October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

NASA says warp speed possible

More
22 Sep 2012 13:14 #134859 by wadenels
I wish some middle-eastern country or China or North Korea or Eurasia or Eastasia or whoever would really put together a well-funded and competent space program.

Then I bet we'd get to see Congress go into holy-shit-they're-coming-right-for-us overdrive mode and start spending more on NASA and other basic research.

Well, I hope that would happen. Really we'd probably just invade because the Bible says we should, right?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dogmatix

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2012 13:53 #134862 by SuperflyPete

repoman wrote: Fuck, Andy! For a smart guy sometimes you say some stupid shit.

Look, why don't we have cities on the ocean floor?

Three words:

Giant Squids!

There are no Giant Squids in space!

Fuck giant squids...I'm more worried about disturbing R'lyeh

More
22 Sep 2012 14:08 #134863 by repoman

wadenels wrote: I wish some middle-eastern country or China or North Korea or Eurasia or Eastasia or whoever would really put together a well-funded and competent space program.

Then I bet we'd get to see Congress go into holy-shit-they're-coming-right-for-us overdrive mode and start spending more on NASA and other basic research.

Well, I hope that would happen. Really we'd probably just invade because the Bible says we should, right?

When North Korea pulls itself up out of the stone age and unlocks the mystery of growing rice, When the Middle-East comes to grips with it not being the 12th century anymore, then I'll start worrying about those two.

China could do it but probably won't.

And when you say "Bible says we should" invade. What you really mean is the Koran, right? Don't really recall the Bible discussing the imperative to invade.

More
22 Sep 2012 14:19 - 22 Sep 2012 14:41 #134864 by SuperflyPete
By bible, he meant the Necronomicon of the Mad Arab, Abdul Alhazred.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 14:41 by SuperflyPete. Reason: Not trying to get blown up.

More
22 Sep 2012 16:46 - 23 Sep 2012 02:35 #134866 by engineer Al
Wrong again, Repoman:

Last edit: 23 Sep 2012 02:35 by engineer Al.

More
22 Sep 2012 17:29 #134867 by ThirstyMan

repoman wrote: And when you say "Bible says we should" invade. What you really mean is the Koran, right? Don't really recall the Bible discussing the imperative to invade.

I wouldn't bank on it. Both as bad as each other. Both have caused untold suffering over the ages and continue to do so and both have been used as the excuse or justification for many many wars.

PS (Is it too late for a Friday freakout?)

More
22 Sep 2012 18:09 - 22 Sep 2012 19:51 #134868 by Dogmatix

ThirstyMan wrote:

repoman wrote: PS (Is it too late for a Friday freakout?)

Oh, absolutely not.

repoman wrote: China could do it but probably won't.

They will. Their "Space Race--Time Trial edition" seems to be up to about US-circa-1966 or so now and they do actually see putting a national on the moon (and getting him back alive) as a real goal.

repoman wrote: And when you say "Bible says we should" invade. What you really mean is the Koran, right? Don't really recall the Bible discussing the imperative to invade.

Really? Missed all that Old Testament peace and love hippie talk about God commanding the Israelites to slaughter all things Canaan and to drive out [into the desert, mind you] those they didn't slaughter outright?

I guess you were too busy looking for witches and homosexuals to stone per Leviticus? I always marvel at how Red, White, and True evangelicals seem quick trot out that shit but they never seem to go after all those farmers in Iowa who plant "fields of mixed seed". By Biblical standards, the Evangelicals should have torched most of Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas and salted the fucking earth behind them. Oh yea, and woe unto you who wears mixed garments of linen and wool (good ol' Leviticus 19 again...). You're violating the Word of God and subject to His Wrath there too.

But, if you're one of those christians who believes the Old Testament just too damned Jewish for your tastes, there's always the Book of Revelation to fall back on. Take for example, those paragons of American Virtue, those salt-of-the-earth yeoman farmers who are working to breed the perfect red heifer in Israel in order to kick off the Final Show?

Yea, that last one is a no-shit joint Israeli-American group that the Israeli gov't has a low-but-constant worry about. Sooner or later, by accident of classic crossbreeding or deliberate act by genetic design, some fucker is going to do it and Israel is going to find out the hard way whether it's truly a secular or a religious nation-state as the Orthodox hold that, with the sacrifice of said red cow, they will begin the purification and rebuilding of the Third Temple...which just happens to also be the site where Group of Superstitious Twats #2 believe that THEIR prophet found himself one fine-ass horse and galloped right on up to heaven and his virgins...

Not to be left out of what should be a fantastic party in Old Jerusalem, Group of Superstitious Twats #3, American dispensationalist evangelicals, have jumped into the party--because, face it, we're just better when it comes to matters of cattle than any bunch of jumped-up camel-fuckers. See those good christians believe The Book tells 'em to hurry Group of Superstitious Twats #1 along the building of the Third Temple because THAT is supposed to signal the second coming of Christ.

Trick is, see, they've actually already done this at least twice (1997 and 2002) so far but Israel's orthodox rabbinical council found the heifers to be "insufficiently pure". Sooner or later, the orthodox leadership, a powerful political and cultural force in Israel whose militancy ebbs and flows but certainly never goes away, are going to give a thumbs-up to one of these fucking cows and some Zionist or Christian-Zionist (see, e.g., the dispensationalists) group is going to get the bright idea to blow up the Dome of the Rock to clear the way for the building of the Third Temple. (While a good many Superstitious Twats would like to blow it up on general principle, there's no real point until it's time to rebuild the Temple.)

I'm pretty sure that that will be seen as roughly equivalent to setting off a suitcase nuke at Mecca by a pretty good number of the 1.6 billion muslims in the world. I just hope for 2 things when that happens: First, the US dithers long enough in sending its inevitiable support to a beseiged Israel for Spanish Civil War-esque American Group of Superstitious Twats #3 volunteer brigades to gear-up and go over to get slaughtered along with the oh so deserving Groups of Superstitious Twats #1 & #3. It's always best to let the herd thin itself first in cases like this.

The second, of course, is that NASA gets that fucking warp drive working so I can laugh at the futile efforts of all Last Fucked-up Crusade participants (via courier-carried holovid newscasts, of course) from the relative comfort of the Tau Ceti system.

(Yea, I bet you didn't think I could bring that all the way back around to NASA and the warp drive...)

Last edit: 22 Sep 2012 19:51 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan, SaMoKo, Fallen

More
22 Sep 2012 19:01 #134870 by SaMoKo
Repoman makes a good argument. I would rather be anally probed by a gray alien than by a giant squid or one of those weird worm things near sulfur springs, so colonizing the ocean would suck. That stuff freaks me out, it's probably nothing like the Disney propaganda with calypso crabs.

Sources:
Played Bioshock (original, not 2)
Sort of remember Fire in the Sky
Paused on the Discovery Network while channel surfing

More
22 Sep 2012 19:55 #134871 by Not Sure

Dogmatix wrote: (Yea, I bet you didn't think I could bring that all the way back around to NASA and the warp drive...)

Nope, I had total faith in you the entire time.

More
23 Sep 2012 02:42 - 23 Sep 2012 02:44 #134876 by engineer Al
Been doing a little research. These things are worse than I thought:

Last edit: 23 Sep 2012 02:44 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds