October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Friday Forum - STUPID AS #$%^ PEOPLE YOU KNOW

More
06 May 2016 14:06 #227124 by boothwah
Inspired by the Kirby thread.

Everytime I get a robo-call at work, I think to myself - How many calls do these things have to make before they actually reach a moron stupid enough to give them some money. I mean their success rate has to be greater than zero, or they would find another scam. What does that stupid sap look like?

IN THIS THREAD - Share tales of stupid #$%^s that were dumb enough to fall for scams.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2016 14:20 #227125 by boothwah
My entry -

Back when I was a bank manager, I actually had to engage in an investigation for a client who had sent off a @ $5k cashiers check to a "Canadian Barrister" to pay the taxes on his portion of a "Railway Right of Way and Land Use" Settlement. The basic premise was he got some "official letters" stating that a lengthy class action settlement had been awarded and they needed him to contact them to verify info. He got some kind of spiel about how lucky he was to have been listed as a benificiary, transactions dated back to 1902, we'll have this all along to you shortly - followed by another letter informing him that all non-canadian residents needed to pay the canadian taxes on the sums before the lawyers could release funds - at @ 10% of the funds being the tax amount - So he sent $5k expecting a $50k payday.

What a maroon - I asked him :

Did you ever have any family that lived in Canada?

No my Mom and Dad emigrated from (can't remember but 2 middle euro states - I think Romania and Poland)

Have you ever invested outside of the US?

No all my money is in my farm...

So what made you think that you were owed money from some Canadian Rail Road?

.........The letters looked very official.

More
06 May 2016 14:41 #227131 by SuperflyPete
I got a call back maybe 12-13 years ago from a stock broker. Random call. Guy told me about this deal with a national chain of grocers who was experiencing a stock drop, but that analysts (names I knew) were saying it was going to come back big as shit.

I said, sure. What the hell. I'll take 300.

300 SHARES, he says?

No, 300$.

Well, he got all irate about how this was a waste of time, to which I responded in classic Pete form, "Well, motherfucker, you called me, so who's wasting whose time here?"

After his pause, he took the order.

The company in question was Winn-Dixie, which went into bankruptcy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
06 May 2016 15:40 #227147 by boothwah
Another new scam that I've seen pop up - I live in a coastal community - just got named the most beautiful town in America by some hack travel blogger at expedia : viewfinder.expedia.com/features/the-30-m...ul-towns-in-america/

Anyhoo - The rental market is brutal for people to find housing in - And I have had a number of my ads "spoofed" on craigsilst shortly after filling house - the scammers copy my photo and text and "relist" the house for $300/$400 less a month - far far below that market value - And people, who live here in town, and know the market, give out their personal info over an application to a gmail account. The local PD said they had 15 reports (in a town of @9k) of people who had ID theft from these spoofs last year.

If it looks too good to be true....

More
06 May 2016 15:59 #227149 by Black Barney
i used to find this stuff a mix of funny and anger-inducing, until I read an article in Consumer Reports which shows how much old people fall for this stuff. It's awful. Now it just makes me sad knowing that some nice old person with minor dementia is going to totally open up their wallet to this.

i had someone call once saying my wife (at the time) owed money and they were a collection agency. i tried collecting information about what the debt was and exactly how much are we talking about. I then challenged them to give me the name and address of their company so I could validate if this is real and he said, "for legal reasons we can't divulge that" then he says, "look, we'll just be happy to take anything, any kind of payment you make will help and go a long way to putting this account back in good status and we don't have to escalate"

the fact that he quickly chose to go for any amount he could get was another, of several red flags, so I had their number so I said I was going to put them in the FBI fraud file (which you can totally do online, I did it) for eventual potential investigation and all that. So the dude now realizing he's not getting anything says, "sir, i really don't want to change the tone of this call" which of course made me laugh immediately, "lol, oh yeah? Change it to what?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Columbob, boothwah

More
06 May 2016 16:53 - 06 May 2016 17:40 #227154 by Black Barney
Jesus, I'm taking the subway home and these two young girls in private school uniforms are making out while waiting for the subway. I'm a hot mess. If I can find a way to film this discreetly, I'll save a lot of money on the Internet.

...it's been an hour and booth hasn't stamped this with a certain bears approval yet?? What gives?
Last edit: 06 May 2016 17:40 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah

More
06 May 2016 18:21 #227162 by boothwah

Black Barney wrote: Jesus, I'm taking the subway home and these two young girls in private school uniforms are making out while waiting for the subway. I'm a hot mess. If I can find a way to film this discreetly, I'll save a lot of money on the Internet.

...it's been an hour and booth hasn't stamped this with a certain bears approval yet?? What gives?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 May 2016 18:42 #227163 by Da Bid Dabid
I thought this post was gonna be about Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Black Barney, boothwah

More
06 May 2016 21:20 #227171 by wadenels
I get these calls that tell me I've won a cruise. They're awesome.

You push the Talk button, put your ear to the phone, and get WHAAAAOOOOOMP. It's a cruise ship horn. Loud as all hell. I laugh every time it happens. It's like the sales company is giving sending me a beacon, a North Star that tells me, "It's time to hang up."

It should make me mad, but it's immediate. I hear the horn, get a laugh, and end the call. WHAAAAAAOOOOOOMP. Go team, or something. It's too comical to be real. Somebody at HQ for these calls must have thought that was just grand, and I can't get over how stupid it is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.551 seconds