October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What Causes you Nerd Rage?

More
18 Jan 2013 20:40 - 18 Jan 2013 22:32 #141880 by Space Ghost
This came up in my repeated postings in the what games have you been playing thread. I hate it when people keep going on and on about a topic, and it is worse when you realize that sometimes you are that person.

For the most part, I don't experience nerd rage on any topic (from kickstarter to someone having house rules, whatever). I can only think of two things that cause me nerd rage:

1. Token creatures in MtG - especially if the tokens are cards produced by Wizards of the Coast to be used as tokens (completely irrational, I know).

2. When people bend the shit out of books I lend them (or if someone writes in a $200 statistics monograph -- WTF). How hard is it to treat other people's property with respect and care?

So, what causes you guys nerd rage?
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 22:32 by Space Ghost.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jan 2013 21:05 #141882 by SuperflyPete
1. Michael Barnes.
2. When I'm watching a romantic comedy on my Xbox and I get the "Black Barney Is On Line" notification. (Which my wife and I always find hilarious because the timing is always PERFECT.
3. People who believe they know everything on a subject because they once skimmed a Wikipedia page.
4. People from point 3 who then, in their argument, will link to that same page as evidence of their vast wealth of understanding.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
18 Jan 2013 21:09 #141884 by Shellhead
1. Cheetos anywhere near my boardgames.

2. Avengers Disassembled.

3. the Prometheus prequel to Alien.

More
18 Jan 2013 21:27 #141893 by TheDukester
Threads about nerdrage?

No? Too obvious? Okay, then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: metalface13

More
18 Jan 2013 21:45 #141895 by Michael Barnes
Nerd rage gives me nerd rage.

In RL, I never really get nerd rage. I'm just not THAT close to any kind of nerd concern. But online,the thing that gets me is the sense of entitlement that "fans" of any kind of nerd property have, this weird combination of a sense of ownership as well as an assumption that creators owe it to fans to kowtow to their every whim and desire.

Oh, and pretty much everything Black Barney ever writes sends me into blind nerd rage. Also when QPCloudy struts around here acting like he knows it all when he's just a NOOB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, QPCloudy

More
18 Jan 2013 21:59 #141898 by Bull Nakano
those stupid t-shirts with sayings like "beam me up scotty, no intelligent life here."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2013 22:00 #141899 by Ska_baron
Every damn time Ken B comes back.

How many chances are we really gonna give that guy??
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, allismom3

More
18 Jan 2013 22:18 #141903 by Black Barney
I can't believe how many hits I'm getting in this thread.

Pete, you can totally turn that notification off during videos, but I don't want to tell you how cuz that's too funny. I can imagine you watching a pr0n with your wife and right when you're about to asplode... Black Barney is online. lol, I just bought you another 4 minutes!

Space Ghost's irrational hatred of token creatures is funny. He also probably shouldn't be lending books away.

I dunno what causes me nerd rage but it does happen. I think it's mostly when someone is wrong but they're sure they're right and there's just no way to reason with them.

...also Ken leaving the toilet seat up

lol, that's funny on so many levels

More
18 Jan 2013 22:50 #141904 by Michael Barnes
I for one am fed up with Ken B.'s assumption that we will always welcome him back with open arms. My goodwill for that guy is running pretty thin, one too many "welcome back" parties. Talk about a sense of entitlement.

More
18 Jan 2013 22:57 #141905 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: What Causes you Nerd Rage?
I am not a big fan of anti-intellectualism. I will call that out and get testy if someone takes obvious pride in not knowing jack-shit. A lot of this is rhetoric, but I don't like cherry-picking. I don't like argument by anecdote. I don't like ad hominem unless it is to point out the above, then it can be pretty funny.

As noted elsewhere, I don't like Comic Sans. It's not a good font and it makes you look like an idiot. I understand that you don't care about this! By all means, ignore me and go back to plucking and eyelash to paint your mini's toenails.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes, wadenels

More
18 Jan 2013 23:16 #141906 by Michael Barnes
Somebody on my team used Comic Sans in a customer-facing proposal exhibit the other day. I recommended that they be fired and have their eyeballs thrown away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb

More
19 Jan 2013 00:55 #141908 by username
I was thinking I had some decent nerd rage issues, but i realise they are just general rage issues.

1. "I hate how hollywood ruined the books of the author of my choice, and I never shut up about it but the prison rapes they did to your favorite book are ok, I mean they had to improve it right right right?"

2. I know you haven't seen this major release yet ( we meet every sunday evening, often even those that go to movie quickly haven't had a chance yet) but I fel this driving urge to tell you about this one part that in my self centered ausbergers-ness I don't feel ruins anything even though it obviously does and we have an explicit policy as a club to not ruin movies within three meetings of release.

3. People who are disgusting. I laugh at threads online about the wrong snacks. Can't even have food in my group because certain people are so fucken gross with food. My adopted two year old is a cleaner eater and he wears 25% of what he trys to eat. He also doesn't double dip or spit food across the table when he talks.

4. Cheap fuckers. Ugh don't get me started. We all have different levels of disposable cash but don't say your chippin in on pizza, or hotel room on convention trip or whatever and then act like Mr Krabs the whole weekend when it comes to group expenses.

More
19 Jan 2013 01:17 - 19 Jan 2013 01:17 #141909 by Jexik
Someone saying that Final Fantasy 7 is their favorite console RPG.

My first question is always, "Was it your first one?"

Answer is always, "Yes."

CT4Life
Last edit: 19 Jan 2013 01:17 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
19 Jan 2013 01:33 #141911 by Not Sure
1. Nerds.

More
19 Jan 2013 02:04 #141912 by Hatchling
I keep my nerd rage stifled. But here are some triggers:

-when (usu larger) people walk and their hand waves in a wide sideway ark.
-when people put their feet up on the subway seat.
-when someone talks audibly on a cell phone for a long time in an otherwise quiet place (like a waiting room, train, etc)
-when people bend and twist their hand of cards in a game.
-when someone cancels just before our group is supposed to meet for a game that I had been spending a lot of time preparing for and that needs an exact number of players.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser, mikecl

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds