October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2694 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

What's your reading habit at The Fort?

More
05 Nov 2014 15:40 #190039 by Mr. White
It has seemed to me for a while now that threads in the forums can stay alive for days or weeks at a time with a lot of back and forth.

However, I fee like all the front page articles get discussions in the day the article hits, then any comments dry up to a trickle afterward.

I've noticed this a lot in the past with the Barnestorming feature, but it seems to happen to most all articles.

So, how do y'all consume data at The Fort? Mainly use a saved link straight into the forums? Stop off on the home page first before coming in? What?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2014 16:33 #190045 by jeb
I use Trash Talk almost to exclusion, but I always come in through the front door. I don't really like the commenting system on articles/blogs in general, and I think the discussions there aren't as in depth.

Mostly I log in, head to TT, and start clicking the "new" tag to get to where I have missed out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, SuperflyPete

More
05 Nov 2014 16:46 #190047 by Black Barney
Always start with home page to see last five comments to articles that gauge what's new or hot. Then trash talk.

More
05 Nov 2014 16:50 #190049 by metalface13

jeb wrote: I use Trash Talk almost to exclusion, but I always come in through the front door. I don't really like the commenting system on articles/blogs in general, and I think the discussions there aren't as in depth.

Mostly I log in, head to TT, and start clicking the "new" tag to get to where I have missed out.

Ditto.

More
05 Nov 2014 16:52 #190050 by wadenels
I always come in through http://fortressat.com/forum/recent because that's where I end up when I click the Trash Talk link and it's where Chrome points me when I type 'f' in the address bar nowadays. This means I'm usually active in active threads, and inactive in inactive threads. It also means it's hard for me to find old posts when I want to revive something. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting relevant results through the search box.

When I get here I click all the little green 'New' buttons next to forum posts to read what I haven't read. It bugs me if I navigate to the forum page(s) accidentally because it clears out all the 'New' buttons and it's like losing my place in a book.

I usually see new blog or front page posts through the horizontally scrolling bar above the forum index, but I also subscribe via RSS so if I don't get a chance to check in for a while I can catch up later. I would stay more active in the articles if they showed up with a little 'New' that let me know they were still alive. Since I don't visit through the front (or back) page much I don't see the latest comments thing that Barney uses very often.

More
05 Nov 2014 17:10 #190054 by jeb

wadenels wrote: I always come in through http://fortressat.com/forum/recent because that's where I end up when I click the Trash Talk link and it's where Chrome points me when I type 'f' in the address bar nowadays. This means I'm usually active in active threads, and inactive in inactive threads. It also means it's hard for me to find old posts when I want to revive something. Maybe it's just me, but I have a hard time getting relevant results through the search box.

I find the best way to search Trash Talk is to use Google and include site:fortressat.com in the query. If I wanted to revive the old F:AT TITAN thread I would do something like this:

TITAN acts site:fortressat.com

More
05 Nov 2014 17:13 #190056 by Erik Twice
I just hit the recent button and ocasionally hit an article if the title catches my eye.

More
05 Nov 2014 17:31 #190060 by repoman
I usually just read and reread whatever I've recently wrote. Then I go to the Trash Talk page and look up top to see how many hits the stuff I've written has gotten then I randomly determine a thread to comment on so I'll have some new stuff of mine to read.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, wadenels

More
05 Nov 2014 22:38 - 05 Nov 2014 22:42 #190072 by ubarose
I always start on the Back Page. It has the 10 most recent comments, Trash Talk posts and articles. I read or at least skim through almost everything eventually. I also subscribe to a couple of the feeds, but that's mostly just to keep an eye on things in case things start going sideways. If the inbox the feeds gets a pile 'o emails it means either something is hot, or things have gotten nasty.

The Advanced Forum Search is the best way to search the forum. The search box searches the entire site.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2014 22:42 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
05 Nov 2014 23:59 #190076 by Disgustipater

Erik Twice wrote: I just hit bookmark the recent button and ocasionally hit an article if the title catches my eye.

Same here.

More
06 Nov 2014 03:57 #190080 by jur
The great advantage of the forum over the article/blog comments is that you can set notifications. It is a pain going back occassionally to a blog to find nobody has commented, or commented a long time ago.

More
06 Nov 2014 19:16 - 06 Nov 2014 19:21 #190137 by Colorcrayons
To see if folks are talking about interesting AT titles. Not many of those nowadays though, as Barnes as turned this into a euro rubber fetish site. ;)

About the only thing missing to complete the image, is a closing statement at the end of his reviews saying:

"Now ist der time und Sprockets ven ve dance."

Last edit: 06 Nov 2014 19:21 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds