October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Cool Stuff INC

More
10 Jan 2013 21:38 - 10 Jan 2013 21:42 #141286 by Dogmatix
Replied by Dogmatix on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
Honestly, if it's that important [and I'm not taking the piss here, my "Gamer OCD" manifests itself in weird ways and I've bought whole new copies of games because I prefered a certain style of component] , if you want to spend $7 more dollars on postage, I'd trade you my big-ass box for your smaller one [just the box + insert as my cards are hopelessly intermixed]. Probably have to do it along with the mapboards, I suspect, as I bet they changed the size on those yet again to accomodate a smaller box.

Space really does matter in my world and boxes are things that I tend to throw out if I can consolidate or downsize. I would be all over the new runewars to get rid of this coffin box if I thought that the expansion(s) would fit comfortably. 2 smaller boxes doesn't work any better than 1 huge one for me] :)

Honestly, if you can get back into your $33 amazon order, I'd swap ya and even throw in a set of promo cards (3 of the 4 anyway as I only have 1 copy of the newest) and the errata card since I have like 6 spare sets of them.

And, Barnes, were you as surprised and/or pissed-off as I was that the master set used different hard playboards than the previously printed premium boards? Pissed me off no end that the thick boards no-way no-how fit in the Master Set box.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 21:42 by Dogmatix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2013 21:48 #141287 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
Yeah, we'd have to trade boards as well as the smaller box contains a six-fold.

More
10 Jan 2013 22:47 - 10 Jan 2013 22:48 #141292 by ioticus
Replied by ioticus on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
I've ordered nearly $10,000 worth of games from them over the years and only had one problem which they took care of right away. They are also really good about communication if you have any questions.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 22:48 by ioticus.

More
10 Jan 2013 23:18 - 11 Jan 2013 01:48 #141297 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
Each faction gets a bag, face up card on both sides, drop in the box. Lift the board out and every faction is staring at you from the bottom of the box. Nothing is easier than that, especially when you drop the box.

S.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 01:48 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 Jan 2013 02:08 #141303 by Dogmatix

Sagrilarus wrote: Each faction gets a bag, face up card on both sides, drop in the box. Lift the board out and every faction is staring at you from the bottom of the box. Nothing is easier than that, especially when you drop the box.

S.

Which is pretty much how I have them in the big box now anyway thanks to having fumbled it upside down pulling it off the top of the bookshelf once early on. Cards everywhere....a fine facepalm moment...

More
11 Jan 2013 03:32 #141309 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
I suppose. Ah well. It's a great game and I can't wait to get those armies and that board.

More
11 Jan 2013 03:39 #141311 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC

Dogmatix wrote: And, Barnes, were you as surprised and/or pissed-off as I was that the master set used different hard playboards than the previously printed premium boards? Pissed me off no end that the thick boards no-way no-how fit in the Master Set box.

YES! That made me so mad. Now I have those old boards- two of them so four pieces- floating around. I've actually been using them as X-Wing boards when we're not using a friend's piece of space plywood.

But it is kind of cool, I can actually table six players in SW at once.

More
11 Jan 2013 13:52 #141324 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
I hadn't realized they were different boards. I held on to the old paper maps for the blue-moon occurrence of a four-player game.

More
12 Jan 2013 03:13 #141383 by Nagajur
Replied by Nagajur on topic Re: Cool Stuff INC
I heard in D6G podcast that the SW master set was underpriced and he noted that he either needed to raise the price or reduce the cost for the subsequent runs. He seemed to indicate that PHG was making next to nothing on the game because they did not appropriately calculate container shipping for a full size box since they were used to the tiny packages.

More
12 Jan 2013 03:47 #141386 by Dogmatix

Nagajur wrote: I heard in D6G podcast that the SW master set was underpriced and he noted that he either needed to raise the price or reduce the cost for the subsequent runs. He seemed to indicate that PHG was making next to nothing on the game because they did not appropriately calculate container shipping for a full size box since they were used to the tiny packages.

Doesn't surprise me. The thing I found kind of bizarre was that he went with a box that was, as far as I can figure, absolutely unique. That struck me as kind of odd as I figured that there were, if not standards, then "conventions". I hate Queen Games' choice in packaging as, 90% of the time the box seems to be WAY too big for the contents, but they basically make their games fit in 1 of 3 or 4 boxes. Most wargame publishers have been within about 10% of the old 3M/Avalon Hill models for bookshelf and flat boxes since, what, 1980?

I'm sure Plaid Hat had the best of intentions here--and it's absolutely a nice set, without question; and one that still holds up after a heap of expansions and even a ton of dice sets--but it just seemed odd.

And I think this is the most I've ever thought or conversed about a gamebox NOT produced by Queen [for which I'm filled with loathing], FFG or Splotter [2 more "box as branding" companies]...

Edit: Oh, wait. The Risk: Onyx edition Box from Hell. I had a great combo of coupons and free gift certs that allowed me to pick up a copy off the virtual clearance table for like $12 shipped. Wish I had paid more attention I thought they screwed up my order and sent me a mini-fridge when the shipping box landed on my porch. Didn't get much better when I pulled that friggin' coffee table-sized box out. Another "where the hell am I going to put THIS brute?" moment.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds