October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Has anyone been to Sri Lanka?

More
26 Jan 2015 14:03 #196179 by Cranberries
I'm in a situation where I can fly there for $400. We're leaving tomorrow and have a guy driving us around in a van for nine days. I have been buried at work and have done no research, except to learn that there is Malaria in the north jungle, the civil war ended a few years ago, and there is a viper named after someone named Robertson that will kill you before you could get in a hand of No
Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2015 15:14 - 26 Jan 2015 15:33 #196192 by Black Barney
If you could find a flight for 100$ that flew you right into the Sun, would you be tempted to book it?

Look, it's no Hondouras or horrific location like that, but the security situation there is unpredictable so you'll have to exercise a high degree of caution. The entry restrictions just got lifted for the northern province.

Their war ended in 2009 and there has been no renewed violence* since.

*edit: I just mean terrorist violence here. Violent crime still occurs and has had a big uptick since 2011 in the northern, eastern and central areas. There's been a substantial increase in harassment and assault cases aimed at Western foreigners. Foreigners have been targeted in incidents of drink spiking, often combined with sexual assault or theft.

Petty crime such as purse snatching and pickpocketing is on the rise, especially on public transportation. Pay very close attention when your credit card is being handled. Cash transactions are being recommended.

I don't know if you have Tamil origins but if you do, it's not going to be much fun for you.

If you're travelling with your wife or girlfriend, don't let her travel alone.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2015 15:33 by Black Barney.

More
26 Jan 2015 15:38 - 26 Jan 2015 15:41 #196195 by ThirstyMan
It's fine, been there loads of times. Recommend the jungle lodge in the East of the country. You stay in huts on stilts with wild elephants and pigs rooting around. It's brilliant. Avoid the North, underdeveloped. Galle is nice but anywhere South of Columbo on the beach road is good for a beach holiday.

Be careful with the drivers that drive you everywhere. NEVER believe the guff about its an 'all in price', it isn't. You may even have to pay for the drivers accommodation and don't even think about not paying a substantial tip. We dumped our driver fairly sharpish. They will drive you to 'gem factories' because they are paid by those factory guys. It's a big rip off. My wife wondered why Jam factories make so much money that they can pay drivers to take tourists there...I gently explained Gems not Jam. In addition all the driving is a TOTAL PITA. It takes ages and you feel like you are spending half the holiday in a friggin car.

Don't listen to Barney, the security situation is a total non issue. Friends have just come back after spending the Christmas holidays there. Not an issue. Watch your purse/wallet like any big city. Stick to tourist areas and you will have zero problems.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2015 15:41 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
26 Jan 2015 15:43 #196196 by southernman
Don't pretend to be a Kiwi (for the better treatment of course), we've just spanked them in cricket ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, SuperflyPete

More
26 Jan 2015 15:50 #196198 by stormseeker75
Holy shit....it's Southernman!

More
26 Jan 2015 18:01 #196229 by Matt Thrower

Southernman wrote: Don't pretend to be a Kiwi (for the better treatment of course), we've just spanked them in cricket ...

JESUS MAN, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

(I've been to Sri Lanka and found it fine. The interior of the country is way more interesting than the coast. Unless you go into the Tamil country in the north, you won't see any evidence of violence. But you just got threadjacked massively, because Southernman.)

More
26 Jan 2015 18:31 #196231 by Michael Barnes
Barney, what are your tourist tips for the wilds of Alabama?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
27 Jan 2015 08:38 #196270 by SuperflyPete
Wear a buttplug and some bubba teeth and you'll be fine.

More
27 Jan 2015 09:34 #196285 by Black Barney

Michael Barnes wrote: Barney, what are your tourist tips for the wilds of Alabama?

Avoid Alabama from mid-May to November cuz it's hurricane season, yo

The rest of the time just wear a T-shirt that says something like how you're happy you're touring Alabama instead of Miami.

More
27 Jan 2015 09:44 #196287 by The*Mad*Gamer

Barney, what are your tourist tips for the wilds of Alabama?

This is really my area of expertise:

When traveling in Alabama you must declare if you are an Alabama or Auburn fan, the fans on your side should protect you from the opposing side.

Always drink Bud or Red Dog..You will be a target if seen drinking a fancy beer.

Do Not drink Perrier...you will be shot on sight.

Put a tin of Copenhagen chewing tobacco in back pocket of jeans , wear around a few months prior to your trip to have a nice imprint in jeans.

Brush up on your knowledge of vintage TV...Hee Haw and Gunsmoke

Always order iced tea at a restaurant, your sides should include fried okra

Say you live in a doublewide out past the county line...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds