October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Happy Father's Day!

More
19 Jun 2016 10:02 - 19 Jun 2016 10:03 #229117 by Cranberries
My dad passed away about two years ago. We did play a game of Battleline when he was still a little bit loopy, but it was like the game accessed the part of his brain that was still sharp. I heard fragments of stories from when he was newly married that he had a poker addiction. He actually had many addictions, some of them documented by the box of photos my mom had me burn after he passed away. We left for Qatar when he was in a nursing home. As I visited him for the last time, he focused, looked me in the eyes and told me he loved me. Here's to our dads, in all their imperfect, human glory.

What about the rest of you? How are you like your fathers?
Last edit: 19 Jun 2016 10:03 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2016 11:59 #229118 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Happy Father's Day!
We both like silly humor: bad puns, Three Stooges, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Jun 2016 13:56 #229119 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Happy Father's Day!
Sense of humour, socially comfortable and gaming. Yup that was my daddy. Miss him.

Having late brunch with my little girl at a breakfast place and she made me a certificate saying I'm the best dad. She dated it and put as location "egq plasce" cuz she has no idea what this place is called. Love it.

More
19 Jun 2016 16:03 - 19 Jun 2016 16:04 #229120 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Happy Father's Day!
My dad and I have the same forehead, shoulders, and legs.

He also taught me how to play Chess at 6, Pinochle at 8, and let me start collecting an allowance at 9 to fuel my weekly purchase of a 4th Edition or Ice Age 60-card starter pack. I showed him how to play Settlers of Catan and some other games later on, but he's more into music, art, theater, and local sports teams like the Cubs, Bulls, and Bears. He has never been a hockey fan, although I guess he was pretty good at golf and doubles tennis back in the day. He was never into typical geeky stuff, which I think is a big reason that I'm not. I never saw Star Trek growing up, and we never owned a single comic book, although he did recommend that I read the Hobbit. He's probably even a bit older than some of your dads. I'm 31 (in July) and he's 77. He was able to pay for his college tuition to top universities by caddying and doing construction over the summers- things were different in the late 50s and early 60s. I've long feared that I won't have children before he dies (I never met his parents), but at least he already has 5 grandkids from my older siblings.

We are also both very pensive, passive, agreeable, and awful procrastinators. He worked as a teacher in Africa for 3 years in his 20s in part because he wasn't sure exactly what he wanted to do with his life.
Last edit: 19 Jun 2016 16:04 by Jexik.

More
19 Jun 2016 21:04 #229124 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Happy Father's Day!
My dad was a man of impeccable taste. He introduced me to Shogun, The Mission, The Female (Paul I Wellman), and many more. Not bad for someone's living on the other side of US of A. When I had Nintendo, he only played two games, but he played them for years: The Legend of Kage and Golf. We also played Scrabble (using dictionary as he insisted for us to play in English). Once he chased me in a KKK-style mask made of newspaper when we had a power outage (he actually hid in the ditch under the carport to ambush us).

He died to heart attack at the age of 54 years, alone, away from us, something that my family still remember in pain.

More
19 Jun 2016 22:19 #229128 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Happy Father's Day!

dysjunct wrote: We both like silly humor: bad puns, Three Stooges, etc.

I called him today, as is appropriate, and caught up. I don't talk to him all that often: in a perfect world, I alternate calling him weekly with calling my mom weekly. (They are still married, but alterenating updates is easier because there's more to talk about when you only talk every two weeks.) In the actual world I miss weeks and feel guilty.

He had a really weird form of cancer, a leukemia variant. It's treatable but he has to be on drugs the rest of his life. A small price to pay, of course. He is now officially in remission, so that's awesome.

I live a nine hour drive away from him. That is kind of challenging. My siblings live 5 minutes and 30 minutes away from him. So he sees my nieces and nephews a lot more than he sees my kid.

Other than Three Stooges and similarly silly humor, we often have a difficult relationship. He is super-religious and I am not. Everything that happens to him, he filters through his belief system. I don't begrudge anyone their beliefs, but it creates situations where there is nothing to discuss between us. It is difficult to have a heartfelt and productive conversation with someone for whom the president's likely identity as the antichrist is an article of faith. So we studiously avoid difficult topics and keep it to family news, my job, cute things my kid had done, etc.

It can feel superficial, but then I read the posts from people whose dads have died and I feel like an unappreciative jerk. The best thing I got from my old man, I think, is the conviction to always do the right thing even if it is unpopular or difficult. That conviction had led me down paths that he doesn't approve of, or at least doesn't understand (e.g. playing nerd games well into adulthood, for a site-appropriate example) but for better or worse I owe it to him. Good job, dad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.508 seconds