October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Anyone have a Capes and Cowls to lend me or sell?

More
26 Oct 2012 04:58 #136725 by Gary Sax
I always heard it was like the ultimate supers game but then I would hit BGG and it looks crazy abstract, which seems to be consistent with those of you who've actually played it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2012 13:42 #136736 by moofrank

Gary Sax wrote: I always heard it was like the ultimate supers game but then I would hit BGG and it looks crazy abstract, which seems to be consistent with those of you who've actually played it.

Once you actually get to playing, it is ALMOST chess-like. But there are dice which affect various powers and effects. The core of movement and combat is, however, diceless. You add the number on your space to your attack, and subtract the defense+space of the opponent. Ranged attacks automatically hit if they are on a ranged or diagonal.

What makes it work is the TON of powers. Each hero has perhaps 3 powers, and I believe that each power is unique. That's 120 different powers over the 40 heroes. That makes each game play VERY differently, and you are constantly discovering new tactical situations. That's the part that makes it feel very unlike chess.

The game also ends up being pretty dynamic. You end up having to move around to find a better space to use a power. This is a big difference over Heroscape and Heroclix which get into relatively static I-roll-you-roll dicefests. (This is why I'm fond of Battle Beyond Space. Movement is forced, and there isn't sitting in one place.)

So yeah, I adore the game, but the numbers on the board problem needs a good component solution.

More
26 Oct 2012 14:28 #136740 by ZMan
But doesn't the idea of each super having multiple different powers take away from the supers genre where each superhero usually has one power (with multiple applications of that power)?

It almost seems to want to be a magic game rather than a supers game with the multiple powers thing.

More
26 Oct 2012 15:10 #136742 by SuperflyPete

ZMan wrote: Thanks, Superfly. Well, let me ask you this: if it was your money would you back this horse?

If I were in your shoes, I'd absolutely Kickstart it and let the suckers of the hivemind pay for my gamble. No bullshit, that's exactly how I'd do it.

But, to the "intent" of the question, there would have to be some considerations: As published originally, no. The art would have to be reworked, and miniatures would be a must if I were to print it. I mean, really, having PVC 3D terrain such as this...

...would be a hell of a stretch goal and would really make the game more attractive. You could blow mold it too, but PVC is becoming such a cheap replacement for resin (and requires no primer for painting) that it would be the best of both worlds, I'd think.

So, in a word, YES, I would run with it, but as a 2nd Edition product with some changes. I've played it all of one time, so perhaps it's premature, but I think that the market is begging for a good superhero themed game. Sentinels of the Multiverse, the new Marvel card game, the Avengers, Iron Man 3....the timing for superhero-related games is perfect. It's just got to meet expectations. If the owner of the rights is getting paid on a % of sales, if you Kickstart it, he's making more money as margins are higher, so he's happy, and if you put a 500$ advance on it, the most you're out is some time, maybe 1000$ (500$ for promotion/adverts/video and 500$ advance) which would be a win-win.

There's my 2 cents, brother. Go with God!

More
26 Oct 2012 15:15 #136745 by ZMan
Thanks for your comments. I wouldn't kickstart it or rather Z-Man wouldn't kickstart it. We'd put in our own chips. And yeah, we would do a component upgrade. So really it comes down to making sure the game play making it a worthwhile product.

More
26 Oct 2012 16:53 #136758 by moofrank

ZMan wrote: But doesn't the idea of each super having multiple different powers take away from the supers genre where each superhero usually has one power (with multiple applications of that power)?

It almost seems to want to be a magic game rather than a supers game with the multiple powers thing.

That's a harder call, as I'm not really into supers. Themeatically, he goes to some effort to define the characters and their powers, and they seem right. Most of what I call powers could be construed as application of a single power. An ice-themed superhero would get a combat bonus on white spaces, the ability to freeze an enemy in place on a die roll of 1-3, and perhaps a skate on ice extra movement ability. (I'm going by 2 year old memory.)

If anything, the whole chessboard nature of terrain and squares is much more of a problem. I'm surprised that supers game fans have taken to it.

More
26 Oct 2012 17:10 #136761 by SuperflyPete
I would most certainly change the board to hexes, straight away. And make it slightly larger, as a playing field. This would allow more creative setups.

But I wanted to talk about the multiple powered supers: If you look at virtually every major hero, they all have multiples:

- Superman: Lasers from eyes, x-ray vision, flight, invulnerability, super strength, super breath...
- Iron Man: Flight, lasers, "death blossom", infrared/techno-sight...super strength, invulnerability...
- Spider Man: Wall climb, web shooting, super strength, uncanny sense of balance, precognition (spider sense...which is funny because spiders are pretty easy to kill...)...
- Invisible Woman: Force fields, invisibility
- Torch: Flight, transformation, fireballs and whatnot...

The list goes on. So, I'd argue that a superhero with multiple powers isn't too far from the norm. I agree with Frank, though, that there could be one or two lone fliers with Superman type powers, and the rest should be guys with two or three applications of powers based upon a common theme. I think the original game captures that pretty well, but I'd get someone really familiar with comics (Looking at Dragonstout) to review them and give recommendation, then apply, playtest...the usual process.

More
26 Oct 2012 20:47 #136794 by ZMan
When I meant by multiple powers I was assuming powers that don't relate. For example, the Torch's powers relate to fire - even flight - maybe, lighter than air kind of thing. Invisible Woman uses her powers in different applications but it stems from the same type of power. Superman throws a wrench in the works since his powers do not seem to relate - though super breath comes from the incredible strength he possess. Now the x-ray vision and laser beam eyes.....

Anyway I look forward to trying it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.586 seconds