October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Let's Talk...Facebook

More
11 Jan 2016 22:02 #219719 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
I've quit Facebook like five times now. I'm like an alcoholic who loudly announces he is clean then wakes up in a gutter three weeks later, naked and covered with blood and chicken feathers.

1. I put more energy into doing things with people in meatspace when I am off Facebook
2. I hated having this application subject to the whims of a bunch of 20-something coder bros in charge of mediating my life
3. Once I stick stuff in there, I can never find it again, so I use pinboard.in (I use a bookmarklet)
4. Twitter seems to provide a cleaner experience with fewer stupid memes floating around. Mute is the equivalent of unfollow.
5. I have ADHD and probably Asperger's. I would get on Facebook and lose two hours of my life, every day.

This place is generally more entertaining that FB, even though I don't really know anyone.

Grudunza: I am sorry about your wife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2016 22:10 #219722 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
Generally, I've enjoyed FB quite a bit. I keep a reign on my friends. I break them up into categories, i.e. family, highschool, college, gaming, work, and just friend friends. With my family I usually just un-feed any lunatics right wingers, they are family, I can't control them and can't really unfriend them. There have only been a couple friends that I've unfriended because they ended up REALLY bad. Otherwise I enjoy reading everyone's life postings.

I usually post a lot of family pics of the kids and there growing up's, rarely any food, and the typical one liners. And I usually stay away from posting political rants.

I like hearing from my gamer circle, and usually only add them as friends if I've met them before in person in conventions, and other gaming events. I think I have a few F:AT'ers on my friends list, like Jeff.

Overall a positive experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
11 Jan 2016 22:12 #219723 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

dysjunct wrote:
I actually find Facebook messenger more useful than Facebook these days.

Oh yeah, this. I can talk to my mom overseas and my brothers across the country using Messenger, which is a huge plus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Jan 2016 02:27 #219734 by mads b.
Replied by mads b. on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
I love Facebook. Now, I also live in Denmark where most everybody has an account, so maybe that makes a difference. And I'm also a comedian, so having a profile is a great way to connect with ... well, I won't say fans (don't have those), but people I don't know who find me amusing. Some the important reasons for liking it is:

1. I get to "talk" to friends I don't see very often because of kids and lives on a daily basis. I see what they do, hear their quirky stories about everyday life, and so on. I really enjoy this.

2. I get to participate in interesting discussions. I have a lot of friends I don't know or only know from a RPG convention or so, and while I have unfollowed a lot of them, they still pop up in my feed every now and then because they comment on something a friend writes or participate in a discussion on my page. And while there is a lot of jerks online, there's also a lot of really cool and really smart people. I quess it also helps that I keep my feed diverse. I follow a lot of polititicians I don't agree with, for instance. Both because I'm interested in what they say, but also because it helps me write jokes.

3. I have a place to publish stuff I think about. I love getting out to people and facebook is a way to publish random thoughts about politics, feminism, games, and everything and actually reach an audience. The book of rhymes I published last year also started as a thing I just put on Facebook for the fun of it.

4. While nutjobs do exist, I don't get them much. I have never blocked anyone and apart from long and bizarre discussions, I've never been seriously trolled. Guess being a dude helps here, but maybe also the fact that while I do post lots of personal stuff on Facebook, I am aware that everybody can read it, so I'm rarely super private.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
12 Jan 2016 02:48 #219735 by SuperFlySwatter

mads b. wrote: I love Facebook.

I'm also a comedian,.

QFT
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, mads b.

More
12 Jan 2016 02:56 #219737 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

ubarose wrote: The quality of your experience on Facebook is dependent upon the quality of the people on your list.

All of you should be thankful that none of you are on my list. Except for craniac and Charlie. On twitter.

More
12 Jan 2016 08:51 #219745 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

Frohike wrote:

ubarose wrote: The quality of your experience on Facebook is dependent upon the quality of the people on your list.

All of you should be thankful that none of you are on my list. Except for craniac and Charlie. On twitter.

Who are you on Twitter? Twitter >> Facebook.

More
12 Jan 2016 10:17 #219754 by drewcula
Replied by drewcula on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
FB is more love than hate for me.
I'm an artist, and I've made more sales through my FB posts than I have through any gallery or gallery website. Diagnostically, my little website would be web dead if it weren't for FB.
I need to better complement my internet presence with a robust Twitter and Instagram account, but the hard truth I'm facing: there ain't enough time. Any artist will tell you that success is equal time between studio and marketing. But God Damn. Marketing is an entirely different skill set that can be a time suck if you're inept.
That mentioned, why the fuck am I procrastinating on this site when I can be making a FB post or swinging a paint brush?

'Cause I like you guys.
Feel free to friend me. Andrew Wodzianski.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy

More
12 Jan 2016 11:36 #219766 by Frohike
Replied by Frohike on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

Frohike wrote:

I exaggerate my spaminess ;)

I'm @p_bauman

More
12 Jan 2016 16:22 #219814 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

DukeofChutney wrote: i'm generally in the hater camp. I use face book since it is how much of my social life is arranged. I use its message, events and posting systems etc. But most of the people I am friended with basically use it to broadcast their superior intellect and moralist views across internets, yawn.

Isn't that more a comment on how (or why) you choose friends ? (no offence meant, just a 'think about it backwards' observation)

More
12 Jan 2016 16:24 #219815 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
From my life experience, you don't really choose your friends. you can just choose to get/make new friends.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
12 Jan 2016 16:46 #219818 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Let's Talk...Facebook

Black Barney wrote: From my life experience, you don't really choose your friends. you can just choose to get/make new friends.

I choose my friends all the time. True, sometimes they don't appreciate me being in the tree's, but it always works out.

More
12 Jan 2016 17:25 #219825 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
I'm Doc Mabuse... on Facebook.

More
12 Jan 2016 17:30 #219826 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Let's Talk...Facebook
I'm Jacob Russell on FB, I will accept friends with anyone I think I recognize.

www.facebook.com/JonJacobR

More
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds