October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

F:ATtie Favorite Fives - Records

More
19 Mar 2011 14:12 #91239 by faceknives
Dogmatix wrote:

A3/Alabama-3

Alabama3 would definitely be in my top five of live acts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2015 04:31 #198197 by Tim Champlin
1. Jimmy Eat World-Clarity
2. Saves the Day-Through Being Cool
3. Thrice-The Artist in the Ambulance
4. Yellowcard-Ocean Avenue
5. Brand New-Deja Entendu or Get Up Kids-Something to Write Home About

More
24 Feb 2015 08:39 #198204 by Legomancer
1. Ultra Vivid Scene -- Joy: 1969-1990
2. Jesus and Mary Chain -- Psychocandy
3. Shriekback -- Oil and Gold
4. REM -- Lifes Rich Pageant
5. Belly -- King
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pugnax555

More
24 Feb 2015 08:51 #198205 by Josh Look

choosetimright37 wrote: 1. Jimmy Eat World-Clarity

Holy shit, I love most of these, too. Yellowcard is the only one on that list that I won't go anywhere near. Might switch STWHA with Four Minute Mile, but whatever, they're both great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tim Champlin

More
24 Feb 2015 11:38 #198213 by Pugnax555

Legomancer wrote: 1. Ultra Vivid Scene -- Joy: 1969-1990
5. Belly -- King

Nice selection. I had some UVS come up on shuffle the other day. I forgot how much I liked Kurt's stuff.

More
24 Feb 2015 13:26 #198214 by Legomancer

Pugnax555 wrote:

Legomancer wrote: 1. Ultra Vivid Scene -- Joy: 1969-1990
5. Belly -- King

Nice selection. I had some UVS come up on shuffle the other day. I forgot how much I liked Kurt's stuff.

Kurt hates "Joy" but I think it's a fantastic album. I really didn't like "Rev".

More
24 Feb 2015 18:30 - 24 Feb 2015 18:59 #198223 by wkover
With over 17,000 songs on my iPod (yes, I still own one) this is crazy impossible. I just couldn't get down to five albums. But here's a good start:

If I Should Fall From Grace with God - Pogues
Don't Break the Oath - Mercyful Fate
Rust in Peace / Peace Sells - Megadeth (tie)
By the Grace of God - Hellacopters (two God albums on one list? weird)
High 'N Dry - Def Leppard
The Decline - NOFX
Killers - Iron Maiden
Cure for Pain - Morphine
Let's Face It - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

I'm sure that there are better albums, but I didn't want to peek at my collection to be sure.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2015 18:59 by wkover.

More
25 Feb 2015 03:31 #198236 by Hex Sinister
The Fall Grotesque
Cocteau Twins EP/Singles Compilation
Breeders Pod
The Wedding Present Bizarro
My Bloody Valentine Loveless

runner up = Slowdive Souvlaki

More
25 Feb 2015 05:10 #198241 by KingPut

wkover wrote: With over 17,000 songs on my iPod (yes, I still own one) this is crazy impossible. I just couldn't get down to five albums. But here's a good start:

If I Should Fall From Grace with God - Pogues
Don't Break the Oath - Mercyful Fate
Rust in Peace / Peace Sells - Megadeth (tie)
By the Grace of God - Hellacopters (two God albums on one list? weird)
High 'N Dry - Def Leppard
The Decline - NOFX
Killers - Iron Maiden
Cure for Pain - Morphine
Let's Face It - Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath - Black Sabbath

I'm sure that there are better albums, but I didn't want to peek at my collection to be sure.

We always thought you were either a vampire or Satanist. Now I know you're a Satanist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
25 Feb 2015 08:32 - 25 Feb 2015 08:36 #198247 by wkover
I know. Both times I typed the word "God" my fingers were smoking.

And clearly the virgin sacrifices are working, since my Thank You percentage is higher than yours. Mighty win for the Dark Lord!

(By Dark Lord I mean Howie Mandel. I hope that's clear.)
Last edit: 25 Feb 2015 08:36 by wkover.

More
25 Feb 2015 08:43 #198248 by Pugnax555
(Insert standard disclaimer that entries are subject to change)

Dinosaur Jr - Bug
Elf Power - Nothing's Going to Happen (if you can stand the guy's voice this is a great collection of covers)
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O. or Pink Floyd - Live at Pompeii (tie)
Stone Roses
Various - Sarah 100: There and Back Again Lane

More
25 Feb 2015 11:56 #198252 by Tim Champlin

Josh Look wrote:

Holy shit, I love most of these, too. Yellowcard is the only one on that list that I won't go anywhere near. Might switch STWHA with Four Minute Mile, but whatever, they're both great.

Yellowcard is definitely the most mainstream one on the list. It was tempting to put a different choice but I try to be 100% honest with my love for them. Love Four Minute Mile as well. I've actually been pretty happy with everything TGUK have released.

More
25 Feb 2015 13:00 #198255 by Josh Look

choosetimright37 wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

Yellowcard is definitely the most mainstream one on the list. It was tempting to put a different choice but I try to be 100% honest with my love for them. Love Four Minute Mile as well. I've actually been pretty happy with everything TGUK have released.

Get Up Kids seem to cursed with their stuff not being understood upon release. I remember when STWHA came out and everyone was bent out of shape since it was so polished and totally not Four Minute Mile, and look at it now. I think it took 8 years for a lot of people to get On A Wire.

90s emo in general is pretty much my favorite music in general. Diary by SDRE and Pinketron by Weezer and that first wave of bands those records inspired will never get old to my ears.

I put Texas Is the Reason on this morning. So great.

More
25 Feb 2015 14:01 #198260 by Tim Champlin

Josh Look wrote:

choosetimright37 wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

Get Up Kids seem to cursed with their stuff not being understood upon release. I remember when STWHA came out and everyone was bent out of shape since it was so polished and totally not Four Minute Mile, and look at it now. I think it took 8 years for a lot of people to get On A Wire.

90s emo in general is pretty much my favorite music in general. Diary by SDRE and Pinketron by Weezer and that first wave of bands those records inspired will never get old to my ears.

I put Texas Is the Reason on this morning. So great.

Definitely agree with you about TGUK. Another similar situation is Saves the Day's In Reverie. Everyone HATED that album when it came out, now any hipster my age that hated it at the time think's it's their best album.

I'm also a 90's emo guy. Basically anything Vagrant records put out I will love or give a serious chance. From there I've been going backwards to American Football, At the Drive In, Mineral etc. Still getting into Sunny Day. Also a big Weezer fan like you. Love their new album but I've also enjoyed most of their post-Pinkerton stuff to some degree.

More
15 Apr 2015 14:17 #200820 by Shellhead
I have played the first three albums on this list so many times that I had to replace them due to wear and tear:

1. Puzzle, by dada - Amazing first album by a band that never quite received the popularity that they deserved. Three guys, generating a lot of sound, plus they could all sing well. The music was rock, veering between indie, pop, and blues influences. Eleven good songs plus one clunker that was slow and dreary. One song, Dizz Knee Land, enjoyed a second run of minor popularity due to the line "I just flipped off President George." A lot of their music has a certain quality to it that suggests small town guys who moved to California as soon as possible, seeking a California Dream.

2. The K&D Sessions, by Kruder & Dorfmeister - Deep, complex electronica drawing on many influences, especially jazz, samba, bossa nova, etc. It's a double album set loaded with good sounds. There is maybe one weak track featuring repetitive vocals and not much of a melody. Some of the songs are remixes of work by other bands, like Depeche Mode or Lamb, but these remixes are brilliant and better than the source material. I can't possibly choose a best track, but Sofa Rockers is a good starting point, especially if you are getting high.

3. I Wanna See You Bellydance, by the Red Elvises - Despite the band name, the Red Elvises primarily deliver surf rock with an eastern European flair. Fun, funny, and great in concert. My favorite track is 200 Flying Girls.

4. The West is the Future, by Kid Dakota - Laid-back but moody, this album captures the discontent simmering beneath the surface of winter in the upper Midwest. Song after song rewards the listener with compelling melodies and solid guitar work. Ten Thousand Lakes is the standout single, but Pine Ridge is the perfect soundtrack if you're reading the Scalped series from Vertigo Comics.

5. tie: Dummy, by Portishead or Protection, by Massive Attack. These two albums are the fundamental, essential trip hop albums, and trip hop is one of my favorite genres. Both albums exude potent levels of mystery, cool and sexiness.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds