October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

DeLentification .... What'cha giving up?

More
25 Feb 2016 11:22 #223274 by SuperflyPete
What are y'all giving up for Lent, if anything? I'm bored and couldn't come up with anything better to talk about.

I'm giving up cigs (I'm 3 days clean), among other things. But, I plan on making this permanent.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2016 11:37 #223277 by charlest
Congrats Pete on deciding to ditch the cigs.

More
25 Feb 2016 11:37 #223278 by the_jake_1973
Best of luck with the smoke free future.

More
25 Feb 2016 11:38 - 25 Feb 2016 11:52 #223279 by Mr. White
Are you not going to share the 'among other things'?

I'll play and I'm sorry if this is another woe is our health thread...

So, we recently found out that my wife's numbers on a ccp test were through the roof (hers was over 200...for reference 60+ is high) and it's extremely likely she has RA. We won't know for sure until we can meet with the rheumatologist in April. Anyway, looking back she's had signs for years but had been diagnosed as something else. Obviously, the internet hasn't been friendly in this manner as we've looked into the condition, but it appears that several people have either cleared RA out or at least send it packing into long term remission through proper dieting, regular exercise, etc. The exercise is no issue as we lead a very active lifestyle and she's a yoga fanatic. However, to be honest, her diet over the years has been terrible. Fortunately, she must have a high metabolism as she's maintained her petite, athletic build (about to turn 40).

I'm sure someone will come in here and say we need to pump up medications as a solution, but the majority of them that treat RA have heavy side effects. We're hoping that by cutting out consumption of garbage the inflammation will be cut down thus slowing or stopping the deterioration condition. We pray this works. I'm going to join her on this meal plan so she doesn't have to go it alone...plus it seems cruel to be devouring a nice slice of pizza in front of her. Anyway, this looks to be starting during the Lenten season, but it'll probably extent for life.

TL:DR - Giving up gluten, most dairy/sugars/processed foods and focusing on mainly all organic, natural, etc - I need a second job...
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 11:52 by Mr. White.

More
25 Feb 2016 11:45 #223281 by Black Barney
i'm giving up smokes this saturday. Friday will be my last smoke day I think.

It's not a Lent or religious thing tho.

Good luck Pete, let's do it together! Wanna be my sponsor? :)

More
25 Feb 2016 12:03 #223283 by jeb

SuperflyTNT wrote: What are y'all giving up for Lent, if anything? I'm bored and couldn't come up with anything better to talk about.

I'm giving up cigs (I'm 3 days clean), among other things. But, I plan on making this permanent.

Wow Pete, good luck. You too Barney, that's hard as balls.

@Mr. White, sorry to hear that daignosis. I hope you can keep it managed, that's a tough illness. FYI, I work for one of those companies with the high side-effect RA treatments. I am not recommending any course other than what makes her comfortable and happy. Keep at it.

I'm Jewish, so I will give up trying to figure out how Catholics eat pig all year long.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2016 13:21 #223289 by Mr. White
Thanks, Jeb.

I don't want to come across as some anti-vaxxer here, as we aren't. However, she also had her thyroid removed last summer, so there's a lifetime of thyroid medicine already on the docket. if there's an RA med that is light on side-effects, we're all ears. So far what we've read hasn't been super promising. Settling the pain, sure, but at a cost?

As it is, the pain has been mild. Like I said she's had these symptoms for a number of years, so who knows how long she's had it. That said looking at her hands this weekend it does look like a finger has started to turn. Funny, when this wasn't on our radar all these symptoms seemed less noticable. Out of mind I suppose.

Yeah, like I said, hopefully we can keep the inflammation down. We'll have to be diligent, but even then there is no certainty.

More
25 Feb 2016 13:22 #223290 by Sagrilarus
I gave up whiskey, then Malloc offered me some. A somewhat short Lent this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, SuperflyPete, repoman, birdman37

More
25 Feb 2016 14:00 - 25 Feb 2016 14:01 #223292 by SuperflyPete

jeb wrote: I'm Jewish, so I will give up trying to figure out how Catholics eat pig all year long.

I keep mostly Kosher too, to be fair, but I do prepare pork chops for the family on occasion because they seem to love the nasty fuckers. I prefer turkey bacon too, because turkeys don't sleep and root in shit, and are not filthy animals.

With regard to smokes, I've quit for many years at a time, several times, but this time has been really hard. Not sure why. Probably because I don't smoke weed, which is the best thing to do when quitting smoking.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 14:01 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
25 Feb 2016 14:43 - 25 Feb 2016 14:46 #223299 by Space Ghost

SuperflyTNT wrote:

jeb wrote: I'm Jewish, so I will give up trying to figure out how Catholics eat pig all year long.

I keep mostly Kosher too, to be fair, but I do prepare pork chops for the family on occasion because they seem to love the nasty fuckers. I prefer turkey bacon too, because turkeys don't sleep and root in shit, and are not filthy animals.

Not to be contrarian, but pigs are one of the cleanest animals:

www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/the-joy-of-pigs-...clean-and-lean/2126/

Do you sweat like a pig? Chances are you don’t, especially if you can wring out your shirt at the end of a hot day. Contrary to popular belief, pigs are unable to sweat; instead, they wallow in mud to cool down. Their mucky appearance gives pigs an undeserved reputation for slovenliness. In fact, pigs are some of the cleanest animals around, refusing to excrete anywhere near their living or eating areas when given a choice.

Pigs are misunderstood in many ways. Many people think of them as portly and stupid, but the NATURE program The Joy of Pigs shows us how intelligent pigs really are. (They are naturally lean, too, unless they are overfed by humans.) Pigs are smarter than any other domestic animal. Their ability to solve problems, like the pig I.Q. test on The Joy of Pigs, is well-documented, and they are considered by animal experts to be more trainable than dogs or cats.

Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 14:46 by Space Ghost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Columbob, Josh Look, JEM

More
25 Feb 2016 16:13 #223304 by dave
Boobs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Black Barney

More
25 Feb 2016 16:51 #223307 by boothwah
Yer Mom.

More
25 Feb 2016 17:33 #223308 by the_jake_1973
Turkey bacon = heresy.

More
25 Feb 2016 17:37 #223309 by Black Barney
Jake is antisemitic

More
25 Feb 2016 17:41 - 25 Feb 2016 17:41 #223310 by Black Barney
There, I said it.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2016 17:41 by Black Barney.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.258 seconds