October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Pre-Emptive Derail Prevention

More
06 Sep 2012 07:20 #133876 by cdennett

SuperflyTNT wrote: DUDE!!! YOU STARTED THIS!!! Nate never said that all women are Carcassonne lovers and wouldn't play Space Hulk....NOBODY SAID ANYTHING BUT YOU.

Late to the party as usual, but, for the record, my girlfriend just kicked my ass at our first game of Space Hulk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2012 10:35 #133879 by Jexik

SaMoKo wrote: My wife posted a few times in the other bad thread and gave up. Granted, that thread was a bit different than this one. There's tons of sexism in nerd culture. Shit, deep-rooted nerds tend to be maladjusted and screwy, so there's lots wrong with nerd culture. Asking what game your wife might like isn't a huge one imo.

I stopped reading this post here.

There's lots of sexism in every culture. Not just nerd culture. Not just America. Every culture ever. It has just become hip in the last 50 years or so to magically decide that gender is just a "choice" and we're all the same aside from our anatomy.

And here's the thing that gets me. I work in elementary-aged child care, which is mostly women. Do you know who's the most respectful to the female employees? The men. Even adult women are constantly gossiping, belittling each other, tossing around the 'b-word' etc...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

More
06 Sep 2012 10:43 #133880 by Sevej

Jexik wrote: And here's the thing that gets me. I work in elementary-aged child care, which is mostly women. Do you know who's the most respectful to the female employees? The men. Even adult women are constantly gossiping, belittling each other, tossing around the 'b-word' etc...

That means the men are the sexists.

Eh?

More
06 Sep 2012 13:45 #133887 by ubarose

mjl1783 wrote: Oh, goodie! Another sexism discussion on F:AT. This always ends well.

All right, I've got an idea; there are at least a few female posters here, and we've probably got a few lurkers who are women. I can't help but notice that, whenever this issue comes up, you guys never chime in. I think that this would be a good time to get another, more useful perspective on this subject. Please, tell us how you feel about this. We can't really do anything about the atmosphere at conventions, or other internet sites, but maybe we can do something to make F:AT more inviting to women. That would be nice, right guys? And, if I may, I think it would be more helpful if we got some suggestions from actual women, not male Women's Studies majors.

I propose that, if we really want to accomplish something with this discussion, all the know-it-all men (myself included) shut the fuck up until we hear from some women. OK, ladies? Open platform here. If you want to call us all sexist pigs, and break out the Dworkin or bell hooks, cool. We'll all agree not to get butthurt and throw a tantrum about it. If you think this "wife game" business is making a mountain out of a molehill, also cool. Nobody gets to toss out the old "internalized misogyny" canard just to not have to take you seriously.

I'm being serious here. If there are any women reading this, and you are concerned about this issue, please speak up on your own behalf. The men who take it upon themselves to do it for you here aren't doing a very good job.

I think that most F:Aties have mature gender expectations. For the most part they recognize that a person's race, class, level and skill bonuses play a more important role in the game than that +1 or -1 agility and strength base stats for gender.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, repoman, sornars, cdennett

More
06 Sep 2012 13:53 #133889 by Ken B.

ubarose wrote: I think that most F:Aties have mature gender expectations. For the most part they recognize that a person's race, class, level and skill bonuses play a more important role in the game than that +1 or -1 agility and strength base stats for gender.

And +2 to Charisma. Freeeeowww!

Kidding. Kidding.

More
06 Sep 2012 14:01 #133893 by Jexik

Ken B. wrote:

ubarose wrote: I think that most F:Aties have mature gender expectations. For the most part they recognize that a person's race, class, level and skill bonuses play a more important role in the game than that +1 or -1 agility and strength base stats for gender.

And +2 to Charisma. Freeeeowww!

Kidding. Kidding.

Considering that hotness and leadership are both components to charisma, it's probably a wash.

More
06 Sep 2012 22:52 #133933 by SaMoKo

Jexik wrote:

SaMoKo wrote: My wife posted a few times in the other bad thread and gave up. Granted, that thread was a bit different than this one. There's tons of sexism in nerd culture. Shit, deep-rooted nerds tend to be maladjusted and screwy, so there's lots wrong with nerd culture. Asking what game your wife might like isn't a huge one imo.

I stopped reading this post here.

Ok!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds