October 09, 2023
2442 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Serious Question About Depression Type Stuff

More
20 Aug 2012 13:25 #132959 by QPCloudy
Yeah, unfortunately I'm a "dime-a-dozen" customer support and helpdesk guy. I do some light network admin, but nothing to heavy. Break fix, that sort of thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2012 13:30 #132960 by SuperflyPete
You thought about maybe talking to a shepherd/pastor/priest about things? You'd be surprised how much those sorts of people can help you re-envision your life. Instead of looking at it with hopelessness, after talking with them you tend to look at the good in your life and focus on those sorts of things.

If I ever fire my Cleveland guy, we'll talk.

More
20 Aug 2012 13:37 #132962 by QPCloudy
Fire his punk ass! This guy right here rolls 20s! Critical hit! Sales experience! Customer service experience! IT experience!

Also, I'm not sure how a shepherd would help me. I do not have a problem with my sheep. I just let them roam around the yard until I'm ready for them, yay chain link fence, then I just tie them to a post when I'm ready to have my way with them. Easy peasy.

More
21 Aug 2012 13:41 #133045 by The King in Yellow
I'll say one more thing about SSRIs/depression, then I'll bow out. You have been getting a lot of great advice about treating depression, regarding exercise, volunteering, networking, bonding with your son, and so on. However, the insidious nature of depression (and most mental illnesses in general) is that they create resistance against getting treatment. Depression is self-perpetuating in the fact that it is constantly telling you "nothing is worth the effort - everything is pointless." It compels one to sit on the couch, instead of doing things that would help alleviate the problem. Then one feels even worse about himself because the individual spent the whole day siting on the couch, watching television instead of accomplishing something, and the cycle continues. Taking an SSRI can give you a kick-start, boosting you up to the level where you're able to go about doing things to actively treat your depression. Once you've started treating yourself and gotten yourself out of the pit, you can gradually wean yourself off of the drug.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Dogmatix, evilgit

More
21 Aug 2012 14:21 - 21 Aug 2012 14:22 #133049 by SuperflyPete
I've got as much a reason as anyone to be depressed as hell. I'm essentially being told to either have brain surgery or just sit and suck it up until it resolves on its own, which could be months or years, and I'm thinking closer to the latter at this point.

I went from being a road warrior to being what amounts to a prisoner in my own home, for 8 months. I have had some really bad days where I just wanted it all to end.

But honestly, one thing keeps me going. In times like these, this one sentiment has gotten me through anything:

"Today, I might get a blowjob."

You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Every day is an opportunity for coitus and is thus worth enduring any and all inequities. I know it's fucked up, I know I'm an odd bird, but I shit you not, for some reason, no matter whether I wake up puking from dreams of spinning and am nauseous all day, that one simple notion brings me back.

Even when the odds are very slim. ;)
Last edit: 21 Aug 2012 14:22 by SuperflyPete.

More
21 Aug 2012 14:30 #133050 by daveroswell

SuperflyTNT wrote: I've got as much a reason as anyone to be depressed as hell. I'm essentially being told to either have brain surgery or just sit and suck it up until it resolves on its own, which could be months or years, and I'm thinking closer to the latter at this point.

I went from being a road warrior to being what amounts to a prisoner in my own home, for 8 months. I have had some really bad days where I just wanted it all to end.

But honestly, one thing keeps me going. In times like these, this one sentiment has gotten me through anything:

"Today, I might get a blowjob."

You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Every day is an opportunity for coitus and is thus worth enduring any and all inequities. I know it's fucked up, I know I'm an odd bird, but I shit you not, for some reason, no matter whether I wake up puking from dreams of spinning and am nauseous all day, that one simple notion brings me back.

Even when the odds are very slim. ;)

Pete,

You know if I visit, all I'm bringin is games son....

I could see if some of my brothers ex-gf's are around....(that's just so mean...)

More
21 Aug 2012 14:52 #133052 by SuperflyPete
Aw, man. And I was eyein' yer pretty mouth and pistol grip ears out in Atlanta...

More
21 Aug 2012 17:45 #133069 by mikecl

The King in Yellow wrote: Taking an SSRI can give you a kick-start, boosting you up to the level where you're able to go about doing things to actively treat your depression. Once you've started treating yourself and gotten yourself out of the pit, you can gradually wean yourself off of the drug.

I'll agree with this where someone has lost all motivation to the point where a road map out isn't enough. But I think drugs with all their inherent side effects and dependency issues are a last resort.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds