October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The US Eclipse

More
21 Aug 2017 13:26 #252758 by southernman
The US Eclipse was created by southernman
OK - I am officially jealous of all you guys near the transit line, I have just seen the first shots on TV here as it hit Oregon and - YES - it would be something I would travel to see if I lived in a nearby, or even far off, state.
Pretty awesome lifetime experience people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Not Sure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Aug 2017 14:01 #252760 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic The US Eclipse
The full effect in this area is in a few minutes. Too cloudy to be other than to say that it is a very dark and cloudy day. May as well not even be occurring in Minneapolis.

More
21 Aug 2017 14:01 #252761 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic The US Eclipse
We're in the yard looking at it...97% totality here, around 2:30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
21 Aug 2017 14:15 #252762 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The US Eclipse
Thanks to a co-worker, I went outside and briefly looked at the partial eclipse an hour ago. Through the glasses, it looked like an orange crescent moon against a pitch-black sky. Right now, it is supposedly at the peak of the partial eclipse here in Minnesota, and... it looks like it's going to rain soon. If I took the day off to go watch the eclipse, I would be kicking myself right now for wasting a vacation day.

More
21 Aug 2017 14:21 - 21 Aug 2017 14:24 #252764 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic The US Eclipse
i can't think of anything more American than calling the eclipse the "US eclipse" LOL

also it's cloudy as meatballs here in Maine so i can't see it as hard as I try to look directly at it. nuts.

..ok it's sunnier now so I tried looking at it but it doesn't look dark at all. Now my eyes hurt like hell and I'm having trouble telling the difference between sauce and gravy
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 14:24 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, Frohike, sornars

More
21 Aug 2017 14:30 #252767 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic The US Eclipse
I went outside and a co-worker had glasses, so I looked. But it was behind a cloud, so all I saw was black.

It was still more exciting than the board game Eclipse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Black Barney, Da Bid Dabid, Frohike, sornars

More
21 Aug 2017 14:35 #252770 by Joebot
Replied by Joebot on topic The US Eclipse

hotseatgames wrote: I went outside and a co-worker had glasses, so I looked. But it was behind a cloud, so all I saw was black.

It was still more exciting than the board game Eclipse.

HA! Agreed on that.

Totally overcast here in Chicago. It got darker during the peak, but because it's been cloudy all day, it just made it seem ... a little bit cloudier. I guess my perception would have been different if it had been a bright, sunny day to start with. Looking through the glasses was kinda neat, the few times you could catch a glimpse peaking out of the clouds.

So, overall, I rate this eclipse a weak 3.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike

More
21 Aug 2017 14:56 - 21 Aug 2017 14:57 #252773 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic The US Eclipse
Riva Maryland, watching between clouds, raining on us while we view it. Strangest weather but we got to watch the whole time to maximum coverage.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 14:57 by Sagrilarus.

More
21 Aug 2017 15:00 #252775 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic The US Eclipse
Saw the totality here in Oregon, about 60 miles south of my house. Not a cloud in the sky. The significant temperature drop was weird feeling. I took some pitures and video.

Now trying to get home and traffic is completely fucked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike

More
21 Aug 2017 15:01 - 21 Aug 2017 15:16 #252776 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic The US Eclipse
i can't think of anything more American than calling the eclipse the "US eclipse" LOL

A lot of the glasses I've seen had American flags on them and so forth.

We actually didn't get glasses until YESTERDAY. I saw them at Kroger about a month ago and thought "eh, I'll get 'em later". Then they completely disappeared. Found out yesterday that this science museum in town had them in their gift shop so I went...and waited like 45 minutes to buy them.

It was cool, we just had 97% coverage here but it got dark, cool, and you could see the shadow of the moon on the ground through the trees. I kind of wish it was like that all the time, the muted light. I'm a night person. We could see the whole thing in our yard, no need to travel or anything like that.

It was also extremely stressful with a 5 year old and a 7 year old who do not understand the gravity of the sentence "YOU WILL BE BLINDED FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE". My son took his completely off when he heard a fucking jet.

Then my daughter had a meltdown over a lollipop in the middle of it, and declared that this rare celestial event "wasn't worth it".

Also, we listened to Black Sabbath the whole time. I played "Under the Sun" when it was darkest.
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 15:16 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries, Black Barney, Frohike

More
21 Aug 2017 15:25 #252781 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic The US Eclipse
We get a decent view of it here in Vancouver... and my six year old understood very well what 'blinded for you life' means... so much in fact he's been afraid to go outside. But he's been doing great on his reading lessons so he was allowed to just sit around playing skylanders until the eclipse ended. A rare treat for him.

I wasn't all that impressed with it... kind of boring for me. But I did like the way the world looked during the eclipse... not the sun itself but the rest of the world had a surreal glow to it like I was living in a movie with weird filters on all the cameras.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
21 Aug 2017 15:29 - 21 Aug 2017 18:16 #252782 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic The US Eclipse
I had to drive a bit north to get into totality, but it was worth it. Living in an empty state occasionally has some advantages.

Kids had the day off school for eclipse madness as well. The difference between 99.9% at my house and 100% where we were is not to be believed. Any visible portion of the sun is enough to say "well it's dark and that's weird", but when it's totally covered, and you take off the glasses to see this firey ring in the sky it's truly bizarre.

Temperature dropped what felt like twenty degrees, and we had dogs or coyotes screaming across the valley.

Then a fingernail of sun comes back and it's too bright to look at, and the sky resets itself. We headed home with probably 25% sun visible, because it was enough to look like a regular hazy day.

(iphone picture of totality on page 2)
Last edit: 21 Aug 2017 18:16 by Not Sure. Reason: picture embedding woes
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Cranberries, Frohike

More
21 Aug 2017 15:35 #252785 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic The US Eclipse

Black Barney wrote: i can't think of anything more American than calling the eclipse the "US eclipse" LOL

I just did because i thought the transit line was only through the US, didn't realize south-west Mooseland got to see a decent bit of it as well.
When you're all old buggers you'll be glad you took the time to see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Aug 2017 16:14 #252794 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic The US Eclipse
We would have had to drive a good 8 hours to get to totality, so we satisfied ourselves with about 84 percent. Still got a chance to see that though, so that's neat.

There will be another passing through Ohio and Michigan in 2024. I will get totality on that's one for sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
21 Aug 2017 16:23 #252796 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic The US Eclipse

Black Barney wrote: i can't think of anything more American than calling the eclipse the "US eclipse" LOL

also it's cloudy as meatballs here in Maine so i can't see it as hard as I try to look directly at it. nuts.

..ok it's sunnier now so I tried looking at it but it doesn't look dark at all. Now my eyes hurt like hell and I'm having trouble telling the difference between sauce and gravy

Except that the guy who started the thread isn't American you twat.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds