October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Complaints About Language In Reviews

More
25 Feb 2014 13:41 - 25 Feb 2014 13:44 #172491 by Black Barney
as is diarrhea

edit: dammit, this would have been much funnier had it been directly after Pete's last post and not starting a new page. Now everyone will have to look at this until another page starts.

Speaking of which, this thread is getting a little long in the tooth

edit #2: dammit! Pete edited his post so now my post makes zero sense. He originally ended it by saying, "racial slurs in Mexico is commonplace"

There, see how funny my post was supposed to be? :(
Last edit: 25 Feb 2014 13:44 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2014 14:03 #172495 by Cranberries

More
25 Feb 2014 14:09 #172497 by SuperflyPete
You know you're in America when it's less offensive to call someone a Nazi than a "wetback".

*SMH*

Craniac, my philosophy only extends to realms where no other person is harmed by your pursuit of life, liberty, and happiness. I assumed that was understood, but I guess my estimation of the intelligence of the F:AT community was inaccurate.

More
25 Feb 2014 14:51 #172501 by Black Barney
but it IS more offensive being called a wetback than a Nazi. You're with a Nazi or you aren't. If you are, you won't take offence "hehe, you got me there. i want to see the world burn" or you aren't, "what? I'm not a nazi, you're an idiot"

but a wetback... that would always be offensive

More
25 Feb 2014 15:49 #172504 by Schweig!
I think the strife for "fun time all the time" is quite silly myself, but I wouldn't really equate it with Nazism.

@Pete: The racism you encountered in Mexico is probably like the "racism" between Italian and Irish Americans or between Prussians and Bavarians in Germany. I.e. meaningless. Since slavery and segregation ended much earlier in Mexico, a term like "nigger" obviously doesn't carry the same weight there as in the American culture. If all racism was down to making light-hearted fun of superficial differences, I don't think it would be much of a problem. But it's obviously still a problem, not due to people like you or the people you met in Mexico, but due to those who really believe races were fundamentally different and readily discriminate along those lines.

More
25 Feb 2014 16:03 #172506 by Black Barney
I don't know how you guys can write n-bombs so easily. I can't bring myself to write it, ever. I can sing cunt-this and cunt-that until the cows come home but i've never been able to write out the n-word. I wonder if that's part of the interview process if you want to work at a Paula Dean's Kitchen. Speaking of which, how the hell does a restaurant named after a famous cook serve a breakfast buffet?? When I think of high profile cooks, I don't think of hotel-lobby quality breakfasts.

A book I read in junior high had as the title, "Ni**er" but with no asterixes. It's a great book about a black comedian and what he went through. Very good book (similar to Black Like Me but not as great). Anyway, I talk about that book sometimes even today but when people want to know about it, I can't even bring myself to give them the name of the book. "what's the title? I want to look it up." "um.... you know. It's that word."

Anyway, more power to you guys for being able to write it I guess. I just can't do it. It's like not being able to click on a free pr0n video who's title is "foot worship", I just can't do it.

More
25 Feb 2014 16:10 #172507 by Schweig!

ThirstyMan wrote: I'm not. I'm a superhuman overlord.

I guess those superhuman abilities are put to a worthy cause tricking Sharia law customs officers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
25 Feb 2014 16:17 #172508 by Schweig!

Black Barney wrote: I don't know how you guys can write n-bombs so easily. I can't bring myself to write it, ever. I can sing cunt-this and cunt-that until the cows come home but i've never been able to write out the n-word.

I can write the word "nigger" because I only use it to talk about the word itself. I'm not directing it towards anyone as an insult or to describe somebody. I mean when you write "n-word" or "Ni**er", we know exactly what word you are talking about. So in a discussion about the word itself, I don't understand why it should be censored. Unless of course this is so much of a taboo in the USA that one can't even mention it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
More
25 Feb 2014 16:51 #172512 by SuperflyPete
I think it's a repugnant word, but there's really no substitute when talking about it. I can't stand when my friends use it as if it's some codeword that only the cool kids get to use because it refers to themselves. Calling myself a "cracker" is no analog. On one hand, it's like "Don't say that! It's taboo!" while on the other, virtually any song written in an entire genre of music today includes it 10,000 times. It's truly mind-boggling.

That said, I use it only when referring to it. Not "clinically" but when describing it or its use. I think it's retarded to say N-word or use the asterik out because, as Simon pointed out, it's redundant since everyone knows precisely what is in between the asteriks. I suppose you could write "that one very offensive word that white people use as a pejorative and that black people, the subject of the word, use as both a perjorative or as an analog of 'dude', 'bro' or other adjective or noun" but that's writing a lot of bullshit when referring to a one-word-word that is universally recognized, has a very specific meaning and connotation, and is only offensive when SOME people say it. The really odd point is that you don't hear other, equally offensive, words used in its place by black folks (at least that I've ever heard), and there are a sea of them, sadly.

That's my take.

Back to Simon's point, yeah, it's the "mick" and "wop" thing, basically, except without the vitriol. It's not malicious as far as I can tell. It's like a black dude using the "word that cannot be spoken whose taboo status gives it all its power" to one another, or if one of my black friends called me a "cracker", "honkey", "white boy", et C. It's friendly. I do believe that it's a matter that it is so utterly ubiquitous that these words lose all their power and aren't taken as an offense as much as simply an word that identifies them. I could be full of shit, too. All I know is that it's endemic in Mexico and nobody seems to give a fuck.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds