October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Looking for a new (review) home, suggestions/advice?

More
09 Dec 2014 13:48 #192229 by charlest
The owner of 2d6.org decided he's lost all interest in maintaining the site so I'm basically out in the cold. Very shitty time for this to happen as I have review copies on the way and trying to find a new place to host my content.

The purpose of this post is to see if anyone on FAT has any suggestions or know of any sites looking for additional contributors?

I've contacted SUSD and Rock, Paper, Shotgun but not holding out much hope for those.

"Why not post to FAT?"

Trying to head this one off. I've been around these forums for a year, been a lurker on the main page for far longer, but I've never submitted anything for the main page (I did cross-post my reviews to the Members blog section for awhile). It seems to me FAT is more of a conglomeration of writers for other sites that also post stuff here. It doesn't feel like there's an actual staff here from what I'm sensing. Also seeing the frequency of front page content here and the proliference of weekly submissions doesn't really fit what I need, as typically I post more than 4 reviews a month.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Dec 2014 14:03 #192230 by Michael Barnes
You need to be on staff here. We do have regular staff, but most are irregular. I'd love for you to post a regular weekly feature on our front page.

/vouching
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
09 Dec 2014 14:14 #192231 by charlest
Funny, didn't even realize that you had to be a staff member. Thought people just submitted articles and they were posted. Appreciate you vouching for me. Hmmm...

More
09 Dec 2014 14:20 #192232 by Shellhead
Phrasing. I think that Barnes means that he would like for you to be on staff and for you to contribute a weekly review feature. There is a process for just posting a one-off article or review, and I regret not using it for a couple of my past reviews that sparked a fair amount of discussion.

More
09 Dec 2014 14:21 - 09 Dec 2014 14:35 #192233 by Mr. White
Who's still on staff?

I enjoy Nate's articles. Thrower's as well, but he seems to have wandered off. I'm assuming Ken hit burnout.

Man, we should give Weeks a weekly (ha!) column.

I'd also like to see one from Legomancer (maybe a link to his blog if need be?) on nerd/game culture, a feature on minis games from Von Tush, Bull could provide 'this week in pro-wrestling' updates, get KingPut back more frequently providing wargame talk along with Sag and Dukeofchutney...we could get this site humming.
Last edit: 09 Dec 2014 14:35 by Mr. White.

More
09 Dec 2014 14:24 #192234 by charlest

Shellhead wrote: Phrasing. I think that Barnes means that he would like for you to be on staff and for you to contribute a weekly review feature. There is a process for just posting a one-off article or review, and I regret not using it for a couple of my past reviews that sparked a fair amount of discussion.

Oh, that makes sense. Sometimes I can be a bit dense.

More
09 Dec 2014 14:57 #192237 by Michael Barnes
We do have actual staff. Shellie really keeps the lights on and does any the work. Me, Thrower and Nate are really the main front pagers. Loter was staff but he's at large. Ken B. will be back again someday.

Like most not-professiional sites, we don't have a firm editorial group or anything like that. But we do have official show runners so to speak. And yes, I would like Charlie to be one of them.

I would put a weekly Steve Weeks column/podcast on here in a heartbeat if it were up to me alone.

More
09 Dec 2014 15:34 - 09 Dec 2014 15:35 #192242 by scissors
As a reader, I think it would be great if Charlie had a reg. column here. Steve Weeks 2.0 / Reloaded / unleashed / Cage Match would be great just for the Texas Radio Voice and music. but how to keep it from going to his head and his twisting it into something else ;) ? it would have to be a part of the site accessible through a password. The Dice Lounge at F:at so to speak. Or yeah, just a link to somewhere else ;)
Last edit: 09 Dec 2014 15:35 by scissors.

More
10 Dec 2014 19:28 #192397 by DukeofChutney
I'd approve of a Charlest column, even if it were only temporary until you found somewhere else.

only other ideas are; Quartertoothree. Actually that's all i got. The only others i can think of are popular videogame websites, and they are mostly a closed circuit. They do sometimes take applications but a lot of their writers are friends of friends.

More
10 Dec 2014 20:57 #192401 by Sagrilarus
You'd get to be a marquis guy here and set your own agenda and scheduling.

I'd like to publish more, but I don't have as much time as I used to and frankly I'm out of ideas. I hate to publish lackluster stuff just to fill a box. Lately I've been going with blog posts instead which I figure can be a little shorter and less polished.

S.

More
10 Dec 2014 23:15 #192407 by charlest
I followed through and contacted Shellie.

Keep contributing Sag, I enjoy your posts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
11 Dec 2014 14:41 #192478 by ubarose
Burn-out and life changes have our staff pretty hard. If anyone else wants to pitch me a column PM me. Also, I need help with the news, since Flim Flam keeps having babies.

More
11 Dec 2014 15:56 #192490 by Josh Look
I'd like to see the Five Second approach to board game reviews. I could try my hand at that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, DukeofChutney

More
12 Dec 2014 00:11 #192529 by ubarose
I'd love five second reviews of board games. Submit them.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds