October 09, 2023
2483 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2685 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

This made me laugh a lot...

More
15 Feb 2014 11:12 - 15 Feb 2014 11:16 #171952 by Michael Barnes
Well, since Space Cadets is clearly a multimillion dollar franchise, I am issuing a Cease and Desist on behalf of Star Trek Holdings and Enterprises, INC LLC regarding Mr. Engelstein's depiction of the "USS Reluctant", which bears a striking resemblance to the USS Defiant. I will hold a percentage of any "go away lawyers" payment in escrow for the Star Trek company since there is potential marketplace confusion. A small stipend to be awarded to Cpt. Benjamin Sisko as there are potential damages to the captain's reputation given that the game depicts the ship in question as being under frequently incompetent or even abusive leadership.

I will be PMing my Paypal address so that we can clear up this ugly matter with expedience.

Michael Barnes
The Law Offices of Michael Barnes
Last edit: 15 Feb 2014 11:16 by Michael Barnes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Feb 2014 11:18 #171953 by Jackwraith
I think the sales multiplier would have been significant, as the established fanbase for Trek and Trek: NG is a couple orders of magnitude higher than Space Cadets. You would have had people buying because they're Trek fans and would have had people buying for Trek fans. The very mild drawback is opening yourself up for criticism of "cashing in on a license" like the post that started this thread and alienating the much smaller group of people who would avoid the game because they believe it's simply a pasted on "Star Trek" product. In this case, the fans of a successful game like Cadets are probably more likely to pursue something with that name in the same manner as Trek fans. There's a line of diminishing returns in there somewhere vis-a-vis fan following/license attachment.

More
15 Feb 2014 11:23 - 15 Feb 2014 11:25 #171954 by repoman
No doubt putting Star Trek on that box would make a huge difference. Of course I imagine the cost of the license would have been large as well. But if Whiz Kids can swing it, I wonder why Stronghold couldn't.

As to Space Cadets being the biggest selling title, I may have been drunk...ok it was WBC so I WAS drunk when I heard it. Maybe it was in reference to original games rather than a reprint? Or maybe I was just wrong.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2014 11:25 by repoman.

More
15 Feb 2014 11:50 #171955 by Gary Sax
Sales multiplier would have been absolutely huge. Revenues would have been much, much higher. Does that mean the money you saw would have been higher for the designer? Probably, but it's possible no... that Star Trek license probably takes a huge cut of the revenue.

More
15 Feb 2014 12:35 #171957 by Black Barney
but is the license a fixed cost or variable?

I'm sure there is data available on Trek Catan. See what happened there for some guidance and remember that you have two established franchises working together on that one.

More
15 Feb 2014 13:55 #171961 by Gary Sax
^good question, I won't pretend to know anything about the business of licensing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 Feb 2014 14:52 #171963 by Ken B.
I'll hold out for Space Cadets: Das Kartenspiel, thanks

More
15 Feb 2014 14:56 #171964 by scissors
It may not be the be the best selling but the Space Cadets games are apparently the fastest-selling for Stronghold and that's pretty great too. From S. Buonocore himself answering in a BGG thread:

So, I look out the window to the several inches of snow that has fallen overnight, and I sigh... I pour my first cup of coffee, and sit down to read some BGG stuff, and...

WOW! Here is one interesting and lively discussion!

First of all, everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I am ok with a segment of gamers not liking Space Cadets or Space Cadets: Dice Duel. No game, not a single game, is for everyone.

But the appeal of these games is real. Space Cadets (the original) was my fastest selling game of all time, and I sold through the not-insignificantly-sized print run in about 8 weeks, and had to reprint quickly.

Space Cadets: Dice Duel is on course to be even faster selling, and have even more appeal, as the game is shorter, faster, and more intense by its design. [The game plays on average in 20-30 minutes, not 5-10 minutes.]

And, for those who don't have a deep experience with Space Cadets: Dice Duel, I can tell you *categorically* that a team that is experienced and works together well will beat a "lucky" team every every time! So, dice-luck does not come into play in a large way with this game, once you know how to play it well.

Some of the critcisms in this thread, BTW, are hilarious

boardgamegeek.com/thread/1086782/a-dice-game-gone-wrong

More
15 Feb 2014 18:43 #171973 by DukeofChutney
its a shame. The attitude in that thread really kills bgg as a website. You can get elements of a good community in some threads, but then just read any thread on poker and read all the tards wading to explain why its a completely random game with no strategy or merit and anyone who says otherwise must have a low IQ.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, Black Barney

More
16 Feb 2014 10:49 - 16 Feb 2014 10:50 #171996 by engineer Al

engelstein wrote: We actually sold out to Al and Dan for a bottle of cheap tequila.

Cheap? CHEAP?!?! That stuff was imported! "Hecho en Mexico", baby!
Last edit: 16 Feb 2014 10:50 by engineer Al.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engelstein, Saul Goodman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds