October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2701 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

? About Negative Review Ethics

More
17 Jul 2012 19:32 - 17 Jul 2012 19:37 #130835 by Fallen

Michael Barnes wrote: You know, that reminds me of a discussion I had with this guy once about some of the then-current punk bands in the mid to late 1990s. He liked all that stuff- Lagwagon, Millencolin, AFI, and so forth. He asked me why I was hating on all of that stuff and why I was so sharply critical of it and the scene around it. My response? "Because I love punk".

Some people don't get that when you are negative about a particular game, record, book, movie or whatever it has more to do with your love of the medium than it does your hate of the work. It's more about disappointment than a condemnation of someone else's effort.

(Out of Context & Off topic)
That would be a great discussion. Punk has always been one of those subjects that I love thinking/talking about. There is Punk the philosophy, music, subculture, etc.

I've always been of the belief that the Punk philosophy died as soon as it sparked. Punk was born through a refusal to obey the rules set out by others, entitlement/privilege, and provide a way to forge its own road. Once it caught on & became “cool”, require specific dress code (Thanks to a sex shop clothing line) & attitude adjustment, Punk philosophy was DOA.

Punk Music was played to the very few that were lucky enough to stumble into those middle of nowhere dives USA (Ok, CBGB did let a few jump up on stage in the beginning & eventually featured mainly ‘Hardcore’ from the 80’s on.) & Andy Cap Pubs with a ‘live band’ night in between dart league nights in some butt fuck no place Wank’in’shire. That was Punk. Richard Hell, New Y Dolls & Iggy gave The Clash, Ramones, Pistols, Siouxsie, Damned Dead K’s, a spring board with which to kickstart the Punk evolution. All of which are guilty of “selling-out”(Elektra Records was owned by Warner in 1970), something that runs contrary to the base principle of the Punk philosophy.

Everything that has come since was born & evolved from ‘Hardcore’. Then from here you have so many different genre’s that it’s hard to keep track without a family tree, post punk/ metal/ alt/ rockabilly/ emo/ etc etc etc.

It never ceases to depress me when I think ‘I wanna be your Dog’ & ‘Love comes in spurts’ lead us to slack jawed, retarded inbred’s like anything Green Day & No Doubt.

Punk is Dead.

(In context and on topic) If you have to ask a publisher if it's ok to write a bad review of a product they supplied...your opinion & integrity is null & void. You are now nothing more than a Sycophant and carpetbagger looking to score future 'hotness'. Your name and reputation is dead. Much like Punk.
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 19:37 by Fallen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jul 2012 19:53 #130836 by SuperflyPete
I dunno, there's been a couple times in the late 90s that I was too drunk to fuck...

More
17 Jul 2012 20:17 - 17 Jul 2012 20:18 #130838 by Mr. White
*snip*

(this is now a new thread)
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 20:18 by Mr. White.

More
17 Jul 2012 21:23 - 17 Jul 2012 21:25 #130845 by SuperflyPete
LMAO, this is a funny thread:
www.boardgamegeek.com/video/18708/dungeo...mmand-sting-of-lolth

Squirrel: You dont have to own two factions to play. @ people can play with one faction pack, the cards can be seperated based on the gold or silver symbol in bottom left hand corner of the cards.

Me: Oh, cmon, Larry. That's BS. The rules for making warbands are 12 per side, 30 cards per side. Playing 6 on 6 with half a deck is clearly shown to be the "warmup/beginner" tutorial.

If you want to play the game, as designed, you have to buy 2.

Squirrel: I agree about being played as designed, was just pointing out it can be played with one faction box. Games are very limited unless each person has a faction that wants to play, but overall mechanics and gameplay feels the same just shortened.

Me: Wizards appears to disagree...

Squirrel: It's everything one player needs for a full army but it shows in the rules how it can be played with 2 for a skirmish

LMAO
Last edit: 17 Jul 2012 21:25 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Fallen

More
18 Jul 2012 01:24 - 18 Jul 2012 01:27 #130863 by Schweig!

Fallen wrote: (Out of Context & Off topic)
That would be a great discussion. Punk has always been one of those subjects that I love thinking/talking about. There is Punk the philosophy, music, subculture, etc.

I've always been of the belief that the Punk philosophy died as soon as it sparked. Punk was born through a refusal to obey the rules set out by others, entitlement/privilege, and provide a way to forge its own road. Once it caught on & became “cool”, require specific dress code (Thanks to a sex shop clothing line) & attitude adjustment, Punk philosophy was DOA.

Punk Music was played to the very few that were lucky enough to stumble into those middle of nowhere dives USA (Ok, CBGB did let a few jump up on stage in the beginning & eventually featured mainly ‘Hardcore’ from the 80’s on.) & Andy Cap Pubs with a ‘live band’ night in between dart league nights in some butt fuck no place Wank’in’shire. That was Punk. Richard Hell, New Y Dolls & Iggy gave The Clash, Ramones, Pistols, Siouxsie, Damned Dead K’s, a spring board with which to kickstart the Punk evolution. All of which are guilty of “selling-out”(Elektra Records was owned by Warner in 1970), something that runs contrary to the base principle of the Punk philosophy.

Everything that has come since was born & evolved from ‘Hardcore’. Then from here you have so many different genre’s that it’s hard to keep track without a family tree, post punk/ metal/ alt/ rockabilly/ emo/ etc etc etc.

It never ceases to depress me when I think ‘I wanna be your Dog’ & ‘Love comes in spurts’ lead us to slack jawed, retarded inbred’s like anything Green Day & No Doubt.

Punk is Dead.

Check out "Open Your Heart" by "The Men".
Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 01:27 by Schweig!.

More
18 Jul 2012 02:47 - 18 Jul 2012 02:48 #130867 by ubarose

SuperflyTNT wrote: So how, right now, does this guy know that he has to buy 2 packs to play the game as designed, which is double the price of what people tend to be saying.

The fact that you need two packs is in the official product description. (bolding is mine)

Each Dungeon Command faction comes in its own box, containing twelve pre-painted plastic miniatures (plus the cards, tiles, and rules for the game). In addition to their use in Dungeon Command, these miniatures can also be used in the D&D RPG, with their cards further usable with D&D Adventure System board games (Castle Ravenloft, Wrath of Ashardalon, and The Legend of Drizzt). While each faction is meant to be played by a single player, quick-start rules allow two players to engage in a shortened version of the game using only one box.

If 'this guy' is too stupid to read a product description, fuck him.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 02:48 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Fallen

More
18 Jul 2012 05:22 - 18 Jul 2012 05:28 #130872 by bomber
its pretty refreshing that heated exchanges can happen here but everyone just gets on with it and doesn't default to taking it personally or being all weird, not to mention the ban hammer isn't wielded. Just wanted to say that I appreciate that. I'd buy any of you guys a beer. Except Pete, I'd make him buy ME one. And Loter, he'd get a cocktail. Haha. True story, when I was in Madison on a work thing, I hung out with some guy from Nebraska, cool guy, bit of a free spirit, bit too fond of jumping in the car after drinking several large tequlias for my liking. Anyway, he was a mans man, and said that if I ordered a fancy cocktail in a bar, he'd think I was, and I quote him "a faggot" and that in most bars he knew, I'd get the shit kicked out of me. I mean, I'm a big guy, 6'2" and at that time a good looking 250 pounds, but over here I wouldn't expect to take any shit if I order a brightly coloured cocktail with a fucking umbrella in it. Was that guy just an outlier, was it his age or region, or is there really still that weird homophobia over there? See, it takes a real fucking man to order a strawberry daiquiri my friend!

On the other hand, in New York, in an underground red lit bar with a barman looking like Jeff bridges (still not sure it WASNT Jeff Bridges) I asked, casual as you like, theoretically speaking, how much would a pint of White Russian be. Without batting an eyelid, and completely in his Big Lebowski persona, he racked it up in his head and quote a price. There were three of us, we all ordered several pints of white russian, it was a great, great night, and no one looked like they wanted to beat us up. I suppose a white russian is not pink.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2012 05:28 by bomber.

More
18 Jul 2012 11:26 #130881 by SuperflyPete
Gots to love the "caucasians". I mean, The Dude drinks them.

And you wouldn't make me do shit. I always buy for my mates.

More
18 Jul 2012 15:18 #130894 by Dair
ldsd, unfortunately homophobia is an issue, at least in the midwest. I wouldn't say you would normally get your ass kicked for ordering a daquiri, just snide remarks. The good news is, young people are generally much less homophobic, even in the midwest. As time passes, all the homophobic (and racist) assholes will be dead or marginalized.

More
18 Jul 2012 15:28 #130895 by bomber

Dair wrote: ldsd, unfortunately homophobia is an issue, at least in the midwest. I wouldn't say you would normally get your ass kicked for ordering a daquiri, just snide remarks. The good news is, young people are generally much less homophobic, even in the midwest. As time passes, all the homophobic (and racist) assholes will be dead or marginalized.

yeah but they'll also all be harping on about the good old days of Justin Bieber and I'm a braindead celebrity, get me the fuck out of here etc.
swings and roundabouts :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.186 seconds