October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Incredible Gaming Food: THE THREAD

More
29 Oct 2015 09:41 #213653 by SuperflyPete
It has occurred to me that we never talk food here. So, I figured I'd kick off this smorgasbord of delicious recipes which are specifically designed to be easy to make, easy to serve, and mostly easy to eat whilst playing games.

FALLOUT DIP:

4oz lowfat cream cheese
2 cups sharp cheddar or colby jack
3 cans of shredded, cooked chicken (12.5 oz cans)
2-4 oz Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Sauce ( www.franksredhot.com/products/buffalo-wings-sauce/ )

1. Mix chicken, cream cheese, wing sauce, and 1/2 cup of cheese in a 9" square container. Mix until "creamy looking"
2. Spread the remaining cheese on top of mixture.
3. Cook in oven @ 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted.

Serve with Fritos Scoops (ideally) or whatever chips you like. This is my "go-to" as I watch Bengals games. I call it Fallout Dip because when it's all done, it has a sort of reddish-orange glow color to it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 09:44 #213655 by Black Barney
i HATE eating while playing, i hate playing with people that eat while playing. The noise, the mess, the distraction.

No problem with drinking though. be it tea, beer, booze, anything really. I like a nice tall Tim Horton's coffee or a big fat mug of tea myself. If I go to a gaming pub (I've been to TWO in my entire life, one here in Montreal and one in London near Elephant & Castle), then I drink cider while playing.

Anyway, that dip sounds awful. The only thing that sounds good is the 2 cups of sharp cheddar or colby jack (whatever that is).
- i hate cream cheese
- i didn't even know you could get cooked chicken in a can. Sounds undelicious
- my intestines are weak to hot sauce

...so when you inviting me over for games?!

More
29 Oct 2015 10:54 #213664 by SuperflyPete
The way you've acted toward me of late, that would be "half past NEVER".

LOL

I thought this would taste nasty too but it's actually incredible. The "hot sauce" isn't hot at all, especially if you halve it to 2 oz. (just for color). The cream cheese is really more like a binding agent. I'm not a huge fan of it to begin with, like you said, but you can't taste it and its texture is very muted. It's like melted cheese.

Seriously, I didn't think I'd like it but it turned out that it was awesome, so I started making it. Really good stuff.

jet.com/product/pdp/52b5bc3ffba54898a9b8...v358gCFQEJaQodOFALqw

Really simple to make it taste awesome - I make several things with it (although I like a different brand)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Oct 2015 11:01 #213666 by the_jake_1973
That's a pretty tasty dip that gets brought to the office frequently.

When we have gaming days at my place, I will cook something. Mostly it is consumed between games as I'm making stuff like burgers, meatloaf, fried chicken, etc. Eat-along items would be my mac-n-cheese from scratch, some broccoli cheddar soup, or chili.

Recipes available upon request, but if you can make a proper white sauce (stop the jokes right there), then the mac is easy peasy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
29 Oct 2015 11:30 #213667 by Space Ghost
I would probably up the type of hot sauce to something that is both hot and tastes better. Also, would probably add cayenne pepper. And, maybe replace the chicken with crab or maybe clams

More
29 Oct 2015 14:22 #213680 by RobertB
Buffalo chicken dip is overtaking green bean casserole as the default pot luck dish. Definitely the go-to dish for Super Bowl snacking.

If you want another one for your tortilla chips:

- 1 lb. sausage.
- 2 8 oz. packages cream cheese.
- 1 10-oz can of Rotel tomatoes (in the Mexican food or canned tomato section).

Fry and drain the sausage, dump all that stuff together, and heat it up on low until the cream cheese melts. A crock pot works too. Eat it with the chips.

More
29 Oct 2015 16:48 - 29 Oct 2015 16:53 #213694 by SuperflyPete
Sounds delish, aside from the sausage. I don't do sausage unless it's made by me, deer, and a smoker.

Try this on, if you don't value the diameter of your arteries:

Roll a State Fair brand corndog (thawed) into Kroger Stadium Cheese (any beer cheese will do). Roll now-covered breaded, cheesy dog in Panko crumbs. Deep fry that bad boy, and as you bite into it after cooling, you'll have both an abject sense of shame and delight, in equal proportions.
Last edit: 29 Oct 2015 16:53 by SuperflyPete.

More
29 Oct 2015 17:18 #213699 by Michael Barnes
I heard a loud popping sound and then there was the smell of sausage in the air...I came in here to see if one of you guys might have had a heart attack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
29 Oct 2015 18:09 #213703 by Stonecutter
So I have this recipe, more or less (it also adds a little bleu cheese dressing) but for the love of god man, just boil some boneless skinless chicken breasts and then shred them. It takes 10 minutes and it saves you from ever having to buy canned chicken. Ugh.

More
29 Oct 2015 18:37 #213707 by ChristopherMD
If I do serve snacks its either cut vegetable platter or chocolate. We usually go out for dinner together.

More
29 Oct 2015 19:06 #213710 by jay718
I had some folks over for games last Saturday and grilled up chorizos, a round of burgers, then finished the night off with a batch of chicken I'd had in jerk sauce for 12 hours.

More
29 Oct 2015 19:27 #213712 by Michael Barnes
Here is my recipe for game night food:

1 bag of Flamin' Hot Cheetos
1 Pizza Hut Meat Lover's Pizza
5 Moon Pies (Original, NOT the banana ones)
1 gallon of "Mexican Restaurant" Queso
1/2 pound of bacon
1 bag of store brand tortilla chips (not those fancy ones)
1 bag of M&Ms (plain or peanut, your choice)
1 liter of Gatorade (any flavor)
1 can of Monster Energy drink (substitute Mountain Dew if necessary)
1 lb. Twinkies

Grind all dry ingredients together with a mortar and pestle. Pour in liquids. Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes. Slice and serve on Puerto Rico player mats.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
29 Oct 2015 20:16 #213718 by boothwah
My easy peasy cheat dip : canned chili and velveta goes into the crock pot. EPA air quality violations are the end result.

If we are doing a real meal I usually make Nucular Shrimp Curry (recipe available on request) or Buffalo Grilled Pork Chops and Tater Salad.

More
29 Oct 2015 22:22 #213729 by Cranberries
I just bought these thin little cake batter flavored cookies from Rite Aid called Mrs. Thinsters or something like that. Rich, sweet, amazing texture--like the crunch bits of batter that spill over onto the side of the pan. They leave no residue, so are gaming safe.

More
29 Oct 2015 22:43 #213730 by Gary Sax
My wife has been making African sweet potato cookies for game nights the last year or two.

Highly recommended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.370 seconds