October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Complaints About Language In Reviews

More
24 Feb 2014 23:18 #172422 by Schweig!

Black Barney wrote: In a "news story" that I find sort of relevant to the recent discussion, Paula Deen got a standing-O at a recent public appearance

How is this a headline CNN story??!

It was only several hundred people and it was in Florida of all places.

Anyway, I think its funny because its newsworthy for some reason, and because it shows there will be an audience for people regardless of what they say or the words they use

Who is Paula Deen?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Feb 2014 23:33 #172424 by OldHippy

Schweig! wrote: Who is Paula Deen?

A really shitty cook.

But a pretty good racist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, Msample, Black Barney, SuperflyPete, SaMoKo, wadenels

More
25 Feb 2014 00:24 #172425 by daveroswell

JonJacob wrote:

Schweig! wrote: Who is Paula Deen?

A really shitty cook.

You could have said a crappy cook; it is more politically correct. Like I give a shit.

More
25 Feb 2014 07:53 #172448 by Schweig!

JonJacob wrote: A really shitty cook.

I guess it's hard to be a racist and a good cook.

More
25 Feb 2014 08:38 #172452 by SuperflyPete
Just go to any restaurant in Mexico. Most of the people down there that I've met are all racist, so by extension, I reckon they're racist by default and the restaurants I've eaten at are wonderful, so they cook well too.

The difference is that in Mexico, while everyone is a racist, they are all quite happy to admit it and not a single fuck was given by anyone else. Very liberated place.

More
25 Feb 2014 08:53 #172454 by Black Barney
I especially like how they liberate heads from bodies. My country doesn't put out travel advisories often but there are two different advisories out on Mexico right now. Recommending against non-essential travel and the like. Too many dead Canadians.

Anyway, I'm sure the restaurants are great.

More
25 Feb 2014 09:42 #172457 by SuperflyPete
I was there from Wednesday through Friday. I used to go down once a month. It's a matter of perspective.

See, if you go to Juarez, Nvo Laredo, Reynosa, Matamoros, or Mexico City, you're going to have some crime and cartel activity. If you go to Guadalajara, Tijuana (not the shitty parts), Monterrey, or the resorts, you'll be fine. Cartels aren't stupid - you don't kill your customers.

That said, the police station a block from my boss's hotel got attacked by a hand grenade on his last trip, in what is normally a safe area.

The analogy I use is that in Detroit, someone will kill you for your shoes, in Mexico, they'll kill you for the laces alone. I'm OK with that. Where I grew up, it might've been considered a 3rd world country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2014 11:23 - 25 Feb 2014 11:44 #172473 by Schweig!

SuperflyTNT wrote: Just go to any restaurant in Mexico. Most of the people down there that I've met are all racist, so by extension, I reckon they're racist by default and the restaurants I've eaten at are wonderful, so they cook well too.

The difference is that in Mexico, while everyone is a racist, they are all quite happy to admit it and not a single fuck was given by anyone else. Very liberated place.

Are you Mexican or how did you manage to regularly dine in racist Mexican restaurants? When I said racist above that was in reference to rejecting other cultures*. Y'know like not using certain ingredients/recipes (=worse cooking) or not letting foreigners eat at their restaurant (=less income =worse cooking).

Also "Most of the people down there that I've met are all racist" raises two questions:

a) Is that like saying: "60% of the time, Mexicans are racist every time"?
b) How do you manage to meet that many racists? I've been to other countries, but some guy openly acting racist has been pretty rare. I guess people don't act racist toward me because I tend to act politely (and not use foul language). ;)

Maybe Mexicans make fun of fat, white American tourists (not saying that you are), but that isn't really racism. Racism is more like attributing negative stereotypes to a superficially defined group of people. Y'know, like saying all Mexicans are racists.

*) Races don't exist really. We're all African apes.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2014 11:44 by Schweig!.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
25 Feb 2014 12:19 #172480 by ThirstyMan
I'm not. I'm a superhuman overlord.

More
25 Feb 2014 13:34 - 25 Feb 2014 13:41 #172489 by SuperflyPete

Schweig! wrote: Are you Mexican or how did you manage to regularly dine in racist Mexican restaurants? When I said racist above that was in reference to rejecting other cultures*. Y'know like not using certain ingredients/recipes (=worse cooking) or not letting foreigners eat at their restaurant (=less income =worse cooking).

I'm not Mexican. (I'm also not very fat, but thanks for depicting me as Pedro Gordo, my wife got a laugh). When I go to Mexico, I walk around everywhere. I check the wine stores and do tastings, I check the art studios, and I eat in all kinds of restaurants. I've been travelling regularly to Mexico for maybe 15 years, and I know a great many people there. I have many very dear friends there and we've discussed how uptight us gringos are in the USA.

What it comes down to is that in the US, you have "Californians, Southerners, Northerners" and then clear-cut racial divides. It's pretty obvious. Down in Mexico you have unique groups of people as well, but within "Mexican" there's "Negro, Mulato, El Espanol, Indio". Each makes fun of the other groups, and themselves, as a "race", so to speak. But the difference between there and here is that down there, it's accepted to a great degree. For instance, here, the joke is that "the definition of "nigger" is the black gentleman who just left the room" where down there, they call each other racist names all the time and have a good laugh, both of them. Here, people hide their racism and laugh between friends, but telling a racist joke in public while sitting at a dinner table at a restaurant is not off-limits.

It's just a different culture. Of all the people who are the most made fun of, without a doubt, it's the gringos. And if you go down there with a US attitude, you'd be pissed off all the time. I can't tell you how many times I've been called a pinche gringo, or "white servant", for lack of better translation. It's just the nature of things there. I always respond that when asking for something in Mexico, esperamos que manana, manana, manana. (expect it tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow). It implies laziness, which is the stereotype. All in good fun, we all have a laugh.

The one thing I should note is that it's not just racist...the entire country is made up of a half continent of smart-asses. It's making fun of everything - clothes, feet, breath, whatever. The only thing that is off limits down there is food - you don't make fun of food. That's some serious shit ... you're not a real Mexicano unless you try the frijoles y tortillas wherever you go.

Also "Most of the people down there that I've met are all racist" raises two questions:

a) Is that like saying: "60% of the time, Mexicans are racist every time"?
b) How do you manage to meet that many racists? I've been to other countries, but some guy openly acting racist has been pretty rare. I guess people don't act racist toward me because I tend to act politely (and not use foul language). ;)

Pinche German... :)

Mexico is just a very different place, culturally. Doing business there is harder than in China, even, if you can believe that. It's a wonderful place with many great values, but the bottom line is that they just don't take themselves or "things" so seriously as many other places, especially the USA. The magic is that I speak pretty decent Spanish and I'm always with the local salespeople that work for me, so I'm kind of "parte de la familia" when I'm there - people speak freely around me because I speak freely around them. I'm just not much for bullshit and politics or time-wasting, and down there, that's a good thing when trying to transact business. Hell, I think that's anywhere.

Maybe Mexicans make fun of fat, white American tourists (not saying that you are), but that isn't really racism. Racism is more like attributing negative stereotypes to a superficially defined group of people. Y'know, like saying all Mexicans are.

No, as noted above, it's a free for all. Gringos are always the butt of the jokes when around, which is fine, but at the end of the day, everyone is always messing with everyone. The only word I can use is "friendly", I guess, but that's not really the right word. They just happen to be "friendly" in a way that includes making fun of everyone, everything, and racist...but not in a "I'll never hire a mulato" way, it's more like a "hey, you indian asshole, get over here" kind of way. It's not discrimination as much as using racial slurs.

So I guess racist isn't really the word...that's my gringo brain's only easy way to say it...down there it's just that using racial slurs, but without real malice, is commonplace. I think it's very loaded here - Mexico abolished slavery long before we did, and there's no real 'discrimination' down there as far as I've witnessed. Here, there's still a lot of anger and vitriol between the races, which is funny because black dudes talk about slavery still while Chinese, who had pretty much just as rough a time, don't seem to look back on the railroad slave days and hold the grudge. Very odd.

I guess I just tend to notice things more than some, and as I said before, I analyze people and cultural things to kind of understand things better. Get the motivations understood so that I can interact with them better. Just my 2c on all of this; a shame we don't have some Mexican members at F:AT so they could explain the culture better than I can.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2014 13:41 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.150 seconds