October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Kickstarter still sucks...

More
19 Jan 2012 00:19 #113343 by mikecl
When Zev first decided to bring Agricola to North America, he put together something a lot like Kickstarter. He said he wouldn't handle the game unless he could pre-sell a certain number of copies. I think he offered an exclusive set of animeeples to those that committed.

It worked...and while it's not my kind of game, Agricola became a pretty big hit. Kickstarter takes some of the risk out of producing a new game...especially if you're a small company. But like the goose that laid the golden egg, it can be killed by greed.

If enough sloppy products get hyped, backed and bomb, then it won't take long to end the Kickstarter craze. Personally I don't see anything wrong with it. We buy games on hype all the time and if you're into the Cult of the New (I'm not) or just want a special deal on a game you think you're going to love (D-Day dice anyone?)then it's a useful alternative.

I'm pretty much for anything that expands or facilitates our hobby.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2012 00:42 #113344 by MattFantastic
There's nothing wrong with doing pre-funding projects or using community based fund raising approaches at all. Kickstarter specifically sucks though for a number of reasons.

More
19 Jan 2012 04:57 #113357 by cdennett
What I find interesting is that I was under the impression that the Kickstarter haters here were primarily against the fact that it allowed substandard board games to be funded, thus crowding the game market with crap and potentially taking gamers' dollars away from better projects. But the article in the OP had really nothing to do with that, basically saying that Kickstarter was overpriced for what you get. So why exactly do you hate Kickstarter again? Are you simply grabbing whatever negative publicity you can find to continue to prove that you are right and that Kickstarter sucks?

Me personally, I'm a capitalist pig. If Kickstarter is such a rip-off and adds little value, then the market will take care of that. If someone can do a better job for cheaper, then I think you will see more competition in this space. The fact that Kickstarter doesn't do shit to either vet projects or enforce the agreements means that they will likely take a black eye soon. If some of the Kickstarter projects start bombing (as in not delivering on promises), the brand name will be tarnished and you may see someone rise up to take over that spot. Competition rocks.

As for bad games being made, well I've seen some publishers do the same. Again, the capitalist in me says buyer beware. If people fund projects that produce shit, well it's their loss, really. Chances are that most will not enjoy the taste of shit in their mouth and will stop feeding the Kickstarter shit machine. Those that don't can point and laugh.

I'm curious if Kickstarter will have staying power or if this will be a fad. Many people that have funded Kickstarter projects haven't actually seen the end results yet. I suspect by the middle of this year we'll have a better idea if this is working or if it producing crap after this first big wave of board games come out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveroswell, Bullwinkle, wice

More
19 Jan 2012 19:20 #113426 by daveroswell
I kickstarted three projects and have only gotten Flash Point: Fire Rescue. The only reason I invested money in that project is it plays solo and I heard great things on the Fort about the game. Alas, I have yet to play (another issue).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.244 seconds