October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

2012 Olympic Debacles. Post 'em here!

More
13 Aug 2012 13:55 #132456 by SuperflyPete
Why did I not get an awesome name like Hope Solo???

I mean, with a name like that, she should be pissing in people's mouths at Star Wars conventions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2012 22:09 #132489 by Dogmatix

Dair wrote: Dog, she does need to shut up, but Joey Barton? That's crazy. He is a poor sportsman who constantly let's his temper flare up on the pitch. Hope Solo doesn't deserve to even be in the same sentence with him. I can live with mouthy off the field, because I can choose to just watch the matches (I still don't like it). Joey Barton forces his shit down my throat because he does it in the middle of the game.

I'm a hockey fan above all else. I have absolutely no problem with "temper on the pitch." Those types have a place most sports--particularly because that's also a trait that's fairly easy to exploit for opposing players. That's how it balances out. But, if you don't like the Barton comparison, then howsabout "Chad OchoCinco Johnson" or "Terrell Owens"? Hope Solo is all about Hope Solo--precisely the same mouthy, showy, LOOK AT ME animal. I despise athletes I can't escape from on non-game-days. She's one of them. I guess what it boils down to is, I can live with a douchbag on the pitch/ice/field. If you insist on being a douchebag in every other public space (usually to promote something, if only itself), you're likely just a plain ol' douchebag. She's on that list.

As for talent, there just aren't enough strong women's teams worldwide to talk about her like she's the next Edwin van der Sar.

As for final Olympic debacles...

Russell Brand...really?

More
14 Aug 2012 14:14 #132515 by Dair
Dog, I think OchoCinco and Terrell Owens are fair comparisons (although she doesn't showboat on the field as both those divas did at every opportunity). While I don't love them, I'll take them over guy like James Harrison. Mouthy is one thing, but dirty play that can injure other players has no business in sports.

And no, she doesn't have the resume of some of the top men's keepers, but she can only play against the available talent pool. Not her fault she is head and shoulders above the other current women's keepers.

I understand why she annoys you; I just find I can pretty much ignore that aspect of most athletes. Different strokes.

And what, you don't love Russell Brand? He is one of the great British singers, right?

More
14 Aug 2012 15:17 #132520 by jeb
I thought Russell Brand invented tea or Canada or something. I'm sure he's very famous in all of the Britains!

More
14 Aug 2012 17:46 - 14 Aug 2012 17:46 #132527 by Columbob
When his Austin Powers bus turned into a huge blowup octopus for Fatboy Slim's turntables while our attention was elsewhere, that was kinda surreal.

The light show was incredible, the whole stadium was involved. Before we got a close look at the seats, I joked about having every person in attendance wearing a hat with a light bulb on top...then I noticed that was precisely what the dudes lighting the aisles of the Union Jack on the ground were wearing.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2012 17:46 by Columbob.

More
14 Aug 2012 20:15 #132555 by Black Barney

jeb wrote: I thought Russell Brand invented tea or Canada or something. I'm sure he's very famous in all of the Britains!

Up here we like him because of Forgetting Sarah Marshall and cuz of the Katy Perry thing. Other than that, we don't know him from Adam.

More
14 Aug 2012 21:41 #132564 by ThirstyMan
Pretend comedian with a smack problem is all I know.

More
14 Aug 2012 21:51 #132567 by Rliyen

Sagrilarus wrote:

Dogmatix wrote: Who scores a tourney that way instead of 3 for a win and 1 for a loss? Plus, how do you get an undefeated player with a 3-game difference in final number of games? Is the goal here to teach Pokemon players how to lose?

This was the local club and the name of the tournament was "Poke-Madness". The goal was to get as many games in as you could, each had to be against a different opponent. It was about introducing people more than competing. I think the winner got a pack of deck sleeves.

S.

PM aka Both Guns Blazing in Shadow Fist. Ah, Nostalgia.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds