October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Dune: Worst Franchise in History

More
21 Dec 2012 23:38 - 22 Dec 2012 00:01 #140119 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Barney, spice makes people live a really long life and helps their health, and it's a mind altering narcotic that can give some psychic abilities.

. . . and enables interstellar space travel, which pretty much means the planet runs the entire galactic economy. Not as tasty as cumin, but it has its uses.

The book is quite dense. Herbert had an ability to describe concepts via new vocabulary (e.g., "plasteel") or via passing reference where the concept could be discerned from its usage. It's not a book that you read quickly. But it's a book that packs twice as much material into the same number of pages as other books in the genre.

I read Dune and Battlefield Earth back to back and in spite of Battlefield Earth being twice as long Dune felt like a much bigger read. It's not the kind of book that translates well into a film.

But I'll agree, it is likely the franchise that has generated the least amount of positive cash flow for the amount of potential it has.

S.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2012 00:01 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Fallen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2012 00:09 #140122 by tscook
I think you mean Star Wars.

More
22 Dec 2012 00:37 #140124 by QPCloudy

tscook wrote: I think you mean Star Wars.

Star Wars is terrible. Incest, homosexual beastiality, furries. Good lord, terrible! Don't even get me started on that little green fucker. Dude needs to go back to school and learn to speak properly.

More
22 Dec 2012 04:25 #140131 by Disgustipater

QPCloudy wrote: Fuck Star Wars though. Star Trek is so much better.

FACT.

More
22 Dec 2012 05:23 #140133 by metalface13

QPCloudy wrote:

tscook wrote: I think you mean Star Wars.

Star Wars is terrible. Incest, homosexual beastiality, furries. Good lord, terrible! Don't even get me started on that little green fucker. Dude needs to go back to school and learn to speak properly.

Double-edged sword. Those are all the reasons that make Star Wars awesome. How many furries does Star Trek have? Zilch I bet.

So do you really not like Dune? I'm confused. I love the book and the David Lynch movie, but disappointed we didn't get to see Jodorowsky do it. I've never read any of the Dun sequels, I heard they were lames-ville.

Never played the board game, but I was intrigued by the CCG game when it came out.

More
22 Dec 2012 05:37 #140135 by SaMoKo

metalface13 wrote: Double-edged sword. Those are all the reasons that make Star Wars awesome. How many furries does Star Trek have? Zilch I bet.

Counterpoint:

I'm sure they have a hole somewhere.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman, QPCloudy

More
22 Dec 2012 09:09 #140137 by SaMoKo
Although a shitty attempt to bait a freak out, Dune really was a bad franchise. The stupid number of books that followed the original were ok at best and the movie was stunningly bad.

The Herbert estate seems to believe that if enough books are written they'll eventually end up with the one spinoff that's as good as the original - the Kwisatz Haderach if you will. Dune was great, but it might have been easier to sell as a seizure-inducing HFR3D trilogy without all the baggage.

More
22 Dec 2012 09:45 #140138 by Erik Twice
What I still don't know: Why is the Herbert state so stingy with the license?

More
22 Dec 2012 11:54 #140140 by repoman
Oh I know QP was just trying to conjure some freakout out of the air but...

Dune, the setting is really interesting. The feudalistic nature of it with powerful nobles that had to be played off each other lest they become too strong and unseat the Emperor was relatively unique. The fact that interstellar travel was based on the use of a drug only found on one harsh desolate planet was cool. Even the Freeman were fairly cool in their understanding of the planet and how to cope with it.

What sucked about Dune. And I mean really sucked was the adolescent philosophy that runs through it. Hebert trying to make it seem a lot deeper than it actually is. Just annoying really. Frankly I think the book is overrated.

Subsequent books after the first by Hebert and his kid? Terrible.

The movie? God awful trash.

The game? Only played it once. Thought it was pretty good and influential. You can see bits and pieces of it in many games since.

Star Trek? Love it. Even through the absolute worst of the episodes. "Help me, Spock! Help me!"

STNG? Has it's moments but can really suck. The first season is garbage. The latter seasons where every plot boiled down to "Assumed ally is somehow mentally altered and now is an enemy" or "Holodeck comes to life". Damn, I would have that holodeck destroyed for all the chaos it caused.

ST Deep Space Nine? First two seasons are great. Haven't really made it past them.

ST Voyager? Hated it.

ST the one with Scott Bakula, whatever the hell it's called. Watched the first episode and that was it.

Star Wars? The original trilogy is awesome. The rest of the movies suck. Some of the fiction that came out after the original trilogy, specifically a set of books revolving around Han Solo I remember as being really good. But I was much younger when I read them so who knows how they've held up.

More
22 Dec 2012 12:55 #140144 by wice
No, the movie is fine. It's not great (at least compared to the book, but that's to be expected, usually), because the studio was messing with it left and right. It has fucking great visuals, and the characters are spot on. Please spare me the nerd rage about the switched up hair colors of Paul and Feyd, or that they changed some thing here and there (like the Weirding Way being transformed into a voice-weapon), because it doesn't fucking matter.

I especially love the look of the fully transformed Guild Navigators. When that giant fish tank rolled (or levitates?) into the Emperor's throne room, and the Navigator floated out of the smoke, it gave me the chills.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fallen

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.055 seconds