October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

The Blackthorn Key is out!

More
07 Sep 2015 12:38 #210116 by Bullwinkle

Not Sure wrote: My copy showed up, but my kids are frantically trying to finish the later Harry Potter novels before we go to Universal and Disneyworld in October. So I read it myself. Nice work, man. Very well put together. I hope it sells well, because it deserves to.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate the support. Hope your boys enjoy it, too.

jeb wrote: Saw a standee for it at the local Barnes & Noble! Very cool, Bullwinkle! Got my copy yesterday. BROKE THAT FIRST CODE LIKE A MOTHERFUCKER, APOTHECARIES AIN'T SHIT

I love those displays. My publisher's been amazing with their support of this book.

But you spoke too soon, boyo. You ain't cracking the second code.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2015 15:20 #210120 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic The Blackthorn Key is out!
Congratulations!! Sounds great!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle

More
07 Sep 2015 22:46 #210135 by SuperflyPete
The kid needed her mind washed out after reading "The Help", a school mandated re-teaching of tolerance, or rather, propagating white guilt.

She started into the book and is really digging it, or so she says. Timing was perfect!

More
10 Sep 2015 16:00 #210393 by Sagrilarus
So is Aladdin one of the publishers that pushed Amazon to allow them to set their own price on Kindle? I'm curious how you ended up at $10.99.

Nice head shot by the way. The glasses make you look like an author.

More
10 Sep 2015 16:19 #210402 by southernman
Congrats - always think how great it must feel to build or create something, whether it's a book, song, house, theorem. Well done.
I'm absolutely terrible at reading books but you never know, it may break me out of a bad habit.

More
11 Sep 2015 05:48 #210443 by Bullwinkle

Sagrilarus wrote: So is Aladdin one of the publishers that pushed Amazon to allow them to set their own price on Kindle? I'm curious how you ended up at $10.99.

Sort of. Aladdin is an imprint of Simon & Schuster, and S&S was actually the first publisher to make an amicable deal with Amazon to set their own price. They weren't part of that war with Amazon in the news; that was Hachette, a different big 5 publisher.

As for why the prices are set the way they are, I'm not really sure. I was never part of that conversation; nor, honestly, did I want to be, because what I know about the actual publishing industry is pretty close to zero. I just spent my time trying to learn to write the books! I suspect there are much different concerns for different books as for different markets, e.g. children's, etc. that result in choosing one price point instead of another. Also, traditional publishers have physical copies to sell--the majority of books sold are physical, and not likely to change any time soon--and so have multiple channels to consider in terms of profitability. No idea how ebooks and prices come into that. I know it's not a company-wide directive, though, as not all S&S books are the same price.

More
13 Sep 2015 12:40 #210595 by southernman

Southernman wrote: Congrats - always think how great it must feel to build or create something, whether it's a book, song, house, theorem. Well done.
I'm absolutely terrible at reading books but you never know, it may break me out of a bad habit.

I've pulled the pin and bought a copy here so let's see if you can get me to finish a book for the first time in many years :-)
I've cancelled my cable movies and sports for a few months, and while I'm watching the Rugby World Cup (on free TV) over the next six weeks I'll see if I can finish this in the downtown between games.

More
07 Oct 2015 14:43 #212094 by southernman

Southernman wrote:

Southernman wrote: Congrats - always think how great it must feel to build or create something, whether it's a book, song, house, theorem. Well done.

I've pulled the pin and bought a copy here so let's see if you can get me to finish a book for the first time in many years :-)
I've cancelled my cable movies and sports for a few months, and while I'm watching the Rugby World Cup (on free TV) over the next six weeks I'll see if I can finish this in the downtown between games.

Well - I finished it ! To be fair to myself I only read it during my short lunch break at work so to spread it out (these days I somehow feel it a waste to read a book in a day, like i'm missing out on seeing the story evolve).
A great read, light enough for a teen to get into it but full enough for an (alleged) adult to het hooked and follow to the end. Very good effort on the story lines, the characters, the era and locations although I was a bit worried half way in that you were modelling yourself on George Martin the way main characters were suddenly dying off. Loved the science in it (being a techie) and look forward to book two next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bullwinkle, SuperflyPete

More
07 Oct 2015 15:27 #212104 by SuperflyPete
My daughter mentioned that it would be a great movie, and so I will one-up my dear friend and state that I look forward to seeing the film series.

More
08 Oct 2015 19:31 #212187 by Bullwinkle

Southernman wrote: Well - I finished it ! To be fair to myself I only read it during my short lunch break at work so to spread it out (these days I somehow feel it a waste to read a book in a day, like i'm missing out on seeing the story evolve).
A great read, light enough for a teen to get into it but full enough for an (alleged) adult to het hooked and follow to the end. Very good effort on the story lines, the characters, the era and locations although I was a bit worried half way in that you were modelling yourself on George Martin the way main characters were suddenly dying off. Loved the science in it (being a techie) and look forward to book two next year.

Thanks, man. I really appreciate it.

SuperflyTNT wrote: My daughter mentioned that it would be a great movie, and so I will one-up my dear friend and state that I look forward to seeing the film series.

So do I! We're talking to film studios now, though even if something happens soon it'll be years before we see it.

More
09 Feb 2016 18:28 #222128 by Sagrilarus
One of my boys bumped into a copy of this at school, under the arm of a friend of his. He mentioned his Dad knew the author and the kid didn't believe him! So now he's looking for proof. Don't know how to do that online, but he could match your face to the picture on the book maybe. Best bet may be to have you flash him an obscene finger gesture with his name on a piece of paper in your other hand. That would give it a personal touch.

S.

More
09 Feb 2016 20:26 #222135 by ChristopherMD
I finally got around to reading this a couple months ago. It was a good story. I liked that it had a pigeon character.

More
10 Feb 2016 09:26 - 10 Feb 2016 09:26 #222169 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic The Blackthorn Key is out!
Don't know how well this is selling in Canada, but before Christmas, I saw the book on display in the main aisle of the Rideau Street Chapters in Ottawa (ON), so literally thousands of people would have walked past it every day. This was the day I became aware of a high end doll collection called American Girl, where an entire section of the toy store inside the book store was allocated to this brand. Talk about Inception levels of store within store within store. Dolls go for $150 each and there are tons of accessories, even replica iphones. My daughters went nuts in there.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2016 09:26 by Columbob.

More
12 Feb 2016 07:00 #222280 by Bullwinkle

Sagrilarus wrote: One of my boys bumped into a copy of this at school, under the arm of a friend of his. He mentioned his Dad knew the author and the kid didn't believe him! So now he's looking for proof. Don't know how to do that online, but he could match your face to the picture on the book maybe. Best bet may be to have you flash him an obscene finger gesture with his name on a piece of paper in your other hand. That would give it a personal touch.

That would be appropriate, though I think my publisher might not like it. If you'd like, though, you could PM me your address and I'll send your son a signed postcard to give to him. Your kids, too, if they want one. Just let me know everyone's names.

Columbob wrote: Don't know how well this is selling in Canada, but before Christmas, I saw the book on display in the main aisle of the Rideau Street Chapters in Ottawa (ON), so literally thousands of people would have walked past it every day.

Indigo made it their National Staff Pick of the Month last October--following on The Martian--which was absolutely huge for me. It gave me front placement in every Indigo store nationwide, and continued on for months afterward, too (still there, actually). They've been amazing supporters; that's the kind of exposure you can't buy. (In the UK, Waterstones just made my novel a finalist in their Children's Book Prize, so that'll be the same kind of boost there, too.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Dr. Mabuse, Columbob, SuperflyPete, wadenels

More
13 Apr 2016 10:05 #225792 by hotseatgames
This year, Secret Satan chose to deliver me this fabled tome, and I finally got a chance to check it out. I'm enjoying it very much. I think I'm 5 chapters in, and it does a great job of making you want to keep going. Great work!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Bullwinkle

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds