October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Batman thread

More
22 Jul 2012 01:12 #131108 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
I just saw the movie. It's pretty great, and looooong. There are some weird plot holes but nothing too major.

Maybe I'm an elitist but I'd have preferred the Knightfall storyline from the comics over anything else.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2012 07:09 #131114 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
Decided I need to watch the first two again before seeing Rises, and I just watched Batman Begins and saw this:

Every time he was on the screen I couldn't help but hate him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
22 Jul 2012 08:00 #131115 by username
Replied by username on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
Squigherder jr. and I went last night at 9:30.....great movie but cops everywhere. We live in Sioux Cit, Iowa. 2 uniforms in the lobby, I suspect a couple guys creeping around the theater before seating were also cops.

I tried to lighten the atmosphere by suggesting that my giant torso was heavy body armor and that I would beat any inturders w my 90 lb ginger club ( aka squigherder jr.!) People in my vicinity laughed.

Also we had a young mother and I would suggest HIGHLY FUCKEN SELFISH GTFO MY THEATER YOU BITCH WITH YOUR 3 KIDS @ the 9:30 showing of any major movie on friday night.

IT got bad enough that people started shouting at her.

"Get out, why would you even bring your kids" etc etc

More
22 Jul 2012 14:18 - 22 Jul 2012 14:20 #131122 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
ugh, that sounds uncomfortable. You should have made another joke about your massive torso to lighten the atmosphere.

Disgust, why do you hate the kid? He didn't bother me like Jake Lloyd does. Katie Holmes ruinses that movie for me tho. She's SOOOO bad.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 14:20 by Black Barney.

More
22 Jul 2012 15:18 #131125 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: Happy Batman Day

Black Barney wrote: Disgust, why do you hate the kid? He didn't bother me like Jake Lloyd does. Katie Holmes ruinses that movie for me tho. She's SOOOO bad.

Because it is King Joffrey.

More
22 Jul 2012 15:51 #131127 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
who the heck is that? I don't watch the Twilight series, Disgust.

More
22 Jul 2012 16:33 #131129 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
That's Game of Thrones.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
22 Jul 2012 18:22 #131132 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic Re: Happy Batman Day

hotseatgames wrote: That's Game of Thrones.

I would never have recognized him, but my fiancee immediately pointed it out.

More
22 Jul 2012 23:09 #131140 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
Alright you primitive screwheads, listen up!

This movie kicked ass from here to Hoboken and back...and that's a mighty long way.

Fantastic. Superb. Stupendous.

Have you seen it yet? If not, stop being so fucking stupid and go now!

More
22 Jul 2012 23:51 - 22 Jul 2012 23:58 #131142 by mjl1783
Replied by mjl1783 on topic Re: Happy Batman Day
I just got back from seeing it. I want to agree with Mad Dog that it's on par with the first movie, because that's the way I felt watching it for the most part. And then the last half hour or so rolled around and... I dunno'. After discussing it with my friends and sitting here thinking about it for a bit... no, it really is the weakest of the three.

And that totally sucks, because there's a lot to like about it. It just has no business whatsoever being a three hour movie. That's really the only major issue, but it's a big problem. There are at least two characters that should have been written right out of the script before shooting started. One character especially gets way, way, way too much fucking screen time. As a result of this some of the principle secondary characters, ones everyone actually actually gives a shit about, just get shafted.

Overall, the plot is good, but again, because of the sprawling, unfocused nature of the script, some of the more interesting and relevant threads get introduced and dropped entirely without any resolution. They just tried to jam too much shit into these three flicks, and the last really starts flailing as it tries to resolve all these different characters' arcs, then tie in continuity with the first film, clean up some of the hanging threads from the second, and so forth.

Bane is no Joker, but he's certainly adequate. This is the first time we see Batman fighting a villain who can believably outfight him, and that's cool. My only gripe with him is that he's not quite enough of a brute. We've seen Batman do the whole move-countermove mental chess thing against brains-over-brawn villains for two whole pictures now, so it would have been refreshing to see a villain who was a little dumber, and a little more savage.

Catwoman steals every scene she's in. I was iffy about Anne Hathaway playing that character going in; obviously, she's drop dead gorgeous, but Catwoman should have a sort of vicious succubus thing going on, and can Hathaway really pull that off? Oh boy, can she ever. She nails that whole sinfully seductive purr without making it campy. She's physically imposing as well. She's 100 pounds soaking wet, but when she starts fucking people up in this flick, I actually bought it. That, and she's ruthlessly intelligent. She gets one scene where she pulls off a scheme totally worthy of Heath Ledger's Joker. Every scene and Batman are on screen together just stands head and shoulders above the rest of the film. And, not to be lecherous or anything, but her in the leather getup... if it was the 1940's, my bow tie would spin like a pinwheel before I transformed into a cartoon wolf and howled.

There's other stuff to recommend it as well, but I'd have to give things away. I have many more complaints, of course, but that would also be spoiling. Suffice to say, it's worth seeing. It's not bad. There are some things about it that are better than the first flick, but on the whole, it just doesn't quite come off as well.

Oh, and the Batwing flat-out sucks.

EDIT: Also, am I the only one who felt a fairly right-wing vibe coming off of the picture?
Last edit: 22 Jul 2012 23:58 by mjl1783.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.272 seconds