October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

How is your sleep?

More
09 May 2015 14:31 #202140 by Cranberries
Do you sleep well?

I almost always get about six hours, but even when I sleep longer I feel tired all day. I've been like this for years. That is all.

Does anyone get sleep and feel rested? Ever?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2015 14:44 #202141 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic How is your sleep?
When I was working out a lot and eating well, I slept like a champ. Now, I sleep like horseshit. Need to get back to that lifestyle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
09 May 2015 14:49 #202143 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic How is your sleep?
For me, it's only about stress. I had a month or so last year where I was sleeping very poorly but for whatever reason I'm feeling less stressed now so I feel better. Strange because it's not like things are going so much better or anything at work, I just started dealing with it better or something.

More
09 May 2015 14:55 #202144 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic How is your sleep?
Let me quote Flann O'Brien;

“When a man sleeps, he is steeped and lost in a limp toneless happiness: awake he is restless, tortured by his body and the illusion of existence. Why have men spent the centuries seeking to overcome the awakened body? Put it to sleep, that is a better way. Let it serve only to turn the sleeping soul over, to change the blood-stream and thus make possible a deeper and more refined sleep.”

I undersleep and have for years. I wish I could see the world the way that Flann O'Brien does but it just isn't in the cards for me. I see sleep as a little bit of death. Time on earth that I can't account for... which inspires my undersleeping habit. I get 5-6 hours a day and maybe once every month or so sleep for like 9 hours... that's the one day I feel rested. I am constantly giving up sleep for more life and I know it hurts me. I'm in a drug haze most of the time but totally drug free usually. That's how it feels anyway. I think I'm killing myself by doing this and need to rectify it. If I wasn't so restless it could happen. I need to let go a little more. Less ambition and more sleep. Everything I've read about sleep tells me that I would be more productive and happier with the time I do have if I rested a little bit more.

I guess my answer is rarely... but the science of sleep is worth looking into. Once you understand sleep cycles and circadian rhythms better it's a little easier to make it work for you. I've attended several seminars on it due to being a shift worker and they are informative... I just need to actually do what they tell me and I'm sure I'd be better off.

More
09 May 2015 15:05 #202145 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic How is your sleep?
I sleep so well my wife threatened to divorce me once. She wouldn't have, but she hates how well I sleep. I usually fall asleep while talking to my wife at night. Will be mid sentence, and I am out. SHe hates that too.

In the military I fell asleep standing up once.

Unlike my wife, who can't sleep to save her life, I can turn off my mind at night. She'll ask, what are you thinking, and I'll reply, absolutely nothing. Zzzzzzz....

More
09 May 2015 16:10 #202147 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic How is your sleep?
Modern society generally expects an uninterrupted five to ten hours of sleep to be considered sleeping well. People become so focused on that generalization that they drink themselves to sleep or dose themselves with medications to achieve it. However, take a look at segmented sleep and studies that suggest that this isn't normal. If you consider that interrupted sleep is the norm, then you might not stress out about it when you don't achieve that mythical uninterrupted sleep that Big Pharma pushes to sell sleeping pills.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Segmented_sleep

On the other hand, if you're tired, then try to modify your diet and exercise more. I do Tai Chi in the morning and before bed along with weights and walking during the day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
09 May 2015 16:30 #202149 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic How is your sleep?
I sleep with one eye open.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, stoic

More
09 May 2015 16:32 #202150 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic How is your sleep?
Okay, actually I try to sleep as much as my body seems to need. I can live with being a little tired at the end of the day if I didn't get enough the night before. I'm rarely in a deep sleep and I almost always lucid dream.

More
09 May 2015 16:33 #202151 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic How is your sleep?
I fall asleep within 5 minutes of laying down. I usually get about 7-8 hours of sleep each night. Occasionally when I get less and feel tired, I will take a nap on my 15 minute break at work. Being able to fall asleep in a minute or two helps. I usually feel much more alert after the tiny nap. I take a nap whenever I feel tired and it works pretty well for me, although I never nap for more than 30 minutes, otherwise I feel groggy and drained

More
10 May 2015 08:24 #202183 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic How is your sleep?

stoic wrote: I do Tai Chi in the morning and before bed along with weights and walking during the day.

I kind of do the above if you change Tai Chi, weights and walking to masturbating

More
10 May 2015 08:41 #202184 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic How is your sleep?

ThirstyMan wrote:

stoic wrote: I do Tai Chi in the morning and before bed along with weights and walking during the day.

I kind of do the above if you change Tai Chi, weights and walking to masturbating

Glad to hear you have one hand on your Yin and another hand on your Yang

More
10 May 2015 22:32 #202198 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic How is your sleep?
I am a deep sleeper that can fall asleep quick and anywhere (see Chapel's post above). I was able to reduce the sleepiness through out the day at my last job by biking to work and working out once a day.

At my new job (the same place as jonjacob) shiftwork is required and, holy shit, it is messing with me a lot. Mental fatigue, and irritability have hit me big time.

Caffeine rarely works and my body clock continually wants to go to sleep at 10-11 pm, regardless if I slept through the day.

More
11 May 2015 09:27 #202206 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic How is your sleep?
Yeah, I sleep pretty good. 7 hours on average. I take trazodone to help me sleep but this is temporary until things settle down, then I'll likely go back to melatonin which I found helpful.

Fired up the air conditioning saturday night and my little girl slept 12 hours. yay

More
11 May 2015 09:58 #202210 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic How is your sleep?
I haven't slept well on a regular basis for about two years now. Two years ago, my job was at risk because our company was over-extended with debt and our revenues were significantly lower than projected. We were all doing our best, but our industry was going through a rough stretch right after we rapidly expanded. The company went under in September of 2013, but at least most of our staff landed safely at another company that was expanding at the time. Then I was unemployed for ten months, which devastated my savings. In July of 2014, I landed a new job, but it paid 25% less than my old job. My fiance graduated that same month, but hasn't found a decent entry-level job yet. She is currently working multiple jobs, none of which offer benefits or decent pay. I am stuck at my current job, unable to land a better offer despite intermittent interest from employers and recruiters.

So I toss and turn some nights, though usually getting at least four hours of solid sleep. I tried some over-the-counter stuff called Zzzquil for a whilte, but it really messed with my stomach. I don't want to mess with anything heavier, because I consider the poor sleep to be a symptom of my real problem, which is my low-paying job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
11 May 2015 10:46 #202212 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic How is your sleep?
Yeah, it's that stress shit that gets you. Modern life and all that. Sorry to hear it, that shit can drive you crazy, my dad has had some serious insomnia the last ten years ago and it has taken its toll on his mental/emotional state.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds