October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The Kickstarter Effect

More
28 Feb 2015 22:08 #198560 by DukeofChutney
I don't think KS is a big deal. Pretty much any time i read or hear an opinion on KS board games , either on the recent ludology podcast, here, or any other blog its people talking about the questionable quality of the product. The true apologist of KS seems to be a myth. So that's the 'board gamers'. I am yet to meet someone who is new to the hobby who knows about the metoric importance of KS to the hobby, or even that KS is a publishing platform for board games. They don't care, they just buy games on amazon or off a shop shelf. KS is bigger deal in video gaming than board gaming. I expect there is some growth based around general internet noise on blogs and ks might bring some cross over and the pure rise in product numbers might generate more talk and thus a wider audience but it doesn't explain the apparent rise of board games. They've happened at the same time but that doesn't mean there is a direct link. I think board games have been slowly growing in popularity and exposure for the past 5 years or maybe more. I think the big change has been that the video game industry, and in particular their journalists, and their public events have adopted board games, this coupled with TV celebrities have raised the exposure far more than nerds throwing money at badly edited nerd pitches on a website. The rise in board games coincides with the social acceptability of nerd and video game culture as a whole. First consoles, then superhero movies, later crap like WoW have all moved from being stuff for self identifying nerds to being normal parts of mainstream culture even referenced in popular cartoons.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2015 11:56 #198581 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Kickstarter Effect
@Sag: No, it's not Big Mac sauce. Big Mac sauce changes the flavor profile of the sandwich profoundly. Kickstarter exclusives are much more like the Monopoly contest pieces you get when you buy a Big Mac. You might be able to trade it for value, or it might be a waste of paper, but either way, tons of people go in just to get them.

Shit, even I do, and I'm more rational than most when it comes to purchases.

More
01 Mar 2015 12:11 #198582 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The Kickstarter Effect
Very Big Grin….

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, wadenels

More
02 Mar 2015 08:10 #198604 by JEM
Replied by JEM on topic The Kickstarter Effect
I had a look back through my Kickstarter history, and it looks like there's basically one game I backed that I'm totally happy with. It's also the one I played first by making the print and play; Viticulture/Tuscany. That's not to say the other games are all shite, but honestly, some of them are (Dead Man's Draw), or I'm just "meh" about now (Yardmaster, The Agents, some other $10-$12 card games).

Some of my favourite games were published through Kickstarter originally, though, even if I bought them at retail. The lesson for me, is that it's better to wait and see, as the good games will probably sell through at retail. That's not without its downsides. I have a love/hate relationship with Dogs of War, because I bought it retail and found I was shut out of almost 50% of the available game. Still, some blank card and a sharpie with some proxy power and I can at least play with all the factions. I resent the notion of being blackmailed into backing for an exclusive, and I don't think Tuscany had exclusives because Jamie learned that lesson.

On one of the other questions, I do think that TableTop had a big impact on the hobby.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.307 seconds