October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Help a dude get his PhD - do this survey

More
13 Mar 2018 12:42 #265573 by ubarose
So a friend of a friend is working on s PhD in board games, yeah it's a thing, and needs data. He wants to get a more diverse sample than just BGG. So let's help him out by completing his survey.

WVU Survey
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2018 13:19 #265578 by Matt Thrower
Done - and shared on Twitter
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 Mar 2018 13:48 #265585 by Black Barney
ouf, that was long. That 2nd page (the really long one) really seemed similar to common psychology-type personality tests. Must be a psychologist doing a study of board gamers? Very cool.

All the last few pages of questions were super interesting. That was fun. Hope I helped out your friend of a friend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
13 Mar 2018 14:04 #265586 by ubarose

MattDP wrote: Done - and shared on Twitter

Dude says thank you. Also he owns your book
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
13 Mar 2018 16:47 #265608 by Space Ghost

Black Barney wrote: ouf, that was long. That 2nd page (the really long one) really seemed similar to common psychology-type personality tests. Must be a psychologist doing a study of board gamers? Very cool.

It literally says it is a research project being piloted by a Communications Professor on the front page. F for reading.

Done and submitted -- always glad to help someone out who is trying to get a PhD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
13 Mar 2018 18:17 #265617 by Colorcrayons
Submitted. I put some effort into the written responses. I think I answered all the multiple choice questions in writing before I was even exposed to the multiple choice questions. XD

More
13 Mar 2018 20:14 #265631 by ubarose

Space Ghost wrote:

Black Barney wrote: ouf, that was long. That 2nd page (the really long one) really seemed similar to common psychology-type personality tests. Must be a psychologist doing a study of board gamers? Very cool.

It literally says it is a research project being piloted by a Communications Professor on the front page. F for reading.

Done and submitted -- always glad to help someone out who is trying to get a PhD

Joe is doing something with game based learning. You can read about it here: https://www.joewasserman.com

Personally, I don't think I learn shit all from playing games. Playing just an excuse to drink beer and point and mock.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
13 Mar 2018 20:15 #265632 by Erik Twice
Did the test, hope it can help.

Still, I think this test has one I flaw I see in most game studies: It puts the categorization above the actual games. That is, I don't like all games for the same reasons and while I know some people do, I don't think of myself as an "Eurogamer" or "Grognard" first and foremost, I just like games that might fall in those categories. I don't like heavy games because they are heavy, I just think they are cool.

So, for example, I don't know what to say when it asks me if I like randomness in games. Well, I do in some, don't in others. It's a vital part of the design of A Most Dangerous Time but a lack of randomness is why I prefer Steam to Age of Steam.

Not sure if anybody else also has this problem.

More
13 Mar 2018 20:43 #265633 by Colorcrayons

ubarose wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

Joe is doing something with game based learning. You can read about it here: https://www.joewasserman.com

Personally, I don't think I learn shit all from playing games. Playing just an excuse to drink beer and point and mock.

I was at odds with this because I enjoy trash, but I am equally as fond of brain burning abstracts as well.

So answering questions about learning while extolling virtues about trash was difficult.

I do firmly believe that games can be a good learning tool, and use such with the spawnlings. They illustrate in no uncertain terms that you can watch awakening happen right before your eyes with so many concepts that aren't taught in a education system that only rewards rote memorization.

More
13 Mar 2018 22:18 #265636 by Sevej
Holy shit, what a survey.

The point I added was how rules affecting player behavior, especially if it's affecting them in unintended way!

More
13 Mar 2018 22:20 #265637 by Sevej

Erik Twice wrote: Did the test, hope it can help.

Still, I think this test has one I flaw I see in most game studies: It puts the categorization above the actual games. That is, I don't like all games for the same reasons and while I know some people do, I don't think of myself as an "Eurogamer" or "Grognard" first and foremost, I just like games that might fall in those categories. I don't like heavy games because they are heavy, I just think they are cool.

So, for example, I don't know what to say when it asks me if I like randomness in games. Well, I do in some, don't in others. It's a vital part of the design of A Most Dangerous Time but a lack of randomness is why I prefer Steam to Age of Steam.

Not sure if anybody else also has this problem.

Well, that's studies for you. I mean, these surveys are a way to get a lot of data quickly. If everybody were to talk about the things they like and dislike in things X, Y, Z, that will take a lot of resources. With surveys like this, just use your gut feeling and enter the first response you think. For example with randomness, I like them in very few games, so I give the first positive answer (somewhat?).

More
13 Mar 2018 22:45 #265639 by ubarose

Colorcrayons wrote:

ubarose wrote:

Space Ghost wrote:

I was at odds with this because I enjoy trash, but I am equally as fond of brain burning abstracts as well.

So answering questions about learning while extolling virtues about trash was difficult.

I do firmly believe that games can be a good learning tool, and use such with the spawnlings. They illustrate in no uncertain terms that you can watch awakening happen right before your eyes with so many concepts that aren't taught in a education system that only rewards rote memorization.

I think that's why it has questions that seem the same but are actually a bit different,like : Do you play games to learn new things vs Do you think people can learn from playing games. No, I don't play to learn, but yes, I do believe people can learn from games.

More
14 Mar 2018 04:39 #265643 by Hex Sinister

More
14 Mar 2018 09:09 #265647 by southernman

Black Barney wrote: ouf, that was long. That 2nd page (the really long one) really seemed similar to common psychology-type personality tests. ....

Yeah, done too many of those.

The only problem I has was I didn't recognise some of the terms so a 'Don't Know response' would have made my answers more accurate, I had to select the middle ground for those ones.
I reckon my profile will come out as 'doesn't give a shit about the game, just wants to have fun .... and hates puzzles, acting and singing in games'.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
14 Mar 2018 09:13 - 14 Mar 2018 09:14 #265648 by Black Barney
Mine might show an intense desire to win :(

The middle option is weighed the same as a don’t know, so I’m sure that’s fine.

Yeah it really reminds me of various behaviour tests where they ask the same question often in different ways.

It was cool seeing the categorization of games since I noticed that most of the games I love are in two distinct categories (Euros and whatever Twilight Struggle is in), the rest I wasn’t a fan of at all. Ditto on the singing and dancing :)
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 09:14 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds