller stars Mel Gibson as Max Rockatansky, a policeman in the near future who is tired of his job. Since the apocalypse, the lengthy, desolate stretches of highway in the Australian outback have become bloodstained battlegrounds. Max has seen too many innocents and fellow officers murdered by the bomb's savage offspring, bestial marauding bikers for whom killing, rape, and looting is a way of life.

More
03 Jun 2015 10:51 #203320 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
It's not mine, but the dystopian-postapocalyptic distinction is important between Mad Max and Road Warrior. Reading Mad Max as postapocalyptic, you have to ignore a lot, like the fact that not only is there a (barely) functioning police station and hospital but also, more tellingly, a restaurant accepting currency.

More
03 Jun 2015 11:28 #203322 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
The presence of currency and/or the shell of a legal system doesn't prevent something from being post-apocalyptic. Look at the Walking Dead. There have been two settlements now with organization, rules of behavior, societal roles (police, etc.), and a system of rationing and barter, which is the first step toward an economy (perceived value.) I used to run a Gamma World campaign with an organized gladiator league across several towns (like The Blood of Heroes, another Australian post-apoc film.) No one would argue that Gamma World isn't a post-apoc setting and yet there was currency, a legal system, police, and government. Indeed, the cryptic alliances of the game were based on establishing a form of government and societal organization (often species-based.) "Post-apoc" doesn't universally mean "scrabbling for survival on a daily basis", although it can. Sometimes it just means "drastic upheaval." I think Mad Max has enough signs of that.

More
03 Jun 2015 11:54 #203325 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
OMG THAT MOVIE WAS AMAZING

I'll write up a 5-second review. There's tons of stuff I want to talk aboot as well from this flick...

More
03 Jun 2015 12:00 #203327 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
When Mad Max came out, no one was calling it "post apocalyptic". It was really just an Aussie take on dystopian/"bad future" concepts. It wasn't until Road Warrior that Mad Max was somehow retroactively grandfathered into that genre.

Which, at the time, included such gems as Enzo Castellari's Warriors of the Wasteland, Land of Doom and 1990: Bronx Warriors.

More
03 Jun 2015 12:53 #203336 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Black Barney wrote: OMG THAT MOVIE WAS AMAZING

I'll write up a 5-second review. There's tons of stuff I want to talk aboot as well from this flick...

Too late. We're done with that now. Nobody has anything more to say about it. We're all about Aloha now.

More
03 Jun 2015 14:22 #203341 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
lol, I hear that's terrible.

Ok, so yeah I want to talk about some spoiler-stuff from the movie. I probably shouldn't do it in my review comments. This thread makes more sense.

In my review, I mentionned how I thought the director was smart to leave certain things off-camera and some things just barely on camera (like the ripping off of half of one's face. That was JUST enough on camera to give you the whilies without being gratuitous).

*spoiler below*

The one scene where if it had been on camera I think would honestly have ruined the entire movie for some was the off-camera was the C-section. I was in a packed theatre and there were some people really having trouble with that scene. I think it's an important scene in the movie and isn't unnecessary. But honestly, if that scene was on-camera, I think some people would have walked out. i think it would have haunted me even.

More
03 Jun 2015 19:21 #203356 by SebastianBludd
Replied by SebastianBludd on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

Black Barney wrote: The one scene where if it had been on camera I think would honestly have ruined the entire movie for some was the off-camera was the C-section. I was in a packed theatre and there were some people really having trouble with that scene. I think it's an important scene in the movie and isn't unnecessary. But honestly, if that scene was on-camera, I think some people would have walked out. i think it would have haunted me even.

What's funny about that scene is how I read a review before I saw the movie that referenced a "bloody birthing scene," and I was shocked at how relatively bloodless it actually was. All you see is a (dry) baby's foot and a short length of umbilical cord. That's it.

I liked the quick flash of showing Joe's death; it made the reveal of his corpse at the end have more impact, IMO.

Another off-camera bit that I loved was when Max picked up a gas can and left to dispatch the pursuing Bullet Farmer. The ambiguity of not knowing exactly what he did was great, and it was a nice bit of black comedy when the explosion is heard and shortly thereafter he nonchalantly comes trotting back with the gas can and someone else's blood on his face.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Jun 2015 20:17 - 03 Jun 2015 20:18 #203357 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
The thing that got me about the C-section other than any off-camera "theater of the mind" gore was the setting. She is completely off camera, surrounded by men who are also taking this baby out of her body. There was nothing feminine or womanly about the birth. That's a very scary, very harrowing sort of thing that I bet really resonates with a lot of women in particular. It really contrasted with how Joe seemed to "care" about Splendid. In the end, she was just a vessel for his succession. And then it was a stillborn boy, a future warlord? But what if it had been a live girl?

Another scene that reveals a lot of depth, a lot of information.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2015 20:18 by Michael Barnes.

More
03 Jun 2015 22:08 #203360 by DukeofChutney
Replied by DukeofChutney on topic Mad Max: Fury Road
Is The Rover post apoc?

More
03 Jun 2015 22:32 #203361 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Replied by Ancient_of_MuMu on topic Mad Max: Fury Road

DukeofChutney wrote: Is The Rover post apoc?

Yes. It is a slow burn vengeance film and much closer to the original Mad Max than Fury Road. It is in the first few years after the apocalypse so things haven't gone completely to hell.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds