October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Serious Question About Depression Type Stuff

More
19 Aug 2012 01:26 #132892 by Dogmatix

ThirstyMan wrote: My 2nd wife had this problem and went on SSRI's, ended up shagging everyone else in TKWIL. Guess that serotonin boost was just what she needed......

Yea, that would be someone who had no serotonin issues, so the net effect of an SSRI was essentially taking a mid-level dose of Ecstacy every day. If it's any consolation, I would bet that when she stopped, the come-down was like getting hit by a bus. ;)

Well, could also just be a tramp. ;) (I can't decide if I would have prefered my first wife to have slept around vice just being the stone-cold nutter she eventually morphed into. That divorce would have been inevitable in either case....)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2012 06:17 #132901 by ThirstyMan
Yes, I figured that out!!

Come down was quite heavy as I recall. Net effect was a divorce a year later. Most folk around here calmed me down at the time by saying that she would be high maintenance for anyone..just be thankful it's not you!

More
19 Aug 2012 14:41 #132912 by SuperflyPete
So, the lesson here is that if you want your wife to be a dirty whore, just dope her wine with some Paxil.

Check.

Will report.

More
19 Aug 2012 15:20 #132915 by Dogmatix

SuperflyTNT wrote: So, the lesson here is that if you want your wife to be a dirty whore, just dope her wine with some Paxil.

Check.

Will report.

Well...and wait 4-6 weeks for it to kick in.

Or just buy 2 hits of E at your local club for $30

More
19 Aug 2012 15:24 #132916 by wadenels

SuperflyTNT wrote: I agree with Mike about that...getting up in the AM early, getting showered and dressed...that's important to retaining your identity. When you stop giving a shit about the little things the bigger things fall off the radar easier.

That's a small bit of advice with a lot of truth behind it. I spent about five months unemployed, and it's surprising what a difference just getting up and getting going early can make in your day.

More
20 Aug 2012 01:47 #132937 by ubarose
What does your wife think?

More
20 Aug 2012 04:26 #132945 by The King in Yellow
There's a hell of a lot of good advice here already, so I'll just focus on the Paxil.

As far as feeling zombified: That's normal when you first start an SSRI. Most physicians will start their patients on a half-tablet for the first week, in order to give their bodies time to adjust. Also, expect to have dreams that seem more vivid or strange at first. These side-effects will pass after a week, and shouldn't be a bother after that.

As far as becoming "dependent": Unfortunately, that is a serious issue with all of these types of drugs, and any drug in general. The problem is that our bodies try to maintain homeostasis, even if that level of homeostasis is less than healthy. Once your body decides that it's blood pressure now needs to be set at an unhealthy, high level, due to age and an unhealthy lifestyle, it will try to maintain that unhealthy, high BP. Then, if you take a fluid pill to lower your BP, your body invariably speeds up your heart-rate to bring it back up to the higher level, where it thinks it should be. So when you spend a long time on an SSRI, your body stops producing as much serotonin on its own, and when you invariably decide to come off of it, you will probably "bottom out" due to your serotonin levels being at rock bottom. For that reason, you should gradually reduce the dose over a long period of time once you decide to quit.

Even so, you shouldn't be too concerned about taking one of these types of drugs. Compared to what people had to rely on just 20 years ago, these drugs are practically miracle workers for many people that previously could find no relief.

Btw, you shouldn't be paying more than $4 for a prescription of Paxil (or Prozac or Celexa). If you are, start shopping somewhere else.

And it's late, and I feel like I'm typing in incomplete sentences so I'm signing off for now, but I'll check back in tomorrow.

More
20 Aug 2012 05:33 #132949 by QPCloudy
My wife thinks I should try to take the stuff since the doctor said I should, but agrees it's not a chemical imbalance, it's just that I've been unemployed for 8 months and things just keep getting worse that's got me depressed. I puked my ass off as soon as I woke up this morning, then I threw the pills out. Fuck that shit. Dreams were cool though for a couple days. I'll call the doc tomorrow and tell him what's up.

More
20 Aug 2012 12:31 #132954 by ubarose
My opinion is that people close to you typically have a clearer vision or the situation than either a doctor or yourself. You need to enlist your wife's help to advocate for you and help you make decisions regarding treatment.

Some other questions? How does calling the doctor to discuss your treatment make you feel? Is it easy or difficult to pick up the phone and do it? How do you feel when you are talking to the doctor on the staff? How would you feel about cold calling other doctors or therapists to make an appointment for a second opinion?

More
20 Aug 2012 12:34 #132955 by SuperflyPete
IIRC, you're in quite the quandry. Finding a job that pays enough for daycare AND puts some scraps of paper in the billfold isn't easy. I sure wish you had some skills that I knew people could use so I could help you out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.354 seconds