October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Holiday Gift Ideas

More
23 Oct 2017 15:56 #256208 by Mr. White
Holiday Gift Ideas was created by Mr. White
With the Crossfire discussion out there, the FFG sale upcoming, etc. let's go ahead and get this going in one place.

I'm considering a Kano for my son (10), but fear it may be too basic. He can code in Scratch (which is free), so what are we really gaining here by dropping $100+ besides the hassle of having to put the thing together and take it apart around each use?

Does it browse the net decently? Can you do any sort of word processing? How much does it guide the kid into Python, or do they only see the gui?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2017 18:05 #256219 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Holiday Gift Ideas
I'm trying to work out a way to get either Mindstorms or the new Lego Boost thing for my son at a discount...I think Mindstorms has more legs, but Boost is probably more on his level at this point.

Scarlett is pretty much all about American Girl stuff. Goddamighty.

I have no idea about the Radio Shack jargon above.

More
23 Oct 2017 20:15 #256228 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Holiday Gift Ideas
Have you take Scarlet to the American Girl Cafe?

More
23 Oct 2017 21:00 #256229 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Holiday Gift Ideas
The male spawn wants a guitar, so I'm buying rocksmith on the ps3 and a decent albeit cheap guitar to learn on.

I have no idea for what to get the female spawn yet. Possibly harry potter ephemera.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
23 Oct 2017 21:21 #256230 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Holiday Gift Ideas

ubarose wrote: Have you take Scarlet to the American Girl Cafe?

Oh yes...we went to the one in NYC back in February. She finally got one of the dolls in August for her birthday. She went with Maryellen, the 1954 one. I almost stupidly bought her (the doll) the Midcentury boomerang coffee table. That stuff is seriously like the Games Workshop of dolls.

Thing is, I actually kind of like them. They are obsessive and a little weird. The quality is way higher than most other dolls out there...not like Madame Alexander or anything, but they are definitely a few cuts above anything from a big retailer.

I tried to get her into the bootleg Target ones, "My Generation", but she said bluntly "those are fake".

She went to a friend's party a couple of weeks ago, it was American Girl themed...I went to pick her up and Maryellen was lying face down in the middle of the floor in her emerald green taffeta party dress. Suppose she had one petit four too many.

CC, if your girl is into Potter and you want to spend a bunch of money, look at the new line of HP stuff at PBTeen...the stuff is really awesome, very tasteful and cool- not "fan merch" type junk. My son is also big into HP, he said he was going to get (and I quote) "all of the Harry Potter stuff" for Christmas. I'm like "dude, where were you 10 years ago".

More
23 Oct 2017 22:16 #256231 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Holiday Gift Ideas
American Girl dolls are high quality play dolls. If I put mine* and The Spawn's all out for you, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the one that was almost 30 years old and the one that is only 7 years old. They can stand up to birthday parties, sand boxes, and getting dragged around by their leg - Madame Alexander dolls, not so much. MA are pretty but are made to stand on a shelf and be admired, not snuggle in bed, and then fall out and bounce on their head. And the Target dolls are crap. They last maybe a year before their eye balls jam, and their hair becomes a mess.

*Yes, I have a lot of doll shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds