October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Return of the Friday Freakout

More
27 Jul 2012 14:53 #131455 by mads b.
I was really just asking out of curiosity. Partly curious about how often you actually do solve problems "with your fist" and partly curious because just talking about violence as a possibility is so alien to me. Don't get me wrong I'm not in any way aiming to be rude or holier than thou here - I was simply wondering about all this talk about violence because you do seem like a guy who is good enough at talking with people to never actually need it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2012 15:05 #131459 by SuperflyPete
I'm actually one of the easiest-going people ever. I treat people well, I am generous, kind in general, and I am actually really nonviolent in almost all cases. I haven't hit anyone in anger in years and years.

Really, when was the last time you heard me talking about this, anyhow? I mean, I know people perceive that, which is fine, but really, it seems that if you talk about certian things even a few times people automatically assume that you're some cowboy barbarian.

It is what it is. I make no excuses. I do add some zest to things to spice things up since I do so enjoy poking people in the psyche with a sharp stick, but in reality, I'm almost 40 at this point and I just don't get into trouble like I did when I was 20. I think that's true of us all, though.

More
27 Jul 2012 15:05 #131460 by SusanR
@ Pete: Would you beat up some guy who called your wife on a public forum an "unmitigated bitch," Sally Rottencrotch" and speculated that she looked like the woman in that Om Nom Nom picture after she went on a gaming forum and politely asked for advice for how to deal with an unpleasant situation at her game night?

Oh wait - her husband is probably a "wiry pussy."

-SusanR
Not prone to violence and doesn't know how this beating up people thing works

More
27 Jul 2012 15:12 - 27 Jul 2012 15:18 #131461 by SuperflyPete

Black Barney wrote: Pete, I usually don't get along well with meatheads (I remember this one guy who threw my Magic deck across the room once cuz I fireball'd him one too many times) but I'm too curious if I'd fit in with your group. Here's a very likely scenario and you tell me how this turns out for me:

It's you, me, Mickey and Clayton. We're just settin' up some game of BSG or some crap like that and I go, "yeah so are we gonna just start suckin' each others dicks or what?"

How does that turn out for me?

We'll laugh and Mickey will reach for his zipper, noting "Normally I don't swing that way, but Shawn's ragging and you gots a purty mouth and some pistol-grip ears." Riotous laughter would erupt at that point.

You'd fit in fine.

Nothing is holy here. Mickey's only character flaw is that he really is crass and faux-racist to a point that makes even me uncomfortable. He really does have a thing for black folks, though, for understandable reasons although I don't condone it. We tell all kinds of raunchy jokes, Mick sits and tokes on a joint all night, passing it between Clayton and my wife (I gave up drugs long ago...) and none of us are possible to offend.

We don't throw things at one another, and games that take 1 hour to play usually take 1.5 hours because we're bullshitting and laughing, rolling up joints, getting drinks, or whatever. We're not really interested so much in winning as hanging out, laughing, and having a great time.

<edit>
Yeah, there's a difference between some neanderthal meathead who gets mad over a game enough to throw shit and a bunch of people who are having fun and just hanging out, who happen to know how to hurt people badly and aren't afraid of conflict.

Billy knows Mickey. Steve Avery, Ken, all these guys know me personally. I'm just me, no false pretense, no bullshit, and all I want to do is get through life having fun and helping people as best I can along the way.
Last edit: 27 Jul 2012 15:18 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jul 2012 15:38 #131465 by Black Barney
that's awesome, pete. Sounds like a fun place to play. I just wanted to check if we were talkin' about a gang that swings at the fences or are totally cool. Sounds like a great group of folks. I hear about the faux racist stuff. My buddies and I engage sometimes in light fare but it's all very reasonable. My brother-in-law goes way over the top and it's SUPER uncomfortable, I know what you mean.

Susan, there's a huge difference between the two. Do we have to explain it? The real life situation totally had someone disrespecting Pete's wife in front of him and others. Pete's reaction is more coarse than mine but I think it's a measured response.

The girl in the forums is a big girl and is interested in a lively debate (judging by the wording of her posts). Internet forum social norms are very different than real life as well.

I like your sig line tho

More
27 Jul 2012 15:43 #131467 by SuperflyPete

SusanR wrote: @ Pete: Would you beat up some guy who called your wife on a public forum an "unmitigated bitch," Sally Rottencrotch" and speculated that she looked like the woman in that Om Nom Nom picture after she went on a gaming forum and politely asked for advice for how to deal with an unpleasant situation at her game night?

Don't act like a bitch and I won't treat you like one. It's pretty straightforward. She started in on me because I told her...
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9683117#9683117

Where, exactly, was that rude and disrespectful?

She comes back at me with saying I'm a virtual rapist, my world sucks, I'm a misguided moral superior, I'm on a high horse.
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9686375#9686375

Then, AGAIN, I responded with a minimum of snark to her nasty mouth:
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9686575#9686575

Then this other dickweed tells me I'm attacking her (because he's the victim's advocate), which any objective person could see I wasn't attaking anything, and I responded thus;
"Hey OP lady, I do honestly hope you resolve this. It must suck to have this happen. If you take anything away from this, take this: Always err on the side of kindness when it comes to gaming with your friends. No win is worth losing a friend or formenting bitterness.

I answered. The solution is so plain and obvious it defies reason that it was even asked in this forum: PICK UP PHONE. MAKE UP. CASE CLOSED. "

Again, NO ATTACKS.

I even responded AGAIN to the dude with the victim card in hand, civilly:
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9688907#9688907

And then, AGAIN, this time with a little more snark, but still civil as shit, aimed at Victim Boy (I figure the OP has realized that nobody is going to coddle her at this point):
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/832290/how-...sportsmanship/page/7

And then AGAIN, with more humor than snark, again aimed in conversation with Victim Boy:
www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/832290/how-...sportsmanship/page/8

But finally, here's Jerry's Final Word from Shanda:
"
There are a few posters who deserve special recognition because of their especially rude and hateful comments. And to them I offer this...

Do not hide behind statements like "you asked for it, so you got it, so shut up and take it." This is the misguided logic of someone who believes that if a woman dresses a certain way then she deserves to be raped.

Even if someone asks for your opinion that does not indemnify you from being respectful and courteous, nor does it entitle you to vent or spew or be purposefully hurtful. To behave in this way and then claim that you are morally superior, more generous and compassionate is especially repugnant. This kind of rhetoric and the defense of it is a waste of everyone's time. Go troll for conflict somewhere else."

So, I'm a rape apologist now.

What, are you kidding me? She was being a total cunt to anyone who disagreed with her, and I was more vociferous in saying only that both parties were to blame, although it doesn't get the douchebag off the hook for going ape shit.

So, fuck her. If my wife ran her mouth out of line at someone and the guy told her how it was, well, I'd tell her she got what was coming to her. Yeah, maybe I was over the line about Sally Rottencrotch and her looking like om nom nom girl, but you know what, fuck her. Don't be a bitch and people will not treat you as such. Maybe let it sink in that maybe since 20 random internet strangers think you might have handled it better, maybe you might have handled it better rather than play the "I was verbally raped" card.

Show me where I was rude to her. Show me where I was disrespectful and out of line to that bitch.

Oh wait - her husband is probably a "wiry pussy."
Yeah, if some guy throws shit at my wife, like I said, I'm on his ass.

More
27 Jul 2012 16:03 #131470 by SuperflyPete
You know, now that I really look at it, I'm wondering what the hell got me banned.

More
27 Jul 2012 18:10 #131494 by Black Barney
someone said it perfectly a few months ago when they got banned. There is like this very small distinction to how to be honest and argue on that site in order to not get banned. I think you were too honest. i THINK you're also not allowed to attack an OP but I'm not sure. To them, it probably looked like bullying and that was that.

You got suspended tho right, not banned?

More
27 Jul 2012 18:15 #131497 by SusanR
FREAKOUT!!!!!

@Black Barney - My post was meant to be sarcastic. Pete crudely disses somebody's wife and then later posts how he would beat somebody up for dissing his wife. Isn't a forum a real life situation too? Good thing (or too bad?) you can't throw a real punch through the internet.

Where, exactly, was that rude and disrespectful?

She comes back at me with saying I'm a virtual rapist, my world sucks, I'm a misguided moral superior, I'm on a high horse.
www.boardgamegeek.com/article/9686375#9686375

Now, now. Where, exactly, have I said that you were rude or disrespectful over there in that thread? That post above that you linked to is so very mild. She practically apologizes at the end of it. This statement was actually humorous: "Frankly I rate your comments as an "epic fail" of misguided moral superiority. I suggest you come down off your high horse before you fall and hurt yourself." I mean, c'mon - with all your giving her a hard time about putting games before friendship you didn't sound all morally superior and high-horsey!??! This all sounds like perfectly normal responses on both sides in a spirited debate. Those "harsh" words of hers makes her a bitch??

I DO agree that the virtually-violated-same-logic-that-a-rapist-uses crap is dumb. But most of what the OP posts seemed to be polite and trying to defend, explain and get the conversation back to the topic she was actually asking in the first place.

You link above to stuff other people say, not the OP. I'm not even going to wade through those again. Their comments don't make the OP a bitch. Or a cunt.

HOWEVER, coming over here and attacking her in public with crude and VERY personal name-calling behind her back is NOT COOL in my book. It just seems mean to me and I don't see how she deserved such harsh, personal insults.

What is a "Sally Rottencrotch", anyway? Wait, I don't want to know....

Freakout over for me. My threshold for some things is obviously different than Pete's. I'd like to freak out some more but actually have to do some work today .

-SusanR
The following user(s) said Thank You: MattFantastic, Rliyen, Black Barney, wice

More
27 Jul 2012 18:23 #131500 by Michael Barnes
Now THIS is a Friday Freakout.

For some reason, I keep seeing the name "Sally Jesse Raphael" everywhere I look. What is wrong with me.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds