October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Phones: Android or iThing?

More
22 Feb 2013 20:51 #144995 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Phones: Android or iThing?
If you want a shitload of boardgames, go for the iPhone. If only a handful will suffice, Android is also a fine choice.

Stability can be an issue with Android, if you consider *all* the available phones that have Android on them. But if you consider only the best ones (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S III or Nexus 4), then you'll probably find them just as stable as the iPhone. I'd probably go for the Nexus 4, simply because it has stock Android, so it gets the updates for Android instantly.

Just a personal note: if you are somewhat a power-user (so you are not a complete newcomer to computers and you usually have some ideas what you would like your computer to be able to do), you will soon find iOS's limitations fucking annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 21:17 #145019 by Dr. Mabuse

SuperflyTNT wrote: All I can say, brother. Go with God.

Hey Pete,if that's code for make-believe tech that's omnipotent, omniscient and has free international texting*, I'm calling bullshit.

*[sotto voce: freakout friday]

sag wrote: I own a $9 phone so I have no dog in the hunt. I'd recommend you do the same and spend the hundreds dollars you'll save per year on games for other platforms (including your table) but I'm well aware that once you walk down the smartphone path it's very hard to find your way back.

Sadly, Sag as the last holdout in my family a few years back, I got my BlahBerry due to family peer pressure (there's nothing worse than being mocked by an 8 year old for having an "old" phone).

Texting and wi-fi became my technological succubi after I made the switch. Good on you though.

More
22 Feb 2013 21:29 #145027 by Dair
Replied by Dair on topic Re: Phones: Android or iThing?
Who gives a fuck either way Doc. Get a fucking iPad already so I can get a Titan iOS player that takes more than one turn a week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
22 Feb 2013 21:31 #145031 by Dr. Mabuse

Dair wrote: Who gives a fuck either way Doc. Get a fucking iPad already so I can get a Titan iOS player that takes more than one turn a week.

I only I could Dair...if only.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair

More
22 Feb 2013 23:32 #145044 by Hatchling
I have nothing to contribute to this thread. I am one of the 10% or so of humans left on the planet who still doesn't use a cell phone. Only once did I sorely miss one. But the rest of the time I don't notice.

More
22 Feb 2013 23:52 #145045 by OldHippy
Go back to a rotary phone, go back to hating people with zero's in their phone number. Your life will only suffer from getting an iPhone (my evil of choice) it adds so little and takes away so much.

The boardgame/app selection on the iPhone is amazing, truly. But the novelty of playing games on a phone either wears off quickly or starts stealing your time to contemplate who you are.

Your choice, but you don't need it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
23 Feb 2013 00:29 #145051 by Black Barney
get a Windows Phone like me! Then we can play games together!

More
23 Feb 2013 03:46 #145065 by dysjunct
My story is like Pete's except I started with the iPad. Before that I had a desktop and several netbooks running flavors of Linux. Got the iPad. Now I have an iPad, an iPhone, and an iMac, and it's hard to imagine going back. They just work. Android (and Linux generally) are great for people who like to tweak their gear all the time. But if you want your stuff to work great out of the box and not require constant management, Apple is the way to go. I hope Linux gets there eventually; I am down with free/free software and open culture; but then I realized that I have hobbies I like more than "fiddle with my stuff to make it work."

More
23 Feb 2013 05:16 #145072 by ThirstyMan
I can't stand smartphones.

When I was in the states last summer, the number of times I would have a conversation and someone would say 'Wait, let me check that on Wikipedia for you...' NO FUCK YOU. Lets have a bloody conversation instead.

I noticed in Amsterdam, bars were full but silent, with the light from smartphones illuminating the punters faces. A couple weren't talking they were just passing an iphone between the two of them looking at cat videos or some such bollocks. Don't want part of that culture thanks.

I love the ipad for euros against the AI and reading stupid WH40K fluff and reading the news. I didn't think I would like the ipad but gaming nailed it for me.

More
23 Feb 2013 15:21 #145099 by SuperflyPete
tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/02/23/apple-sa...tories+(Top+Stories)

Here's a good reason to go I....iPhones are 3x as reliable as the best Android on the market,

And andy, hit me on Gamecenter. Superfly7n7, so I can kick your ass at Puerto Rico

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds