October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Magic the Gathering is good, but honestly not this good

More
31 Oct 2012 20:35 #137064 by bioball
updates.io9.com/post/34711203024/florida...-the-gathering-cards

I wouldn't repeatedly "tap" someone's head for their collection. Seriously, I mean you can get this shit for like $100 on ebay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2012 20:54 #137065 by Fallen
Florida is a fucking shit hole, so I'm not surprised some man-child was murdered for his toys and stuffed in the same box he kept them in.

The bride is from New Port Richie, and there isn't one dude over the age of 16 without a rap sheet bible thick. Growing up close to Disneyworld sounds good in theory, but if that's the only place to find a job... shit is bleak indeed.
The bride's sister dated a dude that broke into the in-laws house, pilfered the mothers gun case & used it to commit suicide via police shoot-out roughly two years ago. Even stranger, said coward's brother, years earlier, also broke into the house, stole a different hand-gun and used it to cap some random dude who slagged him off.

Lessons learned:
1) Bride's parents have too much firepower just kicking around random parts of the house.
2) Military training fails when it comes to proper firearm storage.
3) The brood’s visitation rights will be strictly supervised.

More
31 Oct 2012 20:55 #137067 by QPCloudy

More
31 Oct 2012 20:58 #137068 by engineer Al
MtG is obviously "Geek Crack". Stay away.

More
31 Oct 2012 21:13 #137069 by bioball

Fallen wrote: Florida is a fucking shit hole, so I'm not surprised some man-child was murdered for his toys and stuffed in the same box he kept them in.

I think the "man-child" in this case would more be the two psychos who lack major adult functioning in their brains that they beat to death and stuffed in a box another human being for the guy's hobby.

I don't think an intense interest in MTG, boardgames or videogames immediately qualifies one as retarded in development. However beating someone to death does.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
31 Oct 2012 21:33 #137071 by dragonstout
I dunno man...Magic *is* pretty damn good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser, san il defanso, OldHippy

More
31 Oct 2012 22:00 #137075 by Fallen

bioball wrote:

Fallen wrote: Florida is a fucking shit hole, so I'm not surprised some man-child was murdered for his toys and stuffed in the same box he kept them in.

I think the "man-child" in this case would more be the two psychos who lack major adult functioning in their brains that they beat to death and stuffed in a box another human being for the guy's hobby.

I don't think an intense interest in MTG, boardgames or videogames immediately qualifies one as retarded in development. However beating someone to death does.

It has been my experience that man-children tend to congregate for safety sake, I’m sure there’s a national geographic special on this. Similar to child/neck beards, beardo’s and Twihards.
Either way, I’m not going to argue which was more & which was less man childy than the other. This shit is tragic, one of them gets perma tapped by one that is in for some serious ass tapping come pen time. Lose-Lose

More
31 Oct 2012 23:36 #137080 by OldHippy
What a horrible and weird story. I've stopped saying really horrible things about murderers though. Mainly because of the Col. Russell Williams story. When I saw this picture:

I suddenly realized that people who do these things are sick. Not colloquially sick (which I thought before) but actually, technically, physcially sick. Like any disease. This doesn't exscuse what they did or make talking ill of the deceased ok in any way but it made me realize that I shouldn't be so quick to judge. Sure, I want them locked up, maybe given help if it makes sense but I just can't fathom the mind of people who do this. They are so divorced from what I understand, mentally, that I lack the proper qualities to judge them in any way that makes sense to me.

Anyone who thinks it's ok to murder someone for cards is seriously ill and needs help. If they actually follow through and do it... I don't know what to say other then lock them away somewhere, maybe put them to work paying off their unpayable debt to society.

I still think it's ok to joke about it with friends out of the public eye though, or if you're a comedian on stage. I'm not sure what forums are anymore. Is it private with firends or in the public eye? I'm staying safe and going with public eye for the time being.

More
01 Nov 2012 07:10 - 01 Nov 2012 07:11 #137098 by bomber
Whatever the background to the value of the cards though, at the end of the day if someone has a resource worth 100 grand, some people are going to want to steal it. Whether its Magic cards or a shiny limited edition Rolex watch, so honestly I don't know what all the shit about cards has to do with it. Would someone not be sick if they mugged someone for a 100,000 necklace? It's money. Simple as that. It might be completely fucked up that a set of playing cards that in the real world anyone can make photocopies or hand made versions of FOR FREE are worth money to someone else, but in terms of the crime here, its one guy with a valuable asset, and someone who wanted that asset. No different to any other money based crime that happens every day in every city.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2012 07:11 by bomber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, dragonstout, DeletedUser, wice, Erik Twice

More
01 Nov 2012 10:32 #137101 by Erik Twice
But it's just a piece of cardboard! Not something rare and intrinsically valuable like diamonds.

More
01 Nov 2012 11:02 #137102 by wice

Erik Twice wrote: But it's just a piece of cardboard! Not something rare and intrinsically valuable like diamonds.

I'm not sure if that was irony or not, so I will act like you said it seriously: did you know that diamonds are not rare at all?

www.quicksprout.com/2012/08/16/how-to-ma...ke-a-lot-more-money/
www.wisebread.com/the-greatest-story-eve...asy-covered-in-blood

And even if they were: the majority of them are used as jewellery. And the average person can't tell the difference between a real diamond necklace and a fake one.

So, no, they are not intrinsically valuable, what makes them valuable is that people want them, for some reason. There is no difference in this regard between a diamond and a Black Lotus MTG card.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, Dair, Fallen

More
01 Nov 2012 11:14 #137103 by Erik Twice
It was irony indeed :)

In fact, it's not about the average person, synthethic diamonds and natural ones cannot be told apart without a microscope.

Not that I care, I see value in decorating yourself with clothes or jewels. I see no value at all in wasting money to feel smug and high class, which may be the main reason why diamonds sell.

More
01 Nov 2012 14:16 #137110 by ubarose
Diamonds were valued for their ability to manipulate light, which was important when your light source was fire (candles, torches, etc.). A collar necklace of diamonds meant your face glowed with heavenly light. A useful special effect for kings, queens, popes, etc.'

More
01 Nov 2012 18:02 #137134 by SuperflyPete

bioball wrote: updates.io9.com/post/34711203024/florida...-the-gathering-cards

I wouldn't repeatedly "tap" someone's head for their collection. Seriously, I mean you can get this shit for like $100 on ebay.

According to the story, these guys had 100,000 motives.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds