October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Hey you punk! What are you writing down there?

More
15 Nov 2012 22:27 - 15 Nov 2012 22:30 #137780 by Erik Twice
Also known as the shameless self-promotion thread. Do you write about games? Do you participate in a podcast? Am I forgetting you can actually write for this site and this podcast? When will FFG forgive Barnes? Let's talk about it!

So I'm now taking my writing a little bit more seriously. Sure, I thought pretty high of my pretentious shitty wish fullfilment fantasy characters when I was twelve but I'm beginning to think that hey, perhaps I am not that bad. I have been keeping a blog for two years now ( eriktwicedoesitagain.wordpress.com/ ) and if the embarrasment I get from reading my earliest articles is any indication, I must have improved quite a bit. At least some people agree because I'm now writing a retrogaming column at Snackbargames.com which has been for a while now(More shameless plug:http://www.snackbar-games.com/features/flashback/). While I'm still suffering a bit to write the articles I have to say I'm quite proud of how it's turning out, it's not about the same tired Contra/Chrono Trigger/Megaman 2 stuff and it reads quite differently from most articles on retrogaming, which I like a lot.

I have also changed my blog a bit so it doesn't look like I'm homeless and really, really bored. I still have some bullshit movie articles and most people who get in my site do it by looking for "box" ("corrugated box" for the real pros) but I don't think it's a throwaway project anymore. Hell, I've managed to keep it positive and nice, which is incredibly hard for me, I'm really harsh sometimes.

What about you? I'm really willing to listen to what you do :)
Last edit: 15 Nov 2012 22:30 by Erik Twice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Nov 2012 09:25 #137870 by Erik Twice
No one wants to say anything? C'mon guys I want to hear how you got into this, it's fun :D

More
17 Nov 2012 14:37 #137878 by san il defanso
Okay, I'll bite.

I started writing about games after about six months in the hobby. At the time I wasn't around F:AT at all, so I was really heavily influenced by that "bullet points and numerical scores" method of game criticism from BGG. I'm not proud of most of my early stuff, but you start somewhere I guess. I started feeling a lot better about my work when I stopped trying to put bullet points and headings, and just wrote about them like I'd write about anything else. By that time, I'd started hanging out here a lot more and I'd been influenced by the regular contributors around here.

So I figured I'd start me a game blog, which was in the summer of 2010. I couldn't keep a regular schedule, and it languished for a while. But after I figured out a way to keep it up, I got to updating once or twice a week. The frequency gave me a lot more confidence. Once you really learn how to write regularly, it becomes a lot easier. (duh)

More
17 Nov 2012 18:30 #137889 by mikecl
I write for a living so it's probably the last thing I want to do in my spare time. I think I've written five game reviews in total. I posted the Mice and Mystics review on the Geek (but not until it had been up for a day here) and it got me my copper reviewers badge so there you go five reviews in the six years since I joined.

So far I've only been motivated to write about a game if I've had a hard time buying it because others have been negative about it and then find I like or love it.

This motivated to me to write interviews on Android (it's broken. it's not), Dominant Species (in the beginning it was said to be too random to have decent strategy (it is somewhat random, but it's still quite strategic), Merchants and Marauders (Merchants are overpowered, they're not) and just now Mice and Mystics (Is it just for kids - No. But it IS more of a family game.

At the moment, I don't have the time or inclination to write a blog. Maybe when I retire....

More
17 Nov 2012 23:59 #137903 by Erik Twice

San Il Defanso wrote: ]The frequency gave me a lot more confidence. Once you really learn how to write regularly, it becomes a lot easier. (duh)

No kidding! Something that took me long to learn is that if you keep trying to tweak for perfection, you will just fail because you will never learn and be able to start over. I used to write short stories and I kept working on the same one, treading water which resulted in the most stilted writing you can imagine.

In fact the progress is so fast compared to my previous one it's kind of embarrasing. I can barely read what I wrote just a year ago, much less what I did before I started blogging, uuugh. On the bright side, I barely got any hits so it's not like many saw the shit I had =P

More
18 Nov 2012 03:34 #137910 by MattFantastic
I'm terribly lazy about my writing and too much of a perfectionist. I have a hard time getting the ball rolling and little desire to force myself to write things for my hobby, which means I've written maybe like 10 things for the fort since the early days. Podcasting is way easier cause I have lots of great things to say but I don't have to form them into perfect sentences, and drinking usually just helps.

I've been trying to get a "million dollar idea" podcast off the ground for at least a year now, where myself and my cohort both share our own amazing ideas we have no intention of actually following through on as well as developing the ideas of whoever sends theirs in.

I shot the first episode of a show where I get fall down drunk with the boy and we learn, play and review a children's game. Still haven't had time to properly edit it but it's pretty awesome and will be instant gold once it finally drops.

More
18 Nov 2012 10:38 #137927 by repoman
Well I write the Tow Jockey Five Second Reviews. I don't know how long I've been doing them. I was putting them up on my Facebook page six months or more before I started adding them to the fort.

The original idea was two fold. First a friend of mine asked me to recommend some good movies. She being the type that always replies "no" when you start a sentence with "Did you ever see..." Second, I thought what would a movie review look like if you stripped out all the fluff like the plot summary and who the actors are and what else the director worked on. Well you'd get about a paragraph of text.

I attempt to get to the heart of what the film made me feel and anything that stands out to me as quickly as possible. I like to think they are pretty funny sometimes too. And for the record it takes me FAR longer than five seconds to write one.

More recently I've been putting up the F:AT Thursday session reports in the blog section. This is more of a thing to hurl thinly veiled insults at Josh, Al, and Uba and to sing the blues about how I lost yet another game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, SuperflyPete

More
18 Nov 2012 16:46 #137937 by Dr. Mabuse
I tried my hand at writing reviews about 3 years ago as a challenge to myself.

I've never really enjoyed writing and the number of posts I write here and on BGG but never submit must be in the hundreds. I love gaming and I thought that the love of it would help motivate me to create the other. Initially it did but after about 3 reviews it became a chore and an exercise in frustration.

My last review, written earlier this year took 2-3 weeks to write. I was done.

There are far more eloquent and thought-provoking writers out there, I was only adding static to the vast stream of digital content.

More
19 Nov 2012 14:00 - 19 Nov 2012 14:09 #137977 by SuperflyPete
I got Munchkin because I read it was the ~BEST GAME EVER~. I took it to a coffee shop with the wife while the kid was at school. Opened it. I felt like I got fucked over on an Ebay deal: ITEM NOT AS DESCRIBED.

So, I started looking at all these games out there and how many had all these REALLY boring BGG articles. I thought that I could do better, and not be a shilltastic propagandist.

Maybe it worked, maybe it didn't. All I know is that I temporarily imploded a website, got banned 7 times from another, and made some friends. Life is good. Or it was. I got sick, all of the people who ~were~ my friends dropped off of the face of the earth, and so I don't get to game much. That, and being what amounts to a "shut in" has pretty much sucked most of the joy out of my life.

So, now I paint. Lots and lots of painting. And I learned how to make really great bases for miniatures. And I cook a lot. Will I ever go back to writing? Probably not. That's run its course. I may put a couple articles up. I have one that's written but I just don't have the desire to take the 10 seconds to put it anywhere.

"Say "what" again. Say "what" again. I dare you. I double-dare you, motherfucker. Say "what" one more goddamn time."

When I'm done painting these, there's a sense of satisfaction. Purpose. When I'm done writing an article, it's more of a sense of relief. Hell, my favorite article (that I wrote) isn't even a gaming article. It's about the funnels added to Miller bottles.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 14:09 by SuperflyPete.

More
19 Nov 2012 14:18 - 19 Nov 2012 14:26 #137980 by Hatchling
goddam. nice pulp fiction reference, you mushroom-cloud making motherfucker.

Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 14:26 by Hatchling.

More
19 Nov 2012 14:24 #137983 by SuperflyPete

Hatchling wrote: goddam. nice pulp fiction reference, you mushroom-cloud making motherfucker.

I bought that model SPECIFICALLY so I could have him and Vincent Vega on my "list" for Strange Aeons.

Still waiting on Foundry to send me this pack so I can paint up Travolta (ACE).

More
19 Nov 2012 23:03 - 19 Nov 2012 23:06 #138042 by jur
I decided to get back to blogging this spring because I needed to focus on what I really like: military history and gaming . It also offered me the opportunity to work on my writing style and create an audience. I was running a blog with a friend on Maximum Effort , a WWI megagame, but I felt too restrained by just sticking to that subject.

I'm not sure if my eclectic tastes in gaming and history work for a blog, it might need a clearer focus still.

I've decided I need to keep up the writing so I get used to writing regularly, although I'm not forcing myself to publish every day. But I have a string of ideas in the works that can keep me occupied for weeks even if I don't play any games or read any books.

Our club has also recently converted to a blog style website and I do post there once or twice a week. It's easier because it's in my native tongue.

Actually, writing is easy. Research and images are what takes most time. If you want to write something more profound, you need to check on stuff and I don't like using images from the web because of intellectual property issues and because I now have a bit of a personal touch. One goal for 2013 is to improve my imaging skills so it becomes routine and I can do some nice banners.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 23:06 by jur. Reason: links

More
19 Nov 2012 23:45 #138044 by SuperflyPete
Jur, hit my buddy JASON BENNINGFIELD up on Facebook. He's an incredibly talented illustrator. He works for pennies (my banner on my site cost me a shipment of OLYMPOS to him, 10$, and I got Olympos on review...)
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
19 Nov 2012 23:55 #138045 by jur

SuperflyTNT wrote: Jur, hit my buddy JASON BENNINGFIELD up on Facebook. He's an incredibly talented illustrator. He works for pennies (my banner on my site cost me a shipment of OLYMPOS to him, 10$, and I got Olympos on review...)

Thanks Pete, I'll check him out

More
19 Nov 2012 23:56 - 19 Nov 2012 23:57 #138046 by OldHippy
I have a secret blog that I don't give anyone the name of. I might "share" it on FB once in a blue moon pretending it's not me. Then I have another one that is for the band that I never touch. Mostly any writing I do is lyrics and I'm not about to post those for everyone to see. It's pointless without the music. Poetry is my first passion so I wrtie a ton of it but it's not for anyone. It just sits in a file on my computer and no one knows about it then when I need lyrics I flip through and see what's useful. I also write satirical stuff for a joke band we have.. no one here will ever see it, it's highly offensive and not for public consumption. My wife heard it once and said she didn't want to know about it anymore... keep it secret and don't tell her. That was her policy.

That's it for me and writing, I find games writing really dull and have a hard time getting through it. Few people can entertain me with games writing, or podcasts (which I never listen to), and certainly video reviews which I just can't watch to completion.

Thread posts on the other hand are more conversational and I have an easier time digesting them.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2012 23:57 by OldHippy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.622 seconds