October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

The Four

More
09 Feb 2018 15:45 - 09 Feb 2018 17:06 #263289 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic The Four

Jackwraith wrote:

Msample wrote: As soon as investors tire of his string of unfulfilled promises and the cash infusion stops, that place will shut down instantly.

People said the same thing about Bezos and Amazon for 20 years. Twenty. Years. And they still don't post a significant profit every quarter. But they continue to expand into new markets and formats (and a space program, just like Tesla) on a regular basis. You know how many people watched the launch of a car into space this week? That's marketing, yo. Not a week goes by that I don't read or hear sentiments just like the above, but somehow he keeps going. At the moment, if I were to have skin in the game, I'd be betting on Musk.

But in the case of Amazon, they have always had substantial revenues - they posted losses because they kept plowing them back into the business.

Edit : Oh, and Amazon just posted a $1.9 billion dollar profit last quarter, 10th quarter in a row of profits.
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 17:06 by Msample.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Feb 2018 16:30 #263292 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic The Four

boothwah wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I think it's sort of telling that as retail is slumming, the one brick and mortar retail sector that's booming is the Dollar General/Dollar Tree type wing.

the-retail-apocalypse-isnt-just-amazon-its-that-the-middle-class-is-disappearing

For sure, the shrinking middle class is also part of the problem. Which, in turn, causes these families to look for cheaper options (Amazon, Walmart, etc).

It's too easy for us to become a snake eating our own tail for survival.

More
09 Feb 2018 20:02 #263316 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic The Four
I deleted my Facebook account for the third or fourth time. I gave my smart phone to my son when his broke. I did this not for ideological reasons but because I had to bring my anxiety levels down, and it seems to have helped a little. I use a MacBook but my next laptop will be something with a metal case, decent battery life, a full travel keyboard and Linux. Narrowing my choices (yes, I know there's a book on this) is making my life simpler. We are trying hard not to use our overdraft while my wife looks for work, and only being able to spend $30 at the grocery store felt liberating. I was in and out in minutes, had everything I needed, and it was pretty easy to put it all away. My inconspicuous consumption needs right now are met by going to the library on dollar per bag day, grabbing some good stuff, then flipping it at the used bookstore for in-store credit. It takes about an hour, and I get the same dopamine rush as I would from buying new books. My problem right now is that, in order to track our finances more closely, we've merged our checking accounts so I have no place to hide my money from Ebay and Amazon sales. I'm not sure how to get around that.

Apparently Damien Hirst has a new installation here in Orem. The top photo is a censored piece in Doha.
Attachments:

More
09 Feb 2018 20:05 #263317 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic The Four

Msample wrote: Edit : Oh, and Amazon just posted a $1.9 billion dollar profit last quarter, 10th quarter in a row of profits.

11th, actually. But my point was "significant profit." On revenues of ~$30 billion, only about half of those quarters posted a significant share increase. And that last quarter was significantly influenced by the US tax cut legislation, which added about 3/4 of a billion to their margin.

So, my point still stands. Bezos took 20 years to get to a significant return, was still losing money as late as 2015, and yet stayed in business that long because investors were pleased with his overall progress. Last I knew, most of the big money back up Musk was taking the same perspective.

More
10 Feb 2018 01:51 #263323 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Four
I just wish you’d have kept messenger, Mark. I enjoyed our occasional chats and looked forward to them.

More
10 Feb 2018 07:54 #263327 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic The Four
The Four:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Black Barney, Jackwraith

More
10 Feb 2018 10:07 - 10 Feb 2018 10:09 #263338 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The Four
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/2/2a/The_Umbrella_Corporation_Logo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170304192012

I was going to post an image of the Umbrella Corporation here, but can't find one at a non-https site. F:AT no longer allows us to post images from https sites.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 10:09 by Shellhead.

More
10 Feb 2018 11:16 #263343 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic The Four
The bigger threat isn't the loss of shopping alternatives, it's the loss of employment alternatives. With fewer potential employers, it's harder for workers to get reasonable compensation and benefits. And automation is a big priority for many large companies, so they can replace flawed and unreliable flesh with efficient machines and toss out the HR handbook. You may think that your job will never be automated, but you may be in a for a surprise someday. For example, I thought that writers would never be replaced by automation, but there is already software that does an adequate job of writing a new story from a set of facts.

Automation could make our world a heaven or a hell, and it comes down to a question of which political orientation wins out. Conservatives would give us an automated hell where a small set of fabulously wealthy plutocrats rule a planet load of poor unemployed people. Liberals would give us an automated heaven where machines provide a comfortable basic lifestyle for the masses, free from labor and able to pursue a life of leisure. The key question will be "basic income." How much money will the unemployed be given to live on, and will there be restrictions on having children to avoid overloading demand for available resources.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2018 11:20 #263344 by stoic

Shellhead wrote: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/villains/images/2/2a/The_Umbrella_Corporation_Logo.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170304192012

I was going to post an image of the Umbrella Corporation here, but can't find one at a non-https site. F:AT no longer allows us to post images from https sites.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2018 12:52 #263352 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic The Four
What are the two bottom corporations Stoic?

More
10 Feb 2018 13:09 #263353 by stoic

Black Barney wrote: What are the two bottom corporations Stoic?

The owl shape on orange is the Tyrell Corporation from Blade Runner.

"E-Corp" is one of many evil corporations that control the world via a shadow government in the tv series Mr. Robot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Feb 2018 13:42 - 10 Feb 2018 13:45 #263355 by SuperflyPete

For sure, the shrinking middle class is also part of the problem. Which, in turn, causes these families to look for cheaper options (Amazon, Walmart, etc).

It's too easy for us to become a snake eating our own tail for survival.

Not to be combative, but something about the “middle class shrinking” thing fucks me up every time I see it.

Notice how from
1971 to 2015 there’s only 4% more people below middle class? Also note that the middle
class lost 11% in that timeframe but the top class gained 7%? (this is a cnn chart, too).

Do the math there.

Of the original 61% of the middle class, 4% descended into poverty, but 7% “made it”. Is t that mostly a success story? Especially when you consider that the population in 1971 was ~100 million less than now?

The middle class as a percentage is shrinking, but the NUMBER of people living in prosperity is nothing short than miraculous.

Not saying that everything is peachy, but it’s totally disingenuous or misinformed to assume that “shrinking middle class” means that the people no longer there became poorer, when CNN’s chart tells us that almost twice as many people (percentage) became rich than became poor.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2018 13:45 by SuperflyPete.

More
10 Feb 2018 14:21 #263358 by SuperflyPete

This is truly fucked up. I only wish they’d have tested a third phone that was powered off.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
15 Feb 2018 12:48 - 15 Feb 2018 13:01 #263673 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic The Four
www.billboard.com/articles/business/8099...ans-over-2017-review

With these latest figures, Bandcamp took digs at its streaming giant competitors Spotify, Apple Music and Amazon Music by boasting nearly six straight years as a profitable business "that only makes money when artists make a lot more money."

Success seems possible in this area.

But the fight must go on...
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 13:01 by Mr. White.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.646 seconds