October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

I have discovered why movers can drive you nuts

More
20 Nov 2012 23:46 #138100 by ubarose
Can't find the thread with Barnes vent about his moving company carefully packing items of lesser value and trashing his nice things, so starting a new one.

This is what I have discovered in the past week.

If you can afford to hire a moving company, then you are most likely in a different socio-economic class than the people who are packing up your stuff. They will carefully pack up the items that they recognize as being on the high end of what they themselves might own, but do not recognize the the value or cost of the items that are at the high end of what you own. Thus the "nice new" Target furniture is carefully wrapped and packed, but the "old" (i.e. antique) chair is tossed carelessly onto the truck.

Having recently reclaimed some of my possessions from the cleaning service, I am somewhat dreading what I will discover when I get the rest back from them 8 - 12 months from now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: billyz, Rliyen, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2012 23:55 #138101 by Michael Barnes
Yep- $150 Ikea bookshelf, wrapped in plastic and delicately moved. $2000 Herman Miller table, treated like a yard sale cast off.

Sadly, that's exactly the case...it is a weird kind of class thing.

Total tangent here- one of the things I really like about DePalma's Scarface is how Tony Montana goes out and buys some of the ugliest, most god-awful furniture and decor imaginable. Black lacquer with gold, all that stuff. Because that's what a rags-to-riches Cuban immigrant that came out of not having anything would see as being "rich" or "wealthy".

But our poor minimalist table would not be considered those things, outside of people who know what it is and that have taste.

Good to hear you guys are oscar mike and all that, best wishes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, scissors

More
21 Nov 2012 00:29 #138102 by OldHippy
Never ever trust movers. Last move I did we hired some people to help and I worked with them every step of the way. It's a little cheaper that way because you help the work go faster and also because they get instructions on how to handle what items. It's a pain in the ass but not as bad as having your shit broken. I actually had one of the movers tell me I was a huge nerd because of all the boxes of games and stuff. I was just happy he didn't say geek.

Hope all goes well, moving is high on my list of shitty things to do.

More
21 Nov 2012 00:44 #138103 by moofrank
We did all of our own packing, save for furniture. But we made sure to walk through with both the owner for the original estimate as well as the crew chief before we let them touch anything.

Actually Sandi did the walkthrough. I swear that this big ex-marine was afraid to go into the sewing room after that.

Only two bits of damage. They mangled my homebrew outdoor floor lamp. (It was an outdoor lamppost bolted to an 65lb umbrella stand as a base.) And apparently Hall Trees can't stand up by themselves in the wind....
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
21 Nov 2012 00:51 - 21 Nov 2012 00:55 #138104 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Sadly, that's exactly the case...it is a weird kind of class thing.

It's not a class thing, it's a work ethic thing. Motherfuckers need to be told, up front, what the expectations are, and what the reward is. And always pack your own shit.

This is why my shit has been moved 2 times by movers and both times shit came back pristine: I told the movers on the front end that I want every item treated like the crown fucking jewels. I want all my furniture (which isn't nice, no Herman Miller anything) and possessions to not be all fucked up. In return, each mover would make 250 dollars, cash, off the books. And I showed it to them.

Unsurprisingly, my shit was exactly as I left it. Pristine. My couch and recliners cost 1400 bucks. We bought them a year before we moved. So, the way I see it, I spent 500 dollars of insurance that my shit wouldn't be fucked up.

Works every time.

I was just happy he didn't say geek.

After the move was done, simply look at him and say, "Hey, remember when you called me a geek? Yeah, remember who is the one who's only salable skill is lifting heavy for a living. Maybe go buy Catan."
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 00:55 by SuperflyPete.

More
21 Nov 2012 02:17 - 21 Nov 2012 02:18 #138107 by ubarose
I didn't have much choice or control over the situation. The insurance company brought in an "extreme cleaning" team, which meant I had about 12 - 14 people in my house all at the same time sorting, packing, moving, assessing damage and taking inventory. It was like an episode of hoarders, except instead of me sitting out back on lawn chair saying keep or trash, it was me and the insurance adjuster racing from room to room going, "Yikes! That's the good stuff."

We got no comments on the games, as it was by far over shadowed by the weirdness of the doll stuff and the alienness of the Jewish stuff.
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 02:18 by ubarose.

More
21 Nov 2012 02:30 - 21 Nov 2012 02:30 #138109 by iguanaDitty
The one time I had movers I was fresh out of college and so not only had very little to move but it was ALL I OWNED IN THE WORLD so I had this view that everything was worth keeping. So I desperately wanted to keep the fish sauce that came in this giant glass bottle. They very carefully wrapped the thing and on the other end my wife and I were greeted with the lovely smell of dead fish.

Fish sauce is awesome, though.

(glad you and fam are OK)
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 02:30 by iguanaDitty.

More
21 Nov 2012 02:50 - 21 Nov 2012 02:50 #138110 by ThirstyMan

JonJacob wrote: I actually had one of the movers tell me I was a huge nerd because of all the boxes of games and stuff. I was just happy he didn't say geek.

Is there a difference between the two words? I thought they both meant the same thing. I guess you have to be a nerd/geek to know the difference :)
Last edit: 21 Nov 2012 02:50 by ThirstyMan.

More
21 Nov 2012 04:39 #138117 by Shellhead
I have moved seven times since college, and never used professional movers, just friends and family. Don't kid yourself that the amateurs would be that much better than the professionals. They have good intentions, but the quality of their work declines some dramatically as they get tired.

In my last move, one of my cheap Walmart bookcases (only time that I ever bought anything there) was utterly destroyed after a rapid descent down a long flight of stairs. An important bolt went missing from my bed frame. My machete has vanished from the face of the earth. And one mover's son terrorized my cat twice despite being warned to leave him alone, and the second incident left me with claw marks and cat piss on my shirt. That said, we got the entire move done right on schedule despite my strict and optimistic timeline.

The move before that went really well, only resulting in serious damage to the love seat.

More
21 Nov 2012 05:31 #138118 by SuperflyPete
I think I missed something, Shellie, last time I heard from you a storm was en route and your power was out.

What happenedto you?

More
21 Nov 2012 06:14 #138120 by Ancient_of_MuMu
You are not supposed to mention these things when I am moving in 3 weeks time.

More
21 Nov 2012 14:32 #138133 by ubarose

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: You are not supposed to mention these things when I am moving in 3 weeks time.

Here's a bit of advise - something I learned from the dry cleaner's daughter who came to help pack up the clothes and soft goods, and who was the one person who recognized the doll stuff. Put the value of your stuff in terms that the person handling it understands. When she handed her father a box of doll clothes she said, "Dad, this stuff in this small box is worth as much as a wedding gown."

More
21 Nov 2012 14:38 #138134 by ubarose

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think I missed something, Shellie, last time I heard from you a storm was en route and your power was out.

What happenedto you?

I joined the exclusive "Matt Drake: Holy Shit My House is On Fire!" club. Last week was moving and salvage. Next week they arrive with the dumpsters, shovels and sledge hammers.

More
21 Nov 2012 14:57 #138136 by VonTush
The one question I have is were you as well on your 13th game of Risk:Legacy like Drake?
All the best though and I hope you get through this with as few headaches as possible.

More
21 Nov 2012 15:15 #138139 by The King in Yellow

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think I missed something, Shellie, last time I heard from you a storm was en route and your power was out.

What happenedto you?

Uba posted photographic evidence on the "Who's Running This Joint?" thread, which is on page 3 now.

I wish that I had her coping abilities.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds