October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The Game Box?

More
12 Oct 2015 11:07 #212319 by airjudden
Replied by airjudden on topic The Game Box?
I don't agree. Check out this post I recently made to the Wargame forum:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1441966/mes...ountrymenlend-me-you

The problem isn't the moderator, it's the people calling them in. They are the root cause. The moderator is trying to make a judgement call based on few facts, while regulars on the forum need to lighten up. So far, the place has been more accommodating, but I still do more posting at The Game Box because of the discussion content.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2015 19:52 #212350 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic The Game Box?

airjudden wrote: I don't agree. Check out this post I recently made to the Wargame forum:

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1441966/mes...ountrymenlend-me-you

The problem isn't the moderator, it's the people calling them in. They are the root cause. The moderator is trying to make a judgement call based on few facts, while regulars on the forum need to lighten up. So far, the place has been more accommodating, but I still do more posting at The Game Box because of the discussion content.

Great post. I've been using my work breaks today to make my way through that thread. First of all, I completely agree with your "starve the beast" approach to antagonistic posts (I almost wrote "trolls" there, but I had no idea until today that that word is forbidden at BGG and I need to get into the habit of not using it). As counter-intuitive as the policy seems at first glance I also agree with BGG's no-plonking rule, and from the same longtime Usenet-poster experience that one of the wargamers mentioned in the thread.

That said, I just can't decide who is worse: the passive aggressive types who will red-X a thousand posts rather than send a single direct message to the offending party OR the actively aggressive types who never learned to play well with others. Human nature is a hell of a drug.

Completely unrelated rambling incoming.

Man, I should get back into wargames. My first game was Stalingrad, then some microgames, then non-advanced, super-basic, a-child-could-do-it Squad Leader, then glorious, wonderful Star Fleet Battles (believe me, having a gaming buddy with eidetic memory made that game easier to play), and then nothing for years and years. The closest thing to a wargame that I play now is Duel of Ages II (and it is one) and Enemy Coast Ahead. My current gaming group is mainly into AT/Euro hybrids, but there might be a couple of people I could tempt. Maybe a nice, simple game of Ogre as a gateway...
The following user(s) said Thank You: airjudden

More
12 Oct 2015 22:04 #212354 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The Game Box?
If you're a Star Fleet Battles guy take a good look at Talon: Fleet Combat in Defense of Earth from GMT. Still at prepub price. A beautifully boiled down version of the game. Energy allocation is dead simple, impulse movement. I had been on the fence but I prepubbed to get the discount. The GMT blog has been showing a run-through of the basic rules and it looks excellent.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Feelitmon

More
13 Oct 2015 02:58 #212361 by Feelitmon
Replied by Feelitmon on topic The Game Box?
Thanks for the recommendation, Sagrilarus. Talon really does look like the closest thing to SFB that my friends would actually play these days. By putting the SSDs on the counters I think the game makes it more likely that players will actually use multiple ships per engagement. Based on anecdotal evidence I would bet that at least half of the people who have played SFB only ever played a one-on-one duel with tournament cruisers. The game just got progressively more complex and lengthy with each ship and ship type that you added to a game. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of that!

I'm really curious about Talon now. I guess I'm on the fence where you were previously. I'm interested, but I want to see more. I think this is from the same fellow who did Space Empires 4X. What do you think of that one?

More
13 Oct 2015 06:58 #212362 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The Game Box?
Haven't played it.

More
13 Oct 2015 09:01 #212365 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic The Game Box?
It has a pretty good "old school" rep around here, FWIW.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds