October 09, 2023
2493 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2696 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Harry Potter is Made of Wood

More
04 Jan 2013 07:07 #140711 by QPCloudy
Here is a post I previously shared elsewhere.

I'm not the most religious of folks, but I am Christian, and yes I know Harry potter is about witches. My point; the other day at the game shop I work at I put on the final hp movie on the ps3 to have on. It was incredibly dark and grim, and there was something about it that just made me uneasy almost in a spiritual way. I've always said people were nuts for disliking hp due to religious beliefs, but I can sort of see their point now.

Now, I want to say I did actually enjoy the first couple movies, but this one was just disturbing.

Also, American Horror Story is fucking awesome, lol.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2013 09:04 - 04 Jan 2013 09:05 #140713 by SaMoKo
A quick field journal report of my experience with Hogwarts spells:

Animal Growth: I cast this on my owl and it made some awful sounds as it was crushed to death in it's cage. Very sad. On a related note, I don't recommend buying the reinforced elf steel cages from that creepy old guy at the familiar store. Took far longer to bury this thing than I'd have liked.

Rating 3/10

Bigby's Crushing Hand: The grip is unpleasantly forceful and no safety word is provided. Still safer than scarfing probably, but I don't know why I endured 6 years of those Slitherin dickheads for this crap.

Rating 4/10

Power Word Stun: Spent a few hours in the dorm trying to pronounce this stupid thing before Ron distracted me with Lego Lord of the Rings on his PS3. I don't understand why Gimli consists of more blocks than Gandalf because of his size, but it's probably canon because the rest of it seemed to follow the movies pretty well (I haven't read the book because my teachers tell me it's racist against wizards). Had a pretty good time and learned that hobbits are pretty much pricks.

Rating: 7/10

Scry: I cast this on my dad and watched him renting a laserdisk collectors edition of Blade Runner and it took him almost 5 minutes making awkward conversation with the clerk before finding exact change. I guess the clerk thought he was hitting on him because he called the police while taking hits from his inhaler like a dorky meth addict. Horrifying.

Rating: 1/10

Mordekeinen's Faithful Steed: I've never liked horses but was surprised to learn that this creature was pleasantly tolerable. I checked it's teeth and spanked its flank sharply to determine the quality of the steed but this didn't seem to reveal much, but it didn't kick me in the face like most horses do during this. Sold it to a local Russian for thirty rubles and a pack of cigarettes covered with silly writing which will make for a good souvenir without having to actually endure Moscow. He might kick my ass when it vanishes into magic shit when I stop concentrating, so I'm forced to think about this dumb horse pretty much forever.

Rating: 0/10
Last edit: 04 Jan 2013 09:05 by SaMoKo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Sagrilarus, The King in Yellow, Hatchling, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, ThirstyMan

More
04 Jan 2013 13:49 #140716 by SuperflyPete
It's a movie. You played it in a game store full of games that are about demons, debauchery, and mass murder. Go to BGG and bitch about Tomorrow's theme next, and call Abner a heartless cunt for giggles.

What a poncy twat.

(WELCOME TO THIS WEEK'S.....

FFFRIDAY FFFREAKOUT!)

More
04 Jan 2013 13:58 #140718 by ThirstyMan
I went out yesterday for a Thai curry in the city. 4 hrs later I was shitting like a trooper with my ringpiece burning to fuck.

It made me uneasy almost in a spiritual way.

I always said people were nuts for disliking Thai food due to religious beliefs

I have enjoyed other curries but this one was just disturbing. Am I mental?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, wice, QPCloudy, SaMoKo, wadenels

More
04 Jan 2013 13:59 #140719 by tscook
As a wizard stop discriminating against me you ass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
04 Jan 2013 14:08 #140720 by san il defanso
The last Harry Potter book was very heavy on Christian subtexts, or at least subtexts that make a lot of the complaints from more conservative Christians about the series seem pretty near-sighted. A lot of that made it into the movie, but most of it just works better on the page.

I thought the last movie was a pretty excellent conclusion, but it is very dark. If you've only seen the first couple HP movies, I'm sure the transition would be shocking. I would recommend watching the stuff in between before rendering judgement.

More
04 Jan 2013 15:33 #140727 by Green Lantern
I don't get all the Christian hate for Harry Potter. How can anyone see allegory in Lord of the Rings and not see it in Harry Potter? I've never understood that and I am a Christian. I choose not to follow the herd on all fronts however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, san il defanso

More
04 Jan 2013 15:37 #140729 by QPCloudy
I love the heck out of LOTR. All I was saying was that the last hp rubbed me the wrong way and I can understand, though not necessarily agree with, radicals' opinions of the films.

More
04 Jan 2013 15:40 #140730 by QPCloudy
I also find it both hilarious and ridiculous the some people truly believe that Pokemon are evil demons from hell. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are not the fucking devil.

More
04 Jan 2013 15:46 #140733 by ThirstyMan

QPCloudy wrote: I also find it both hilarious and ridiculous the some people truly believe that Pokemon are evil demons from hell. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are not the fucking devil.

No obviously the real devil has a pointy tail and a deep and disturbing laugh. Also I think he was born of a jackal or something.

More
04 Jan 2013 15:55 #140736 by SuperflyPete
You're the devil, Andy?

More
04 Jan 2013 15:58 #140737 by Secret Satan

ThirstyMan wrote:

QPCloudy wrote: I also find it both hilarious and ridiculous the some people truly believe that Pokemon are evil demons from hell. Pikachu and Jigglypuff are not the fucking devil.

No obviously the real devil has a pointy tail and a deep and disturbing laugh. Also I think he was born of a jackal or something.

It's all stereotyping. I'm much closer in visage to the portrayal in Constantine. I wear Versace suits (after all, I have him here making them for me), Fidel and I smoke Cuban cigars, and honestly, the only reason they call me "the most unclean" is because I once farted in the presence of God.

QPCloudy, stop pretending. You know me better than most, with all that masturbation and furry fascination. Harry Potter is not of my will, your Hairy Palm is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

More
04 Jan 2013 18:05 #140743 by Rafael Silva
It's fiction just like the Bible, get over it.

More
04 Jan 2013 18:19 #140745 by Shellhead
"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."
-- Mahatma Gandhi
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
04 Jan 2013 18:31 #140746 by bfkiller
I like your Hogwarts, I do not like your Slytherin. Your Slytherin are so unlike your Hogwarts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: The King in Yellow, san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds