October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Let's Talk - Marvel's Star Wars comics

More
13 Jan 2017 13:16 - 13 Jan 2017 13:34 #242367 by ChristopherMD
I've been thinking about checking these out. I read some of the Dark Horse stuff back in the day. Has anyone been reading these? Any favorites? Any to avoid?

Edit: I'm referring to the 2015-today comics.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2017 13:34 by ChristopherMD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jan 2017 13:19 #242368 by Shellhead
I haven't been reading the new Star Wars comics from Marvel, but you should avoid the old Star Wars comics from Marvel. One of the main characters was an angry green jackrabbbit-man, and the artwork was below average.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
13 Jan 2017 16:26 #242385 by Joebot
I just picked up the first trade paperback a few days ago ("Skywalker Strikes"), which has the first six issues. I've read the first three so far. It's good. It's pretty seamless in picking up from where "A New Hope" leaves off. The artwork is great, as you'd expect from John Cassady. The humor and the relationships between the main characters feels spot-on so far. Vader fucks some shit up, so if you liked that scene at the of "Rogue One," there's LOTS more of that sort of thing in here.

My only real complaint is that it's relying HEAVILY on cameos from the movies. Boba Fett, Jabba, Mon Mothma, etc. Three issues in, and they've yet to introduce a single new, original character?? Come on. Star Wars often feels very, very small because there's this sense that there's like 10 people responsible for all the major events in the galaxy. The comics just perpetuate that feeling. Obviously that could (and hopefully will) change going forward. But for now, it's a bit like "The Force Awakens" -- well-executed, competent, but overly familiar.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, ChristopherMD

More
14 Jan 2017 01:21 #242409 by iguanaDitty
The best one is the Darth Vader series which...just ended. I felt the end was a bit off but that may be a result of reading them in trades months apart. Introduced a few new characters, many of whom are at least interesting, and one of whom is reminiscent of the best droid in all of Star Wars, HK-47. I am looking forward to another character's spinoff series.

The Leia one-off is meh, some good ideas with the character but I felt like it was obviously never intended to be its own thing. Which is really a shame, as Leia is a great character.

I enjoyed the main storyline Joebot references for a while, but I felt like it went off the rails in the second trade. I'll have to give it another look.

More
17 Jan 2017 11:12 #242554 by Joebot

iguanaDitty wrote: The best one is the Darth Vader series which...just ended. I felt the end was a bit off but that may be a result of reading them in trades months apart. Introduced a few new characters, many of whom are at least interesting, and one of whom is reminiscent of the best droid in all of Star Wars, HK-47. I am looking forward to another character's spinoff series.

The Leia one-off is meh, some good ideas with the character but I felt like it was obviously never intended to be its own thing. Which is really a shame, as Leia is a great character.

I enjoyed the main storyline Joebot references for a while, but I felt like it went off the rails in the second trade. I'll have to give it another look.

I just finished the second trade, and I actually liked it better than the first one! They get into some new characters (like the Hutt who collects old Jedi stuff) and new locations. I liked the standalone story of what Ben was up to during his exile. It feels like they're pushing into some new directions, which I liked. And the idea of Vader trying to piece together the clues to figure out Luke's identity is pretty interesting.

I started the "Vader" series, which is great so far. Lots of political intrigue to go along with Vader's general badassery.

More
17 Jan 2017 19:17 #242581 by ChristopherMD
Have read the first 4 issues of the Vader series and really enjoying it. It never loses the tension that Vader could kill anyone at any moment while allowing him to also just be clever or manipulative to get what he wants.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds