October 09, 2023
2426 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Mad Max: Fury Road

More
11 Dec 2014 08:12 #192425 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Overall, pretty good. The 2nd half of the trailer worries me, though. Looks like lots of shitty CG in the sand storm. Obviously any modern movie has to do CG, but Mad Max's claim to fame is its amazing stunts and gritty realism.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2014 09:12 #192431 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Giving it a pass, because it has so much good stunt work elsewhere. James Cameron would CGI a guy eating a sandwich. I think Fincher has actually done that, except it was POV-Sandwich.
  • I like that it's gritty--I don't want fart jokes in my dystopias.
  • The make-up/costuming is on-point. Some cosplayers are probably getting ready for ComicCon already.
  • I did some frame-by-frame pauses in hi-def--there is some weird shit in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Gregarius

More
11 Dec 2014 09:38 #192434 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
I am totally seeing this one.

And David Fincher is awesome, so if he wants a CG sandwich, let him be.

More
11 Dec 2014 10:21 #192441 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Exciting trailer. Looks like Miller may have cynically decided to re-film The Road Warrior with a bigger budget and a lot more action. But maybe I'm okay with that. In my book, The Road Warrior was one of the finest movies ever made. Great chase scenes. Great action. Just enough talking. So many memorable characters. Some humor, a little romance, and some keen insight into human nature.

More
11 Dec 2014 10:41 #192450 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
RW is my favorite movie of all time!

More
11 Dec 2014 16:45 #192497 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road

Sagrilarus wrote: Looks like a Transformers film done in browns.

TAKE IT BACK!

I'm on board.

More
11 Dec 2014 21:45 #192517 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road

wadenels wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Looks like a Transformers film done in browns.

TAKE IT BACK!

I'm on board.

Road Warrior had great pacing, a nice mix of faster and slower passages. It would be out of the theaters in 48 hours if it was released today though, because that's no longer considered compelling for its genre. If this is more of that I'm all in, but I'm concerned it's going to be "an amazing thrill-ride of non-stop action!" At that point it will merely be good.

I appreciate trailers are supposed to be crazy exciting, so I'm optimistic they'll work a little of the Mad Max magic into it. I'll be interested to see how the paint the world, given that the first three show a civilization sliding back into its medieval former self. In the last film they were out of fuel, so I don't know if this one is supposed to be a continuation or something inserted in the middle.

S.

More
11 Dec 2014 22:24 - 11 Dec 2014 22:49 #192521 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
It looks alright.

I'm a big fan of Tom Hardy, but I really wish they'd gone with Mel if it's going to be called 'Mad Max'. In my mind, there are some characters that are simply tied to the actor that portrayed them. Jack Burton is Kurt Russell. The Terminator is Arnold. Peter Venkman is Bill Murray.

Mad Max is Mel Gibson.

I understand Hollywood isn't hip on Mel, and I won't get into politics, but if that's the case, and you want to reboot a franchise, why not simply go with a new character? You have free reign to play in the world then.

I said it on page one (4 years ago) and stand by it...in his current state (grizzled, pissed off, wacked out, and probably feeling against the world) Mel Gibson would be in the _perfect_ frame of mind to play an older Mad Max. I'd like to see where the character and the world is at 30yrs later.

This, while looking fun, doesn't seem to me that it'll add much to the story besides a take on the Road Warrior with modern special effects.

Could have been something cool and lasting, but instead it seems to likely be a fun night at the theater. I'm up for that too, but feels like a missed opportunity.

EDIT: And another thought...as this looks like a new take on the Road Warrior...why go there? If you want to simply revisit one of the films, but dress it up with updated technical know how...why not redo the original? Start from scratch and go. Or even redo ThunderDome if you're at a total loss as to what do to. I mean why cause comparisons against what many consider the best of the originals and one of the greatest action films ever made? It seems like a lose-lose...either this'll not be as good as the Road Warrior, or the Road Warrior will no longer be as cherished.

(Obviously, I say the above if this, indeed, is similar to the Road Warrior...and it appears to be.)
Last edit: 11 Dec 2014 22:49 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
12 Dec 2014 10:56 #192546 by Sagrilarus

Mr. White wrote:
Mad Max is Mel Gibson.

There are still people thinking James Bond is Sean Connery.

Gibson is just shy of 60 now, 30 years older than his most-recent Mad Max film. That presents some issues, though Tron proved it's not necessarily an insurmountable one.

S.

More
12 Dec 2014 11:07 #192548 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
I have to agree with the comments that the vehicles in the trailer look like they drove off of the showroom lot at your local new car post-apocolyptic dealership--they don't look gritty enough. Plus, where's the post-apocolyptical Prius? Nevertheless, I intend to watch this reboot. I'm a sucker.

More
12 Dec 2014 12:33 #192574 by Sagrilarus
I'm more amused by the gratuitous crotch shot in the middle of the trailer that doesn't seem to have any association with any other part of the film being displayed. Kind of a "don't forget that Charlize is a dish" sort of thing. We're not just about senseless violence, we have some senseless sex too. But not too much! It's mostly about the violence.

S.

More
13 May 2015 00:49 - 13 May 2015 00:49 #202319 by MacDirk Diggler
98 % critics score on Rotten Tomatoes. They say it makes Furious 7 look like Curious George. Got tix for double date opening night this Friday
w00t!!!!!!
Last edit: 13 May 2015 00:49 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
13 May 2015 01:02 #202320 by Michael Barnes
Written in this thread five years ago...

Michael Barnes wrote: Oh my god that is so freaking weird. In my mind, I imagine you as BOB from the BLACK HOLE, Barney.

The new MAD MAX movie will never happen. It's been floundering around in pre-production for over a decade at this point. I remember reading news about it in the 1990s "George Miller puts out casting call for local punks" and whatnot. For a while, it was being talked about as an "anime" movie (I guess by people who don't really know what anime is), and a video game for a while. If _anything_ happens, it'll probably be a game. The post-apoc zeitgeist kind of came and went over the past year, which would have been prime time for it happen. When a movie flops around for so long like this, it usually means there's signficant problems either with the script, financing, involved principles, or other issues that are keeping it from going anywhere.

George Miller would do better to revisit his BABE franchise, that would have more likelihood of a resurgence.

Tom Hardy is the fucking man. BRONSON is a terrific picture, his performance in that is aim-for-the-fences great. He was good in INCEPTION too, even if it was more of support role. That guy could do big things in the right projects.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Grudunza, Black Barney

More
13 May 2015 08:53 #202324 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
Pretty stoked, but still cautious. I mean 98% on rotten tomatoes could mean all these reviewers think it's a 6/10. I have read some stellar reviews though...

At any rate, we've got our opening night tickets at the Drafthouse. I haven't seen a flick opening weekend, much less opening night, since Phantom Menace.

More
13 May 2015 10:18 - 13 May 2015 10:39 #202332 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re:Mad Max: Fury Road
I've been following Rotten tomato metrics for some time and 98% for an action or sci-fi movie always means it's amazing. The only time you have to worry about super high scores on Rotten possibly meaning a ton of 6/10 is with dramas and ESPECIALLY foreign movies. People gives thumbs up on art movies that they don't understand all the time. Leviathan is a recent example of this, but I realize I'm in the minority on this one.

So it sounds like i'm going to have to eat my hat on the Mad Max biness. I was totally predicting another John Carter and it sounds like Tom Hardy totally has delivered the goods. I look forward to seeing it now. The trailers still turn me WAY off though.

Barnes, I forgot you said that BOB from Black Hole comment. So awesome. Cuz of my IBS/IBD, I'm very much like Bob right after I eat. A total mess.

edit: White, it's averaging a 9/10 on Rotten. I forgot that they disclose scores now too and not just thumbs. Sounds like the real frickin' deal this movie.
Last edit: 13 May 2015 10:39 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds