October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The Worst Thing You Can Bring to Game Night

More
07 Jan 2013 22:05 - 07 Jan 2013 22:07 #140940 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: back in my crazy Pete days

Last tuesday through friday?

I had this conversation with my wife maybe a week ago...she verified that while I am still "unstable and deranged" I am no longer crazy. No longer a threat to the public at large. LOL

It came up when we recounted "the fork incident" where I chased a guy 2 blocks with a grill fork. (Note: He called my wife a bitch, and had it coming.) We wondered if "cool guy Jeff" as we called him (Drove a souped up Mustang, had long white-blonde hair but was balding in the front at 20..that guy..)what ever became of him and his troll girlfriend. Whether she actually could pull her vagina lips over her head to resemble an inverted clam....but I digress.

Last time I did anything to anyone or anything was when I was 25, 12 years ago, when I smashed a guy in the head with a bottle, twice (first time it didn't shatter) to get him to calm the fuck down and stop trying to beat up our "karate master" friend who was pinned down by the dude on the beach.

Pretty much gave up drinking and fighting after that one....but what a night.

But seriously, I've played Heroscape and other games, been to Gencon a bazillion times, Origins twice...I've never seen anyone get shitty. But, I don't go to game stores ever so maybe that's why I'm missing all the crazy shit. I still can't understand why it's so important to win at a game. It's not like it matters in the grand scheme of things.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2013 22:07 by SuperflyPete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2013 22:30 #140942 by Egg Shen
Just to be clear with cell phones: getting text and phone calls is NOT a problem with me. When someone is just tittering away on facebook or playing angry birds that shit pisses me off. You're sitting at a table with actual people...why not socialize and talk to them during downtime. Everyone understands that people have personal lives and wives/girlfriends/husbands to attend to. There are going to texts/calls during gamenight and I have no problem rolling with that. I'll go take a piss or grab a beer...it's not a big deal.

More
07 Jan 2013 22:44 - 07 Jan 2013 22:46 #140945 by Shellhead

Egg Shen wrote: Just to be clear with cell phones: getting text and phone calls is NOT a problem with me. When someone is just tittering away on facebook or playing angry birds that shit pisses me off. You're sitting at a table with actual people...why not socialize and talk to them during downtime. Everyone understands that people have personal lives and wives/girlfriends/husbands to attend to. There are going to texts/calls during gamenight and I have no problem rolling with that. I'll go take a piss or grab a beer...it's not a big deal.

A short phone call is one thing, but if the entire game comes to a lengthy halt because one person is on a long phone call, that's rude bullshit. If the call is really important, drop out of the game and take care of business. Otherwise, wrap the call up in a few minutes. This should be basic common sense: pay attention to the people that you are with, not to the people who are somewhere else.

One friend is particularly bad about this stuff. He spends too much time texting during a game. He sometimes will get distracted playing a game on his phone while failing to pay attention to the game on the table in front of him. And one time he tanked a game of Death Angel because he got a complicated tech support call while he was on-call. We eventually had somebody take over his team, but the damage was already done.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2013 22:46 by Shellhead.

More
07 Jan 2013 23:50 - 08 Jan 2013 00:11 #140949 by Dogmatix
So, shellie, your friend was *on-call* (which means "at work" for those not familiar with the concept) and, even though "being distracted" is clearly a crime aganist humanity for you and yours, you invited him to play anyway? How stupid are you?

In my case, there's no such thing as a game night/day/afternoon for me when work might NOT interrupt anywhere from 1 to 3 times over the course of a 6-7 hour stretch of daylight. I truly don't give a shit if your turn is delayed 10 minutes. Get a beer; I'll be back ASAP, but letting it go to voicemail could easily turn into a disaster that takes me 2 days to un-fuck. Depending on the degree of clusterfuck, it could also cost me MY job. This is why I generally don't play games with strangers. If I've got to eat shit because you think your game is more important than my family or my job, I can honestly say, I hope you die screaming and alone. You deserve it.
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 00:11 by Dogmatix.

More
07 Jan 2013 23:50 #140950 by QPCloudy
I have a friend who really doesn't care for Talisman. We all wanted to play so we asked him to try with us. He didn't even try. Played on the iPad the whole time.

More
07 Jan 2013 23:55 #140951 by SuperflyPete
I banned my best friend's 20 year old from game night for exactly that reason...texting constantly. It's rude, and it illustrates that they'd rather be talking to someone else.

Her and her mom are BAD about that...they'll sit and text one another in the same fucking room without actually speaking, and so in the beginning I banned texting at the table so no cheating would be going on since they always "seemed" to collude. But then it went ON AND ON AND ON with that buzzing every 3-4 seconds. Truth be told, of the two daughters, I've always really not liked her since she's so bitchy and self-centered to begin with, but that texting shit was too much.

Rules for Game Night:
superflycircus.blogspot.com/2010/03/they...to-you-10-rules.html

Note, my official mascot, Howard, passed away last year. He was mentally retarded, country as corn-fucking-bread, but was such a sweet and nice man. Looked like a serial killer, though, no bullshit.

More
07 Jan 2013 23:57 #140952 by KingPut
Drunk Bobbytweaks spilled eggnog on my king of Tokyo game last week. We laughed are asses off at that. Luckily king of cleans up nicely. But dairy products or anything that can smell like spoiled milk shouldn't be near a game board. We had to sell a car because it smelled so bad after one of my kids milk bottles spilled with out us knowing about it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyPete

More
08 Jan 2013 00:48 - 08 Jan 2013 01:03 #140954 by Hatchling

KingPut wrote: We had to sell a car because it smelled so bad after one of my kids milk bottles spilled with out us knowing about it.

QueenPut: "Ugh! What's that horrible smell??!"

KingPut: "It's stale, acidic and weedy. I wouldn't say it's putrid, but it definitely has unclean overtones, with strong hints of malt and fermented fruit."

QueenPut: "Jerk"
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 01:03 by Hatchling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Sagrilarus, wadenels

More
08 Jan 2013 02:17 #140959 by Juniper
Worst thing to bring:

a new game that you will insist on playing even though nobody in the group -- including you -- has played it before, and you haven't read the rules yet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover, Black Barney

More
08 Jan 2013 03:27 #140962 by Shellhead

Dogmatix wrote: So, shellie, your friend was *on-call* (which means "at work" for those not familiar with the concept) and, even though "being distracted" is clearly a crime aganist humanity for you and yours, you invited him to play anyway? How stupid are you?

In my case, there's no such thing as a game night/day/afternoon for me when work might NOT interrupt anywhere from 1 to 3 times over the course of a 6-7 hour stretch of daylight. I truly don't give a shit if your turn is delayed 10 minutes. Get a beer; I'll be back ASAP, but letting it go to voicemail could easily turn into a disaster that takes me 2 days to un-fuck. Depending on the degree of clusterfuck, it could also cost me MY job. This is why I generally don't play games with strangers. If I've got to eat shit because you think your game is more important than my family or my job, I can honestly say, I hope you die screaming and alone. You deserve it.

He didn't tell us that he was on-call that night, or even that he had just started working that month at a job that involved on-call work. And when he got the call from work, he didn't even tell us then what was going on, he just opened up his laptop and started doing stuff while talking on the phone. It was rude bullshit because of the total lack of communication on his part. A brief explanation would have been nice, but we had to finally straight out ask him what was going on. Since he's the same guy who sometimes gets totally distracted by a smartphone game or text message conversation while hanging out with people or playing a game, it's apparent that the issue isn't his on-call work but his lack of manners. Even you might have been pissed if you were there.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds