October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2690 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Crips, Bloods...and Juggalos.

More
12 Aug 2012 01:56 - 12 Aug 2012 01:59 #132412 by Dogmatix
Astonishing insights from the FBI in their efforts to keep the U.S. safe. It's not like local law enforcement really needed federal input to come up with grounds for hassling face-painted dropouts. This can only get dumber from here:

www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-fbi-re...los-as-a-gang-2012-8

On a purely technical approach to criminality, the traveling portion of Phish's audience probably commits more federal crimes (specifially interstate drug transport and "transportation of a minor across state lines for immoral purposes") in one summer tour than any 10 Juggalo gatherings combined. I suspect they'd also demolish the local counts for all the "nuisance" and drug crimes and likely come out about even on assaults (although Phish parking lot "wookie fights" are truly hilarious to watch), thefts, and robberies. (I *know* that, at their 2000-2002 peak, which coincided with Phish's first hiatus, the Widespread Panic scene would have crushed current Juggalo stats, particularly in Panic's southeastern US base...)
Last edit: 12 Aug 2012 01:59 by Dogmatix.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2012 03:19 #132413 by mjl1783
What is a Juggalo?
I don't know.
Axe what it is, well fuck if I know.
What is a Juggalo?
I don't know, but I'm down with the clown, and I'm down for life.
Yo.

Yeah, so I had The Great Malenko. I was fucking fourteen. Don't judge me. Or do; I don't give a fuck. That shit still holds up.

However, having been a big Phish guy, I agree with you. Nobody's more untrustworthy than a die-hard Phish fan. Motherfuckers will rip you off on drugs every time. Please belive me.

Widespread Panic? Well, their lead guitarist used to play every show sitting down. If you can fight, steal, and fuck after watching that kind of thing, then good on ya', but especially on the band.

More
12 Aug 2012 14:22 #132426 by daveroswell
Is it now a federal offense to own Quest for Shangri La the Insane Clown Posse Game?

Time to hide out Strange Aeon....

More
12 Aug 2012 14:41 #132427 by SuperflyPete

I have Strange Aeons hiding out in my basement...

As for the idea of Juggalos being a criminal enterprise akin to gangbanging Norteños, I can see it. Most of the real crimes committed by gangbangers are drug related, by and large, and I'd guess most of the things Juggalos are prone to do is sell dime bags to their clownish homeys...

More
12 Aug 2012 16:36 #132429 by username
When I saw this I figured Insane Clown Posse must be thrilled to have some slight grasp at being relevant in some way.

You can't buy publicity like this. Especially if you're a gorup who sings about the stuff they do.

More
12 Aug 2012 17:01 - 12 Aug 2012 17:13 #132430 by Dogmatix

Squigherder wrote: When I saw this I figured Insane Clown Posse must be thrilled to have some slight grasp at being relevant in some way.

You can't buy publicity like this. Especially if you're a gorup who sings about the stuff they do.

Much like Phish, who don't exactly burn up the charts or sell huge numbers of records either, the subculture/permanent traveling circus will always keep ICP relevant. Hell, most metal genres have a similar sort of devoted traveling subculture that is very much in the same vein as the jam bands and the Juggalos. They don't need (or want in most cases) the broad cultural appeal/"relevance" of Justin Beiber.

But, like I said, the jamband scene will *crush* the Juggalos when it comes to just about any sort of crime figure you can imagine if you really examine it. There was a point when Lake Geneva, WI, where the Alpine Valley venue is located, banned the Grateful Dead from playing there because the 100,000 that descended on the location (at least 1/3rd of which had no tickets) every year for the 3-day run were such a pain in the ass. It was one of the band's favorite venues and the shows were *always* great, so this was a drag.

Two years later, the town council that issued the band was *begging* the band to come back because those 100,000 people, with all their litter, loitering, dope and general pain-in-the-ass-ness dumped something like $2 million into the local economy in just the 1 3-day period each summer. Not such a "problem" when you can quantify the situation in black-ink dollars...

I'm sure the Juggalo gatherings are a pain in the ass for the locals, but I'd bet that, between money spent on food, gas, lodging, bail and court/ticket fees, the locales that host are actually making out reasonably well. Tag them a gang, though, and it just gets a giant law enforcement presence (mostly working overtime as I've never known a cop that worked concert or park duty to take the duty as a normal shift), with the huge costs associated with it, for negligible gain. Sure, you pick up a lot of dimebags and some pills--most of which are going to be misdemeanor charges with limited income generation.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2012 17:13 by Dogmatix.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds