October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Not Superman and Not Batman

More
08 Jan 2016 12:06 - 08 Jan 2016 12:35 #219359 by OldHippy
Remember that old 60's question...? Who's your favorite band, Beatles or Stones.

Well that's how super heroes work too. You're favorite must be either Superman or Batman... I don't give a fuck if it's unreasonable, I don't give a fuck if you actually think Sue Storm or Aquaman is your favorite you're full of shit. It's either Superman or Batman. There are no other choices.

So now that that's out of the way. Who's you're second favorite super hero or the coolest supe you can think of that never gets their due?

I like Plastic Man, he is by far my favorite 2nd favorite super hero. It's partly due to Jack Cole knocking it right out of the park immediately because after that he never really gets a good solo run outside of the Kyle Baker work much later on. But it's mostly because he is silly, has one of the odder origin stories, crazy powerful and simply crazy, has his origins in a Spirit like crime comic and yet is incredibly overpowered at the same time. He's a fascinating character and one I'd love to see more of. Mainly I think a cartoon could be incredible. CGI or 2D but ultimately he'd be done best if it was hand drawn traditional golden age style cartooning, which we will never see.

But a man can dream.

So, once you've admitted that everyone must pick either Super or Bats for their main fav, pick away at your second fav.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 12:35 by OldHippy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2016 12:10 #219360 by ThirstyMan
Me

More
08 Jan 2016 12:12 - 08 Jan 2016 12:15 #219361 by Josh Look
Every time I think I'm ready to answer this question, I stop and think, "Yeah, but..."

Not getting their due? My immediate two picks probably don't qualify, that being Daredevil and Green Lantern. But those are my second and third favorites, respectively.

Now favorite who really never gets their due? Doctor Strange.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 12:15 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Jan 2016 12:46 - 08 Jan 2016 12:48 #219362 by OldHippy
Yeah, I fucking love Dr. Strange and yet I can't think of a single run that I've read. I know I have read several, but none were good enough to stick with me. I don't know if there is a Walt Simonson Thor equivalent for Dr. Strange or not. Cool character though.

I really should have said something like, 'name their best run too', just so I have something to check out.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 12:48 by OldHippy.

More
08 Jan 2016 12:51 #219363 by hotseatgames
My favorite gets his due all the time. Spider-Man.
Second favorite sometimes... Punisher.

More
08 Jan 2016 13:12 #219366 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Not Superman and Not Batman
Punisher features heavily in the DAREDEVIL season, no? MCU and all, but still.

I didn't like Plastic Man or Elongated Man because they weren't serious. Stretching-as-power is always treated as a joke in DC Comics. Give me Mr. Fantastic and ElastiGirl any day.

I really like Nightcrawler. The two toes, three finger thing is fucking fascinating to me. He doesn't really have a best run--the MAGICK series with him as a pirate or whatever, using a sword with his tail--God that was awful, and colored his character for the remaining years I read comics. I think the best bits with him I remember were when battling the Shi'Ar Imperial Guard during the Phoenix saga--he fades into shadow, bamfs down a long pit, &c. I heard he died, right? Probably in some dumb way. Comics suck.

More
08 Jan 2016 13:28 - 08 Jan 2016 13:29 #219370 by OldHippy
Yeah, they generally do treat them as a joke. But the original Plastic Man with Jack Cole is surprisingly serious (although there are plenty of jokes too) it really is closest to Eisner's Spirit over pretty much anything else. It's a serious-ish crime comic and has aged really well.

He also pre-dates all the other stretchy heroes (except the long forgotton Flexo the Rubber Man)

Plus he's the only one who can actually make himself into machines and what not. The others can just stretch, Plastic Man can be a car or a helicopter or... it leads to some great gags and some strange ass cartooning that borders on the surreal.

But there is a jokey element that makes him tough to deal with, especially in the modern takes on the character.
Attachments:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 13:29 by OldHippy.

More
08 Jan 2016 13:50 #219373 by boothwah
I reject the premise wholeheartedly. I don't think I even read a DC book until I was 17. I grew up Marvel. There has never been a Superman run that was even remotely compelling - What an undeniably boring character. And the only Batman stories in the last 20 years that were really interesting were Miller's All Star Goddamn Batman and Dick Greyson Batman.

13 year old me : Spider-man
21 year old me : Hawkeye
31 year old me : Quantum and Woody
42 year old me : Hawkeye

More
08 Jan 2016 14:23 #219385 by OldHippy

boothwah wrote: I reject the premise wholeheartedly.

As you should, I'm surprised more people haven't commented on that, but you're still wrong.

Don't think I've ever met anyone who loved Hawkeye as a top choice.

All Star Superman and Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow are as good as super hero comics can get IMO.

More
08 Jan 2016 14:26 #219387 by metalface13
Is this a DC only question? I grew up on Marvel so my favorite character gets plenty of due: Spider-Man.

Now my favorite character who doesn't get his due? Adam Warlock. I love the Marvel space stuff and the Infinity Gauntlet special event is what really got me into comics.

More
08 Jan 2016 14:29 #219388 by OldHippy

metalface13 wrote: Is this a DC only question? I grew up on Marvel so my favorite character gets plenty of due: Spider-Man.

Now my favorite character who doesn't get his due? Adam Warlock. I love the Marvel space stuff and the Infinity Gauntlet special event is what really got me into comics.

Nah it can be anything. I mostly grew up with Marvel too, but I love both and always have. Publisher is irrelevant. I've never heard of Adam Warlock so that's a cool choice. Minor Marvel characters would be swell, Moon Knight, ROM .. bring it on.

More
08 Jan 2016 14:31 #219390 by metalface13

JonJacob wrote:

metalface13 wrote: Is this a DC only question? I grew up on Marvel so my favorite character gets plenty of due: Spider-Man.

Nah it can be anything. I mostly grew up with Marvel too, but I love both and always have. Publisher is irrelevant. I've never heard of Adam Warlock so that's a cool choice. Minor Marvel characters would be swell, Moon Knight, ROM .. bring it on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
08 Jan 2016 14:32 - 08 Jan 2016 14:43 #219391 by Mr. White
Yeah, I wasn't a DC guy either and could care less about Batman and Supes. My favorite superhero is The Confessor and being a proxy Batman, I suppose I choose Batman over Superman. Though supposing I had powers, I'd probably end up more with Superman's outlook. I'm not a grim guy.

Anyway, my favorite characters that don't get their due are the Peter Parker knock-offs of the 70s and 90s...Nova and Darkhawk respectively. (I never warmed up to the 80s PP clone - Speedball. I felt to familiar to Spiderman). Both being in Spider-Man's shadow I don't ever expect them to really shine. Though I understand, post New Warriors, Nova has had some degree of success in recent cosmic story lines. I'm not sure if it's still Richard Rider wearing the bucket though. I'm also a fan of The Thing.

Despite the Liefield-sized weapons, this is one of my favorite covers, although it's actually pretty bad looking at it now...
Last edit: 08 Jan 2016 14:43 by Mr. White.

More
08 Jan 2016 15:26 #219402 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Not Superman and Not Batman
Man, they had John Byrne drawing EVERY damn thing back then.

I liked Adam Warlock too--that was all Jim Starlin and lots and lots of druuuuugs. I never really "got" Thanos--seems a little on the nose, you know? I always hated the dumb names, which Marvel avoided for the most part. No one names a kid Edward Nigma, come on. "Aw darling, look at his widdo purpu facey-wacey! Let's name his DEATHY MCDEATHERSON."

More
08 Jan 2016 15:51 #219406 by Josh Look

JonJacob wrote: Yeah, I fucking love Dr. Strange and yet I can't think of a single run that I've read. I know I have read several, but none were good enough to stick with me. I don't know if there is a Walt Simonson Thor equivalent for Dr. Strange or not. Cool character though.

I really should have said something like, 'name their best run too', just so I have something to check out.

"The Oath" by Brian K. Vaughn is a fuckin' KILLER Doc Strange story. Other than that there are a smattering of cool stories throughout the 70s that really standout. Nothing worth collecting in trade but rather tracking down single issues. Most of them are pretty inexpensive, too. I've been collecting the newest run by Jason Aaron and I'm really liking it so far. A full story has yet to resolve, so I can't say too much right now, but it's fun so far.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds