October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2693 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Nerf: 70fps foam death fun for everyone!

More
15 Jun 2016 22:13 #228984 by Colorcrayons
Nerf wars. Why is this not discussed anywhere on this site yet? Y'all cannot really be that sedentary.

Last christmas I bought a small arsenal for the family, and enough rubber tipped foam darts to fill a small ammo crate for each person. A Strongarm pistol revolver for each as that seems to be the gold standard in nerf sidearms, A rebelle guardian crossbow for the wee 9 year old auburn lass who loves Merida from Brave, a doomlands lawbringer for the 7 year old heathen spawn (replacing his retaliator which was a piece of crap), a stryfe battery powered flywheel blaster for She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed and a first order stormtrooper blaster with an extra 24 round clip for myself.

A couple days later, I woke my fragrant blossom of the date palm from her slumber, and said: "Let's hunt the children down". She eagerly agreed with a bloodthirsty grin that shocked even me. I suppose being a mom grants a woman a certain amount of pent up anger towards her children.
From the balcony in the house we called the kids over. The innocent kids didn't anticipate our ambush, and the ensuing foam rain upon their bodies was sublime. There was much wailing, rending of cloth and gnashing of teeth as they scrambled for both cover, and their own caches of nerf blasters to respond to our treachery. After an hour long firefight, our bloodthirst slaked, we had pancakes.

Over the course of the next few months, we've slowly increased our collective arsenal. So many fun things in the nerf line.
The game changed a lot after I bought the mega dart nerf guns. The Rotofury is truly a thing of beauty. A pump action tommy gun with a 10 round drum. "Say hello to my little friend" will become your initial thought as you wrap your eager fingers around it for the first time. The darts also whistle as they seek their mark, giving the already harder hitting rounds a considerable psychological impact as well. Delicious.
In a couple weeks the mega mastodon will be released. A full auto 24 round drum blaster that looks like a space marine heavy bolter that will ravish your wallet for $80. Only disgusting people who are overcompensating will buy one. Like me.
But with great weapons come great responsibility. Mega rounds do hit harder, and nerf rounds can stray from your intended trajectory on their torso or derriere as they flee in terror. The plastic nerf rival face masks saved my relationship, and kept CPS off of my back.

With summer upon us, it only gets more fun as we go to the wooded parks.

Thrifty people can find good deals second hand, or with great off brand alternatives that give nerf real competition.

Great fun. For the price of a premium boardgame, your whole family can learn important life skills such as flanking fire, the importance of cover, team work and others that will help my family in the imminent zombie apocalypse.

Because of my treachery, I now have to sleep with a strongarm in the nigntstand to defend myself against the occasional morning ambushes that the larval heathens stage against me. They have even gone so far as to remove my ammo from it prior to attack. Fuckin' shits. I'm proud of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2016 03:15 #228986 by Michael Barnes
My son wanted to take his Strongarm over to his friend's house and I was like "I don't know, some parents don't like their kids playing with toy guns". We get over there and they had like every Nerf gun ever made. Zombie Strike, Doomlands, the new Modulus stuff...grenade launchers, sniper rifles...I've never seen anything like it. Like, Nerf guns all over the house. The parents were trying to have the usual adult conversations with me and I was completely not paying attention because I was playing with the guns.

Then the dad offered to have a beer with me before he left to pray for Ramadan. Ha!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Jackwraith, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
16 Jun 2016 08:17 #228987 by Black Barney
my sister had her boys playing with this stuff on my last visit. High velocity darts that hurt a bit if they hit you, never mind if you get one in the eye. The boys are shooting these guns all over the house, making a ton of noise when they hit the walls. Then they play Lego Avengers on Xbox and tell my girl she can't watch cuz it’s too violent. Later on the four of us are watching Netflix so I put on family Guy and leave room. My sister finds out and explodes at me. Threatening to never invite me back

I don't understand the value system of that household
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jackwraith, edulis, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
16 Jun 2016 12:21 - 16 Jun 2016 12:40 #228996 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: My son wanted to take his Strongarm over to his friend's house and I was like "I don't know, some parents don't like their kids playing with toy guns". We get over there and they had like every Nerf gun ever made.

I kinda didn't want to at first. I've been on the receiving end of actual guns, with a few scars on the leg, torso and neck with the added bonus of some psychological scars. I actually mentally cringe during cash and guns sometimes.

But for some reason with nerf stuff it seems different. I have no idea how to explain that psychology.

Perhaps its like playing tag. Just with an enourmous reach. Tag is always fun.

Black Barney wrote: I don't understand the value system of that household

At the risk of being overly familiar with a stranger on the internet and heaping onto the local running gag of Black Barney being a less than savory example of humanity with questionable morals:

Well, she is YOUR sister. What did you expect?

The only way out is to buy her a cycloneshock and an extra 20 rounds of whistlin' megadeth.

Last edit: 16 Jun 2016 12:40 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Jun 2016 12:59 #228999 by Chapel
Working in a cube farm with a couple dozen man children, of course we have our daily arsenal and random skirmishes. We have all types of guns of differing caliburs and rate of fire, but I took it up a notch with this winner, and along with it, the fear factor, because damn, it really hurts....You do not want to take one of these at point blank range.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
16 Jun 2016 15:06 #229011 by southernman
My lad had one like this in his arsenal a few years back, I think it's in the loft now as he's 17 and can't be prised off his PC:

More
16 Jun 2016 16:11 #229015 by SebastianBludd
My sons have a large stockpile of Nerf guns and I'm hoping to get into some larger scale battles now that we've moved to a larger house.

Last Halloween my son wanted to go as some sort of post-apoc gas mask trooper with cloak, (rubber mask) gas mask and a Nerf gun. He was (and still is) absolutely bonkers for the movie Aliens and he really wanted an M41A Pulse Rifle of some sort. There are budget versions - and downloadable plans - for making prop versions out of paper or styrene, all the way up to airsoft versions that cost $280 and up. I didn't have the time or money for either version and after unsuccessfully scouring thrift shops for Nerf guns I could convert, I looked at his collection and realized that I could use his Zombie Strike Longshot. Granted, no one's going to confuse the painted Longshot with an actual M41A, but the overall shape is close - even if the stock is far too thick - and I'm happy with how it turned out, especially considering it only cost me the price of a few cans of spray paint and a couple hours spread over a few days.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
16 Jun 2016 20:20 #229040 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I have taken a nerf bullet in the eye, so now whenever we play everyone wears glasses, as I don't want that to happen to anyone else as it really hurt for about a week. We acquired a small arsenal after playing with a friend, and it gets brought out every now and then. The novelty wears off really quickly, so we ended up with my friends arsenal as well (which does include the belt fed gun Southernman posted). We tended to find that the guns holding 1-6 bullets were by far the most fun, as reloading the big ones takes far too long so you end up out of the action for large stretches of time.

More
16 Jun 2016 20:29 #229041 by Not Sure
Strongarm is the current go-to basic gun, but as a veteran of the cube wars, the classic Maverick is the critical gun to have.

It's easy to pull out the restrictors, and then it's more than a match for any of the current series. It shoots any dart you can stuff in the barrels, rarely jams, and you can reload it while dodging. The weird ammos never made it at work, because once you shoot all of them across the room, you don't get them back unless someone else has a matching gun. Even whistlers versus the slimline clip darts could become an issue (thus the Maverick)

However, my work became a lot less fun (mostly through attrition) so we rarely shoot anyone anymore.

Chapel is right about that Rival, though. That's a huge step up in the arms race, those are pretty harsh.

More
18 Jun 2016 14:31 - 18 Jun 2016 14:35 #229108 by Colorcrayons
I don't seem to have compatibility issues with ammo since whistlers, streamlines, etc are really rare nowadays. Most people seem to discard certain darts after awhile due to use and abuse. A dart becomes crinkled, and its garbage.

The maverick is respectable though and the only issue I've had was the revolving chamber not lining up with the air release on some shots causing a misfire or just a did shot. The strong arm fixed that, along with a seal that projects against the revolving chamber with each shot for better performance. But you can find maveriks at nearly every second hand shop for a buck, so not having one is nearly criminal.

On the subject of darts, I'm a tight ass. I refuse to buy elite Nerf darts when other manufacturers have an equitable or better product.
Zuru makes 30 dart refill packs for their X Shots line that are really great. Bright yellow foam to find them easier and the tips are better designed to allow more accuracy in my experience. Plus, they are cheap.
Dollar General sells them for $3
The official Nerf equivalent retails for over 4x's that much.

Last edit: 18 Jun 2016 14:35 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

More
19 Jun 2016 23:41 #229129 by Michael Barnes
Anybody played with the Doominator? I kind of want it...

More
19 Jun 2016 23:55 #229130 by hotseatgames

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I have taken a nerf bullet in the eye, so now whenever we play everyone wears glasses, as I don't want that to happen to anyone else as it really hurt for about a week. We acquired a small arsenal after playing with a friend, and it gets brought out every now and then. The novelty wears off really quickly, so we ended up with my friends arsenal as well (which does include the belt fed gun Southernman posted). We tended to find that the guns holding 1-6 bullets were by far the most fun, as reloading the big ones takes far too long so you end up out of the action for large stretches of time.

In college I co-oped at Kenner one summer. I spent a lot of time over in the Nerf department. They all had modded guns and I saw a prototype shoulder mounted RPG that launched an empty 2-liter bottle hard enough to knock you over.

Anyway, in the testing department I saw how each gun is fired X times... into a fake human eyeball. If it punctures the fake eye, they chuck the gun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Jun 2016 06:27 #229133 by birdman37

hotseatgames wrote: Anyway, in the testing department I saw how each gun is fired X times... into a fake human eyeball. If it punctures the fake eye, they chuck the gun.

They're nerfing their own guns? Oh, wait...

More
20 Jun 2016 23:46 #229162 by Michael Barnes
We armed up. I got a Demolisher because, well, it looks just like a combi-bolter. I am seriously thinking about priming this thing and painting it, then sticking a FIMO Aquila and a purity seal on it. You can't tell me their designers haven't looked to 40k for inspiration. It's a pretty great semi auto and I love that it fires a big goofy looking missile.

I got Scarlett a Rebelle Red Repeater or whatever it is from a TJ Maxx but it was DOA. Let her pick between the Everfierce bow and the Fair Fortune crossbow (it had to be one with a charm bracelet). She went with the bow. Magic bullets, she said.

River wanted a Modulus but I felt like it was a bit too much for "daddy blowing money" day. So his second choice was the Zombie Strike one with the circular saw. But it only has two shots, so I dissuaded him- it's more of a holdout blaster. He gravitated toward the Slingfire, which is REALLY cool IMO. It's a lever action shotgun that takes a standard magazine. Even an 18 shot one or a drum.

At first he was disappointed...try telling a 6 year old that "fun to shoot" is more important than "most powerful" or "fastest". Scarlett didn't care. She drove her Barbie jeep around while I sat up on the play set trying to "blow it up" with the missiles. Then she popped me in the jaw with the bow.

Beware that Target has doofy prices on these. In store, Demolisher was $39.99. Online, $31.99. Slingfire in store was $24.99, online $16.79. I went up to the service desk and asked them to honor the online prices.

I think I am going to get a Flipfire or Hammerstrike next for a sidearm. We already had a Strongarm, which is actually still probably the best one we have.

More
21 Jun 2016 10:32 #229167 by Chapel
This is my current office arsenal. My sidearm is the hammer strike, which actually has a lot of umph and accuracy, and feels good in the hand,

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.322 seconds