October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2700 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Value-add to faith

More
29 Dec 2014 08:39 - 29 Dec 2014 08:42 #193469 by Black Barney
Had a nice visit with my uncle yesterday who wanted to check up on me on how I'm handing this utterly heart-breaking process of divorce. I find I'm feeling the same type of feelings I think I'd feel if my wife had passed away. Just a total feeling of utter and complete loss. We had nine years together, and after only 2-3 months of no longer being together, she's already in a new relationship and it's tearing me to pieces.

Just had my 3-yr old, Emily, jump on my lap as I'm typing this, thank Christ I still have her at least.

Speaking of which, I can now completely understand why so many people find Jesus and their faith in times of personal tragedy. It must be enormously comforting to seek solace in prayer and to have total faith and conviction that someone is looking out for you and that's all part of a plan and such. I was raised Catholic, went to church growing up, lost my religion later in life, didn't get married in a Church, didn't have Emily baptized or anything. I sort of became a non-practicing atheist I suppose.

I'm not going to rediscover my religion or anything (I've started smoking again as a temporary crutch) but I had an epiphany these past couple days. For the first time in many years, I don't think any less of devout people, rather I find I'm profoundly envious of them.

Just wanted to share knowing I have friends here and fellow FATties have been through this recently as well. I love you guys.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 08:42 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Dr. Mabuse, Hatchling, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Dec 2014 09:02 - 29 Dec 2014 09:07 #193470 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I've got a little religion and not sure if it'll mean anything to you, but you and your daughter are in my prayers.

Ha! Guess i'll be Subotai to your Conan...execept I wont cry, but pray since you won't.

(Actually your post did make me start to tear up a little. Not sure a forum post has ever done that.)

I haven't been through his trial, but I'm sure better days are ahead for you. Hang in there, brother.
Last edit: 29 Dec 2014 09:07 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 09:19 #193472 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I feel for you. The dating thing is rough. My ex-wife immediately started dating someone as soon as we split (makes sense, final straw was phone sex), which was hard for me at the time. Obviously, long run, it doesn't matter. But it gives the whole thing a grim sense of finality. You aren't getting back together and this makes it abundantly clear.

Besides the faith part you touched on, I think the other thing that something like religion does in a more practical fashion is connect you to a network of people. Which is kind of vital to do again after a divorce. I'm not religious myself so I simply couldn't do it, but the community aspect of religion was pretty appealing to me post divorce.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 09:55 #193479 by bomber
Replied by bomber on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I had a common law wife for 19 years before finally fucking it all up good and proper. I had quite a few sessions with therapists about a lot of things but we talked quite a lot about how losing a long term partner in a way that doesn't include keeping in touch is basically like having them die, and that fucking sucks. When it's primarily your fault it all went to shit (at least, what brought it all to a head, way too late), that just makes it more shit. Counting myself incredibly lucky that I quickly found the one I should have been with the whole time and had just enough time to settle down and even cranked out a couple of kids while moving to a new country and learning a new culture and language as a 40 year old. Pretty damn tough, but with a great ending. It's never too late.

More
29 Dec 2014 10:13 #193482 by stormseeker75
Stay strong Barney. I'm dealing with it too. It sucks. The good news is you will live and you will come out stronger. Hold on to your little girl. She will need your love.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Hatchling, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 10:26 #193484 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic Re: Value-add to faith
It DOES get easier ... just not any time soon. I just realized yesterday that last week WOULD have been my 20-year anniversary had my first wife and I stayed married. That's totally weird to even think about. I'm happily remarried now (and I chose MUCH better the second time around), and my first marriage all seems like a bad dream that I barely remember or even think about. BUT ... it takes time to get there. Hang in there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 10:26 #193485 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Value-add to faith
My dad died six years ago. The next several months were really tough. I caught the flu twice and the common cold four times within seven months. I nearly got fired over a misunderstanding at work. And then my girlfriend's cat died. An old friend talked me into going to church and even sent me a nice bible. I went to church nearly every Sunday for a year. It was somewhat comforting, and changed me from a total atheist to more of an agnostic.

Since then, I have actually drifted even closer towards believing in God. However, the prospect of the existence of God doesn't fill me with happiness. Instead, I am bitter and angry about the idea of a supreme being who allows so much suffering in our world. What I went through was rough, but normal enough. But there are so many other people struggling through miserable lives, and it's horrible when innocent children are suffering like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 10:54 #193488 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I know you're in a bad place now, Barney. Make sure to hang out with your friends as much as you can, or get some if you don't have any. Things will get better at some point.

One does not simply walk out of Mordor.

More
29 Dec 2014 11:04 #193492 by Green Lantern

Shellhead wrote: Since then, I have actually drifted even closer towards believing in God. However, the prospect of the existence of God doesn't fill me with happiness. Instead, I am bitter and angry about the idea of a supreme being who allows so much suffering in our world.

Free will and faith, man. We have free will and without that faith could never be tested.

Barney - sorry to hear you are going through such a rough patch, but like Mr. White, I'll be praying for you and the family.

More
29 Dec 2014 11:06 #193493 by airmarkus
Replied by airmarkus on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I feel for you Barney as I've been there too. Time does make things better, but you'll probably get tired of hearing that. I know I always thought I wanted to feel better right then and not wait. When it happened to me, my mother had passed earlier in the year, my brother was a drunk and homeless and I was going through a depression. That was when my wife decided to start sleeping with a guy we both worked with and left. A couple months later the divorce was final and child support was determined so of course I lost my job of ten years like 3 days later after. I lived out in the middle of nowhere and had no family or support system and I found myself trying to learn how to take care of my 4 year old boy in the mental state I was in. Those were dark times and I was in a bad place. My son kept me going. Believe it or not, discovering the board gaming hobby a few years later probably saved me from the rest of myself. Mostly it was finally being around other people I could relate to.

I totally get what you mean about being envious of people's faith. Over the years I've seen my fair share of people trying to convince those of faith that their faith is misguided or a waste of time and I just don't understand that mentality. Religion and faith means a lot of different things to people, including comfort and I just hate to see someone trying to take that away from another. I'm not religious really. Myself, I've come to terms with the fact that I believe in God, but the rest of the stuff is questionable to me.

Anyway, try to be around people that care about you and don't spend inordinate amounts of time alone. If you need to talk, let it fly man, it's good to get that stuff out of your head. I'll be thinking about you and hope things get better sooner rather than later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 11:30 #193495 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Value-add to faith
Yes, Barney, bad place to be.

10 years ago my recent ex (less than 2 wks separation) decided to move in next to me and start to date the entire male population of Kuwait (or at least it seemed that way to me). To cap it all she 'accidently' sent me an email, meant for one of her boyfriends, asking if it was OK to give him a blow job in the shopping mall when she saw him!!! That was really bad.

She tried her best to make friends with me but it didn't really work. I went and found a nice Russian girl who was non too impressed that the ex wife lived next to me!! Worse, she would get drunk, fuck someone and then come over to talk to me, her best friend, about her problems with alcohol and relationships.

Eventually, after she remarried (still living next to me) I had an argument about child support with her (too boring to go into). Her response was to ban the two girls from ever seeing me, instruct her maid never to take the girls round and eventually leave Kuwait, with the girls to Shanghai, without a word. Only one of the sisters deems to talk to me now after both of them being banned by their Mum from any communication with me for 9 years.

Basically, don't let it degenerate to those ridiculous heights of absurdness. Make friends, as others have said, use your family for support and fly to Russia!!:)

Religious faith is not in my skillset, and never will be, but faith in humanity and friends definitely is. Lean on folk, they will understand.

More
29 Dec 2014 11:32 #193496 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Re: Value-add to faith
Prayers and well wishes sent to you.

Regarding faith and religion, even the doctors of the church went through constant cycles:

>Atheism
>agnosticism
> theism
>

More
29 Dec 2014 11:58 #193498 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Value-add to faith
Oh man, Barney. I didn't know you were going through that. That really sucks and my heart goes out to you.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Black Barney

More
29 Dec 2014 12:52 #193503 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I went through a very similar break up a coule years ago, Barney. She was in a new relationshipnalmost immediately.

It felt similar. Death, and perhaps my own. Got treated for tako tsubo heart condition.

But it made it easier to deal with. If someone doesn't want you and make it that clear how much you meant to them by just going to the next guy, then the only thing to morn over is the time lost.

I'm better off for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, ThirstyMan

More
29 Dec 2014 13:27 #193504 by Gregarius
Replied by Gregarius on topic Re: Value-add to faith
I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles, Barney, but also glad to hear them in that it's great that you're willing to share with us. As you've seen, even this virtual community is full of good thoughts and support for you.

I am not a religious person. I guess, like you, I'm a "non-practicing atheist." I don't believe, but I also don't mind that others do. However, I attend church every Sunday. I go mainly because my wife wants to go. But the important thing is, I still enjoy listening to the sermons. There are always things to learn, whether it be spiritual, moral, or historical. I enjoy the company of the other people there. My lack of belief in God doesn't stop me from gaining something from the church.

I think if you can find a community that you like, even if it's through a church, you should capitalize on that. Meet new people, find support, join in something bigger than yourself. It ultimately doesn't matter what you believe, since everyone's faith is a very private thing.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds