October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

This Thanksgiving.....

More
05 Nov 2015 19:59 #214278 by boothwah
Every year we end up playing crap like Skip-Bo, or Balderdash, Apples to Apples with my family and in laws.

This year we are having the festivities at our house and I am currently boxing up every single freaking parlour game we own and taking it up to the attic. I'm like the Grinch of post Thanksgiving Family Gaming.

Pictionary? OH HELL NAW. Cranium GTFO? Scattergories? GET IN THE FREAKING BOX. I'm throwing Ticket to Ride and Munchkin in the box of shame too, because reasons....

This is going to be totally awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2015 21:04 #214280 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic This Thanksgiving.....
Break out Cards Against Humanity as the 'party game', and make sure the rawest cards are in the front.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
05 Nov 2015 21:32 #214284 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic This Thanksgiving.....
Break out Diplomacy or BSG and end your family.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, charlieturtle

More
06 Nov 2015 01:39 #214294 by dave
Replied by dave on topic This Thanksgiving.....
Those games you're boxing up sound pretty great to me. I'm afraid to ask what you're bringing out in their stead. If it's 7 Wonders and co-ops, prep yourself for a kick in the gizzards.

More
06 Nov 2015 08:24 #214304 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic This Thanksgiving.....
"Can we play a game we'll enjoy?"

"NO YOU'LL PLAY TITAN AND LOVE IT"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, wadenels, stoic

More
06 Nov 2015 09:01 #214310 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic This Thanksgiving.....
I played Scattergories on vacation about fifteen times. But -- I got "De Doo Doo Doo De Dah Dah Dah" on one of my answers and scored 8 points. I'll always have that to look back on.

More
06 Nov 2015 09:08 #214312 by san il defanso
I've had very limited success with hobby games and extended family. The biggest hit was Ticket To Ride, which should surprise no one. My mom also really likes Fearsome Floors, which has always amused me. My wife's family really likes Carcassonne, and Dixit is a hit with both sides.

As far as I'm concerned holidays are a good time for playing mainstream games. We use it as a time for playing Euchre and Mexican Train, as well as party games.

More
06 Nov 2015 10:54 #214326 by SebastianBludd
My family plays mostly Cribbage and Yahtzee with the nieces and nephews playing Phase 10 every once in a while. Doodle Dice is a recent addition and I like it for being a Yahtzee equivalent that younger kids can play. My in-laws play nothing, ever.

A few years ago I thought I'd shake things up so I brought Betrayal at the House on the Hill to Thanksgiving to play with the nieces and nephews. They were willing to give it a shot but it ended up being the worst game of it I've ever played. Not only did the haunt kick in early - it was something ridiculous like the third or fourth turn - but it was a bizarre haunt that was weird even by Betrayal standards: it was the haunt where the Traitor is a mad scientist that shrinks the other players and tries to kill them with his cat , all the while they're trying to find a toy airplane to escape in. I was the Traitor and since they didn't have anything for upgrades or equipment due to the haunt kicking in so early the game was over shortly thereafter.

More
06 Nov 2015 12:26 #214338 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic This Thanksgiving.....

dave wrote: Those games you're boxing up sound pretty great to me.

I'd play those with my extended family. Some of my fondest memories are of playing dominoes after Thanksgiving dinner. All the older folks would tell stories while we played. Sometimes we could get my grandmother to tell us stories about her old beaus and then get her to pull out the hat box full of all the old love letters she had saved.

More
06 Nov 2015 12:39 #214340 by ChristopherMD
Its time to move your family on to REAL board games. I recommend Puerto Rico and Goa.

More
06 Nov 2015 12:54 #214341 by boothwah
Replied by boothwah on topic This Thanksgiving.....

Mad Dog wrote: Its time to move your family on to REAL board games. I recommend Puerto Rico and Goa.

Puerto Rico is in a prominent spot on the on the games left out for perusal shelf. Hoping to get a game or two of that in. Takenoko, Tsuro, Castles of Burgundy, King of New York, Smash Up, Tortoise and the Hare (a fun little wagering race game for the kiddos), Samurai Sword, Citadels, The Resistance, We Didn't Even Playtest This at All, Love Letter ( Batman Edition), The Great Dalmuti, and Gloom and a few others I'm sure I'm forgetting are on there.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds