October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Goodbye Robin

More
12 Aug 2014 04:18 #184634 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
I agree that for films he could be particularly great with drama. His movie career sure wasn't consistent, but most of the misses were things that tried to be more comedic or family oriented. I grew up watching him on Happy Days and Mork & Mindy, and remember many incredible ad libbed performances on comedy specials and Johnny Carson and Letterman and such. He had this crazy energy and ability to riff on things that was almost unmatched, really.

Fisher King is another great film that his performance elevated. Death to Smoochy, too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 05:56 #184635 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
He was great in stand-up and a great guest on talk shows - always watched his interviews because he was funny, intelligent, unpredictable. Will miss seeing him on TV, for sure.

More
12 Aug 2014 11:57 #184664 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
It just dawned on me: Robin Williams starred in a movie What Dreams May Come. Williams' character dies and attempts to save his wife from her self imposed hell she created by committing suicide. Not a good movie, but just seems very ironic and prophetic right now. Personally, his early stand up, The Fisher King and Good Will Hunting stand out as his greatest work.

Now, the media feeding frenzy is starting. Truly sad.

More
12 Aug 2014 12:01 #184666 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
Yeah. it's a good day to avoid CNN.

I forgot about Good Will Hunting. I want to rewatch the scene where he slams Jason Bourne into the wall saying that he will end him if he disrespects his wife again. Man, can that guy ever do some convincing drama.

I was going to mention One Hour Photo but got beaten to it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
12 Aug 2014 12:19 #184670 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Goodbye Robin

Gary Sax wrote: I think my problem from a legacy standpoint is I only saw him in movies. I really did not like the film performances I saw with him. On the other hand, everyone I talk to says his stand up is excellent.

I never liked his comedies, but I did enjoy his few serious roles. One Hour Photo and Insomnia were good, and I even liked Moscow on the Hudson. His performance in Awakenings was remarkably restrained, as he played it completely straight and let De Niro steal every scene.

More
12 Aug 2014 12:47 #184680 by Grudunza
Replied by Grudunza on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
He was also in a pretty interesting movie a few years back called Final Cut, where he played a guy who takes recorded images from people's lives (recorded via a device in their brains) and edits them together into a final "movie" to be played at their funerals.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
12 Aug 2014 13:13 #184683 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
He was a bit underrated as an actor, as many of you have mentioned he could do drama quite well.

I actually liked What Dreams May Come. Fisher King was great too. Hook. Patch Adams. Aladdin. Good Morning Vietnam. Some great stuff.

Bangarang Ruffio.

More
12 Aug 2014 14:40 #184701 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re: Goodbye Robin

charlest wrote: He was a bit underrated as an actor, as many of you have mentioned he could do drama quite well.

I actually liked What Dreams May Come. Fisher King was great too. Hook. Patch Adams. Aladdin. Good Morning Vietnam. Some great stuff.

Bangarang Ruffio.

I really WANTED to like What Dreams May Come. The problems weren't so much with the acting, more with the overly preachy writing. Great concept, just not as well executed as I would have hoped.

More
12 Aug 2014 14:44 #184703 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: Goodbye Robin

daveroswell wrote:

charlest wrote: He was a bit underrated as an actor, as many of you have mentioned he could do drama quite well.

Bangarang Ruffio.

I really WANTED to like What Dreams May Come. The problems weren't so much with the acting, more with the overly preachy writing. Great concept, just not as well executed as I would have hoped.

You're right about that. I think it was a bit off-the-wall and unique yet took itself seriously and that's a weird combination that stood out to me.

More
12 Aug 2014 14:53 #184708 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Goodbye Robin
Another odd thing about What Dreams May Come: it's based on a book by Richard Matheson, the same writer who did great stories like Hell House and I Am Legend.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds