October 09, 2023
2507 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2706 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Chubbawubba is Living Strong!

More
05 Sep 2012 16:23 #133837 by SuperflyPete
So, after quitting smoking and then abrubtly being stricken by this fucked up ear thing, I've been unable and/or unwilling to go anywhere or do anything.

This has caused a "balooning" effect. It can not stand.

Thus, starting last Friday, I started on the iOS "LiveStrong" calorie counter. I know MyFitnessPal is better and free, but I wanted to support a fellow former drug user (lol).

Anyhow, 1586 calories a day. Do you have any idea how little that really is? Mother fucker.

Looking at losing 1.5/week at a minimum, and the goal is to drop 20 pounds to 180. We'll see after that.

Anyhow, it's not as hard as one would think, especially if you don't eat shitty foods to begin with, but alas, I am finding that it's a hell of a lot easier to eat your way into a size 38 waist than out of it.

Anyhow, that is all, thought I'd share. So far, 2 pounds lost, but I just dropped a deuce...so it may be lying.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2012 16:55 #133840 by ThirstyMan
Get on a fixed bike. It's lots easier with 30 min a day on a bike. Watch some DVDs while you do it so you don't get bored.

More
05 Sep 2012 18:44 #133844 by SaMoKo
Better yet, get on a real bike. You get twice the workout from fending off the hobos who try to steal it when you break at the 7/11 to pick up a Slurpee.

More
05 Sep 2012 18:51 #133847 by Chapel
I'm at a deuce right now. I'd like to get back to my fight weight of 180 by xmas...nothing like having a couple kids in a row to really pack on the poundage. I thinks it's the lack of time and sleep

More
05 Sep 2012 19:07 #133849 by Mr. White
my general tips:

1) get plenty of sleep
2) drink two full glasses of water before every meal
3) find a cardio routine you can stick to. Even if it's as little as 20mins a day. If you can sustain it, you'll see results.

More
06 Sep 2012 15:51 #133905 by SuperflyPete
I'm married to a personal trainer and I'm no stranger to training (rugby, martial arts..) but the issue with all of your fine suggestions on cardio and bikes and whatnot is this fucked up ear thingie I was mentioning.

There's a virus, one I like to call "The Golden BB" which gives you a long, nagging chesty cough and no other symptom. I got it, thought I had developed the "smoker's cough" and decided to quit. Well, turns out that the cold wasn't just a cold. It was the Golden BB.

What, pray tell, is this Golden BB? Ah, it's one that destroys neurons. But not just any neurons. It destroys the neurons that make up the vestibular nerve cluster that attaches directly to your brain from your vestibular labrynth?

In short: I have persistent, ongoing motion sickness. And not the nice kind you can ignore. I can't play video games, I can't drive for more than a couple minutes. Oh, and if I turn my head too fast my eyes start darting all over the place and I get incredibly disoriented. It's joyous.

So, I can manage driving to the local park and walking for 2 miles a day. That's about as far as I get to go re: exercise...for now.

It's the reason I'm bloated...I can't get on the elliptical that's sitting 4 feet behind me right now, I can't get on my bike. The motion sickness and disorientation is absolutely miserable (and potentially hazardous as I found when I went for a drive and nearly crossed to the other side of the road)

They have pills, one is addictive and terrible in every way as it induces TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE retribution in the form of intense nausea upon withdrawal. The other pill is a mix of dramamine and ambien, which puts me into a restful 8 hour trance. Also untenable.

Ginger? No. Peppermint tincture? No.

In short, only time and/or brain surgery will make this go away. They had me going to PT but the trick is that PT is 25 minutes away and I can't get there to do the PT (which makes me pretty much puke nonstop for an hour, more or less) because the drive is worse than the PT.

This is what I get for crossing Barnes. I know he has a voodoo doll somewhere with a pin in its head, on the left side. LOL

More
06 Sep 2012 16:46 #133913 by ubarose

SuperflyTNT wrote: They have pills, one is addictive and terrible in every way as it induces TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE retribution in the form of intense nausea upon withdrawal.

A few years back I had to choose between being essentially housebound or taking addictive drugs with some trivial side effects while taking it, but nasty withdrawal if I ever stopped. My doctor pointed out that since my condition wasn't likely to improve, I'd probably be on the med for years, possibly for life, unless a better drug was developed. Therefore, the withdrawal really shouldn't be an important factor in my decision. I decided to take the drug. So yes, I'm technically addicted to prescription drugs, but I don't give a shit because I get to have a fairly normal life other than remembering to take the pills, and seeing the doctor twice a year for a blood test, re-evaluation and another 6 month prescription.

More
06 Sep 2012 16:56 #133915 by SuperflyPete
Jesus, Shellie, I didn't know...that sucks ass.

See, in my situation, the situation will resolve itself over time as my nerves rebuild themselves. 33% of my vestibular nerve is dead, and so it's going to be a while. The problem is this, though.....the brain habituates itself (the same way ice skaters do exercises to build up their tolerance to spinning at mach 1) but if I take antiemetics or vestibular suppressants (including most allergy pills! UGH!) the brain will never habituate. The treatment of the symptoms is antithetical to the brain healing itself.

Ain't that a bitch!

More
07 Sep 2012 14:19 #133965 by Chapel
Man, I feel bad. I don't have an excuse, I'm just lazy, and I like cheeseburgers.

More
07 Sep 2012 18:14 #133990 by ubarose
Is the nerves rebuilding themselves related to the OT/PT? There has been so much advancement in that area in the past decade. It's amazing.

Also, I don't look see my situation as sucking ass. I see it an awesome miracle of modern medicine. Especially when the Dr. starts with "The good new is you don't have epilepsy and you don't have a brain tumor."

More
08 Sep 2012 01:47 - 08 Sep 2012 01:47 #134014 by SuperflyPete
No, the nerves rebuilding is just the body doing its thing. The habituation (which makes the symptoms go away) is the PT thing.

I look at your situation as sucking ass only from my own perspective where I view pills as a foreign entity that is designed to mask symptoms and ultimately cause my demise. I don't like pills, don't trust 'em. :)

That, and I'm sorry you have to take 'em at all.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2012 01:47 by SuperflyPete. Reason: spell

More
11 Sep 2012 10:36 #134146 by repoman
Because I admire Superfly as the exemplar of all that is good and true, I decided that maybe I might try to loose some of the bloat that I cart around with me.

I downloaded "myfitness" for my so-called smart phone and have been monitoring my caloric intake.

In the last week, if my scale is to be believed, which is in doubt because I got it at K Mart and it is certainly not a scientific instrument, I have lost 10 pounds! Woohooo for me. From 280 to 270! I've gone from "Wow That Guy Is Going To Explode" to "Holy Mother of God, That Guy is Huge!"

I attribute most of it to the elimination of non-diet soda. Never really realized just how many worthless calories are in a bottle of Canada Dry.

More
11 Sep 2012 13:31 #134150 by SuperflyPete
I am indeed the avatar of goodness and trueness.

Not me, I've lost 3. And I'm OK with that. 1.5 lbs a week is a sustainable rate. My metabolism is so slow at this point I'm not sure whether my heart rate is actually detectable, so I'm not thinking that dropping soda will work (especially since I only do 2 cans a day max for the most part. 150 calories per can isn't that much.

The problem is that when I get a big plate of Chinese food, I'm smashing that fucker. Do it enough, after quitting smoking and ceasing all exercise, and you're on the path to having Good Year tattooed on what were once your obliques.

More
11 Sep 2012 15:47 #134162 by ubarose
2 cans of soda a day is 2100 calories a week. That's more than half a pound.

More
11 Sep 2012 17:05 #134168 by SuperflyPete
No shit...wow....never thought about it like that. Yeah, I guess dropping sugar bombs out of the ol' diet would really be pretty damned impressive.

No wonder we're all such tubbalubbs. Fuckers sit and pound 3 20-oz bottles a day and get soggy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds